Cut 'em or Band 'em?

Help Support CattleToday:

Band around a month of age and I always count to two. Isn't that hard.

Never given tetanus shots to banded calves -- so far so good.

milkmaid":jp4yjqls said:

Tetanus may not be a problem everywhere, but it is highly recommended in Texas.

farmwife":1008riji said:
milkmaid":1008riji said:

we band at birth, no tetanus. if we miss one or later decide that one of the bull calves isn't growing to its potential, we'll band and give a tetanus.

txag":j5xqb9x4 said:
farmwife":j5xqb9x4 said:
milkmaid":j5xqb9x4 said:

we band at birth, no tetanus. if we miss one or later decide that one of the bull calves isn't growing to its potential, we'll band and give a tetanus.

Commercial vs Registered, but I consider the Tetanus thing more of a 'better safe than sorry' thing.

If you band at birth or shortly after and the cow has been vaccinated- the calf has some protection from tetnaus.

Two other reasons we band: 1) you can delay a decision on steer/bull, 2) don't implant with a bull, just wait and band before sale.

We do both depending on whether someone who has been invited to the branding wants the testicals (sp?) or not. We castrate at branding time - usually a month or so old - and no tetanus shot unless they are older calves that had been saved for bulls and didn't pan out.

I have done both, I prefer doing it when the calves are day old or less. I band as soon after birth as possible, and there is no way I will ever get just one.

mnmt

I wouldn't say that you will never get just one. Had a guy helping us this winter that wasn't sure what he was feeling. The first couple times I had him helping, I would check and had to cut the band off with sidecutters and do it for him. From then on I did it.

We used to cut everything, but have tried banding everything, except the registerable calves, this year and it wasn't too bad. We have also cut then at birth, but I heard that can give them water belly when they get older so we quit that. Plus it got cold to have warm fluid on your hands when the cold, winter wind is blowing.

We'll probably continue to band all the commercial calves and wait until branding for the registered calves.

farmwife":362p03ft said:
Commercial vs Registered

actually, i was talking about both. in my mind and around our place, when you're talking about castrating, there's not much difference.....once that band goes on or the knife hits him, those registration papers won't do him much good. :lol:

farmwife":mspu23af said:
txag":mspu23af said:
farmwife":mspu23af said:
milkmaid":mspu23af said:

Commercial vs Registered, but I consider the Tetanus thing more of a 'better safe than sorry' thing.

I'm confused, what does the "Commercial vs Registered" have to do with the way one castrates? Thanks!

msscamp":15a2xtgj said:
farmwife":15a2xtgj said:
txag":15a2xtgj said:
farmwife":15a2xtgj said:
milkmaid":15a2xtgj said:

I'm confused, what does the "Commercial vs Registered" have to do with the way one castrates? Thanks!

Some folks may be better than I am, but I can't tell at one month of age how a calf will look down the road, so we don't band until later. With the commercial cattleman, they're in the meat business, primarily, so banding at birth, 1 month, etc. means you still get steer, thus more money at market.

I justy banded a couple a few weeks ago, simple fast and painless fer the calf they jumped up and ran around right after banding... only way to go as far as im concerned.. :cboy:

Mine are banded the first day when their belly is full and they are resting. Too simple.

If they were registered stock, I might give them a bit of time to see if they had potential. They are not so there is no question.

When we catch a bull/stag in the herd, we take 'im to the vet to get him cut.

we clamped until 2 years ago when we missed a few. now just band and tetnus shot.
we wait until we are getting ready to move cows to other pastures, vaccinate all cows and then move on to calves. Some of the calves may be 2 months old.

Latest posts