Culling

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
I know now its not the best time to do this but made up my mind to cull 5 momma cows sometime between now and the next few weeks bought all of them this summer All of them raised me good calfs that paid for there moms. They were cheap cows that were bred which weaned good calfs but didn't hold condition as I thought they should and two have 5.5 month old calfs still on them. I think if I'm lucky I maybe can get 1200-2000 on all 5 at the barn 3 we're get checked open and two never checked which there going because there both wild.

Just trying to decide on with the money I get for them should I buy some young heifers or what is the Best Buy as of now in the market . I have seen some markets and on Facebook say the seen some thin to decent open cows go for .11-.30 cents which that's not good at all.

midTN_Brangusman said:
You can buy a young light bred cow for just a little over kill price right now. I wouldnt hesitate to ship them.

Yeah that's my plan and mind made up shipping just don't know what imma buy but I've heard it's buyers market right now though.

Market seem steady to slightly higher than a month ago for older bred cows. A few good younger cows have come through @ $750 - $900 depending on breed. I would think it would be ok to look at long term deals on cows, but I thought that two years ago also....

I sold 15 cull cows for around $5,200 a few weeks ago so, I'd say you're numbers are close. The deal on bred cows is surprisingly they are still bringing what they are worth for this time of year. Really nice solid 4-5 yo heavy breds are $1,250-1,450 and lesser cows can be had for a bargain until you figure in feeding them through the winter. I sent several 4 yo open cows that would make someone good cows if they had a year around calving operation. They brought 30-40 cents.

If you could get them bred before moving you would probably get more money. We shipped two opens this fall and they brought .37 cents. In our area if they are bred (usually it doesn't even matter to what) they have a good chance of bringing what they are worth and sometimes more.

Lucky said:
I sold 15 cull cows for around $5,200 a few weeks ago so, I'd say you're numbers are close. The deal on bred cows is surprisingly they are still bringing what they are worth for this time of year. Really nice solid 4-5 yo heavy breds are $1,250-1,450 and lesser cows can be had for a bargain until you figure in feeding them through the winter. I sent several 4 yo open cows that would make someone good cows if they had a year around calving operation. They brought 30-40 cents.
really don't mind feeding have more then enough hay just don't want to be feeding open cows rather them be bred they have had more then enough time to be bred back

MRRherefords said:
If you could get them bred before moving you would probably get more money. We shipped two opens this fall and they brought .37 cents. In our area if they are bred (usually it doesn't even matter to what) they have a good chance of bringing what they are worth and sometimes more.
Yeah most of these cows calved between March June and took them last two weeks to get checked and they were open. Doesn't make me happy but they all calved raised good calves but i know I need to move in a different direction kinda older cows they were good price for me getting into cows but now I'm trying to get younger cows

Keeping an open cow that doesn't fit your operation costs money every day you hold her unless your market is on an upswing.

gcreekrch said:
Keeping an open cow that doesn't fit your operation costs money every day you hold her unless your market is on an upswing.

I agree I can get younger bred cows or heifers

So I went to get my bull tested and he isn't crazy or anything loaded good we got to vet and he went ballistic. As well as in the chute he was acting even crazier like trying to jump out never seen it before. They couldn't get a good sample of semen to test so my vet told me come back before Christmas break . Basically he told me could've been cause he was nervous or it could be he could be infertile or something else. I was trying to find the reason he bred 5 and 5 were open . So i haven't sold cows yet until I find out bull situation and move on from there really nervous because guy I bought him from got him tested for me before I bought him and he tested satisfactory . What possibly could happen to maybe have problems or go infertile and not do his job. Gonna suck paid a good amount of Money for him and to have to sell him if he's infertile going to suck bad. Hid last test was in feb I'm hoping for good result in a few weeks when we go back.

Redgully said:
I wonder if the behavior is a sign an underlying condition. Could he have some sort of injury.

What do you think it could be ? He will be 3 in feb. Never seen him act like that before he loaded fine at my house. But at the vet unloading was just bizerk I don't know he's still young.

Next time, take him with a cow to the vet. Sometimes a strange place will just freak them out. Run the cow in and out the chute and catch him up right behind her. Is there a small catch area right in front of the chute where she can stand and he can see/smell her? Anything to get him to realize this is not the "END OF THE WORLD" scary place to be. If he tests low then check possible reasons.... thin, bad summer/hot/poor grass..... whatever. If he was bought from a reputable breeder, I would talk to the person that sold him. Another thing.... get a blood test; make sure he doesn't have anything, trich, lepto .... if the cows have been exposed to lepto they could have been bred and slipped it. There are several things that can cause breeding problems.
If the cows are older, then just ship em and buy a few more breds or some with small calves..... you will have a chance to build up to some better cows this way and if they don't breed, and it is not the bull, then you don't need to keep them.

Also, vacc for LEPTO at the very least. It will not cause abortion. All our cows get lepto and blackleg every time they go through the chute. It is cheap insurance. Both are killed virus. Be sure to use the lepto that has the "hardjo" strain in it. I now use Triangle 10 every time a cow goes through for a preg check. All KV so will not cause abortions. Also hit them with blackleg as we have lost a few over the years to it. Especially use it on bought cows. You have no idea of what their immune systems have, and HAVE NOT been exposed to.

Bfields30 said:
Redgully said:
I wonder if the behavior is a sign an underlying condition. Could he have some sort of injury.

What do you think it could be ? He will be 3 in feb. Never seen him act like that before he loaded fine at my house. But at the vet unloading was just bizerk I don't know he's still young.

Possibly lepto or a mineral deficiency such as magnesium or copper. Or even a tendon strain but in my experience they sulk when suffering a breeding injury.

Probably an odor at the Vet set him off. I have seen that several times. Everything from smoke from an odd product burning to a odd cleaning or disinfecting product.

Ebenezer said:
Probably an odor at the Vet set him off. I have seen that several times. Everything from smoke from an odd product burning to a odd cleaning or disinfecting product.

Didn't think about that at all ...

Redgully said:
Bfields30 said:
Redgully said:

Possibly lepto or a mineral deficiency such as magnesium or copper. Or even a tendon strain but in my experience they sulk when suffering a breeding injury.
He acts normal in the pasture still comes up in the truck to greet me before the other cows do. And how much it cost to test him for that and is it cureable the lepto

Lepto is fixable as far as i know, need to vaccinate everything and keep at it, works in a cycle. I've never had it but we get wild pigs near by and the vet has told me that is a big risk. It shouldn't cause behaviour problems but anytime an animal is not feeling right can react in unpredictable ways.

Latest posts