Cut down a tree yesterday--this one fought back

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
bee002.jpg

Mean little buggers but they couldn't eat that Stihl.
Stuck a box over it last night--then it turned cold and windy as heck before morning. Pulled the box off, rubbed some of the comb and their honey all inside it and on the entrance, assembled my frames, put the lid on and put it right next to them.

bee004.jpg

Hopefully the queen is still there (and alive) and they'll take up residence. I'll have to feed them till spring nectar flow begins.
(Yes, I have a bee veil)

Caustic Burno":3u5gmpsy said:
Lucky it wasn't yellow jackets that lived there, we would still be looking for you.
He would be easy to find! He would be the one looking like the Michelen man

I hope that they settle in. I wish that I could have seen your face when they started to come out of the tree : )

Greybeard, If the queens there she'll stay on the comb out in front and they'll rebuilt there as best as they can and not move. Instead, Take an empty super and stack that comb up as best as you can with brood comb in the middle and honey on the outsides. Put a queen excluder over it and then your brood box full of frames on top of that. Wait for a sunny day and dig into the bottom box, find the queen and move her to the top box. They'll move up to cover the new brood and after a while you can pull the empty super off the bottom.
If you see queen cells when you dig in to find the queen, close them back up and wait for spring.

cow pollinater":3i56oz27 said:
Greybeard, If the queens there she'll stay on the comb out in front and they'll rebuilt there as best as they can and not move. Instead, Take an empty super and stack that comb up as best as you can with brood comb in the middle and honey on the outsides. Put a queen excluder over it and then your brood box full of frames on top of that. Wait for a sunny day and dig into the bottom box, find the queen and move her to the top box. They'll move up to cover the new brood and after a while you can pull the empty super off the bottom.
If you see queen cells when you dig in to find the queen, close them back up and wait for spring.
Uhhh--with my hands??????????
:help: :???: :eek: :yuck:

greybeard":2iajr7lw said:
Uhhh--with my hands??????????
:help: :???: :eek: :yuck:
You already did the worst part when you chopped down their house :lol: . Give them a little time and they should be fine. I assume you know about smoke since you have bee equipment??? Otherwise, just wait for a good fly day when all of the foraging bees(the mean ones) are off collecting nectar and pollen and give a puff of smoke and you should be able to dig in and find her without to much trouble. I never wore gloves for fine work like finding a queen and I can honestly say that even in my worst hives my hands never got stung more than a dozen times and in those hives I pretty much needed winsheild wipers to see out of my veil. :lol:
Thick latex like milkers gloves available from just about any animal health store work GREAT for bee work as long as they light colored. They aren't stinger proof but it takes a good sting to get through and you can tug on the glove and pop that stinger right back out and still have good feel.
The way you're doing it, if they have any brood at all, they're goners. as a general rule they won't leave brood so you have to start by getting the brood in your box and work from there. :D