Dallis grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
I have about a 5 acre section of pasture that has a ton of Dallis grass. Doesn't look like this stuff produces much forage (when compared to Bermuda and Bahai). I don't have any cool season grasses on the place. What process would I need to go through to convert this area to ryegrass or fescue? Would I need to kill the Dallisgrass or just till and sow? Any suggestions? I'm in the central part of Arkansas.

If it were me I'd keep the dallis grass and add a clover. This would reduce amount of nitrogen you would need to apply which dallis grass is hungry for and extend the length of your grazing season. You could alway overseed with ryegrass which would work good with the dallis grass but with the price of fertilizer this route will cost you more.

Some around here do not like dallis grass but I love it. It seems to put out more grass when things get dry. It is hard to cut for hay, but other than that I like it.
Like Proverbs said I would add clover to it or maybe clover/ryegrass mix with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have the cows on it right now so I guess I'm seeing it w/ "hay eyes". It grows so close to the ground, but the leaves are wide. My ground is pretty acidic (5.5) and I wonder if I could get the clover established. I need to add some lime, but everything's so expensive right now...

Dallis grass is one of the most desirable grasses I know of for cattle grazing. It is very palatable, has a long growing season, and doesn't get tough in the Fall like Bermuda and Bahia. Put some lime on it, and nitrate for growth and your cows will love you for it.

By the way, Dallis grass will get about 3 feet high if you give it the proper nutrients and a break, now and then and makes pretty darn good hay.

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a shot. I couldn't find much about Dallisgrass for forage on the net, so I didn't have any idea about its quality.

Yeah, what Mike said. Don't you dare replace good Dallisgrass with fescue. Use what you got, and if that's the card you were dealt, you got a good hand. Also, plant some Ladino clover in that Dallisgrass and you'll have about the best pasture combo found in the South.

Seedheads can be clipped to eliminate ergot problem if it should develop. The toxicity of Dallisgrass is usually mild. I have a ton of it in our pastures and some in our Bermuda hay field and never had a problem - that I know of.

According to Southern Forages, it has better nutritive quality than bermudagrass.

By the way, dallisgrass is one word.

Billy

dallisgrass is a god send for late summer grazing around here. as strong as a perineal as it is, you'd be hard pressed to kill it out anyway.best just to encourage it

Latest posts