Culling

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Do you consider a malpresentation a reason to cull a first calf heifer? Had one today, and I know she only has 1 job. The calf died before I could get it out. I try to take a hard line, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Your thoughts.

Do you consider a malpresentation a reason to cull a first calf heifer? Had one today, and I know she only has 1 job. The calf died before I could get it out. I try to take a hard line, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Your thoughts.
A first calf heifer, dead calf at birth, really not her fault. A real shame.
But she has never raised a calf before, if you do find a calf to graft on her, make sure it's a really strong and aggressive one. Never having had a calf before, her maternal feelings may have already disappeared, lowering the success rate of getting her to accept a calf. Good Luck in whatever you choose to do and know that beef from a young cow is worth putting in your freezer and perhaps your most economical choice.

Last edited:
Flip of a coin. Not her fault. And yet, if you can't find a calf to graft but decide to keep her, she may get fat and I've had a few I've kept back subsequently develop udder issues. That is, unless you don't have a defined calving season & allow her to breed back right away.

Sorry for the loss of the calf!

I had one lose her first calf, it had a shoulder turned back when we pulled it. Pretty little Black baldy, and like a pet. I kept her. She has only raised 3 calves out of 6. One was only 20 lbs at birth and we bottle supplemented it and then at 9 months it died. Her last one was severely deformed. If they have trouble on the first one, send them to town...

If you are short on grass or hay it's an opportunity to reduce your numbers. I lost one yesterday on a first calf heifer . We are blessed with both . She will get another chance. Older cow didn't calve this year , she's taking the one way ride to town .

If you are short on grass or hay it's an opportunity to reduce your numbers. I lost one yesterday on a first calf heifer . We are blessed with both . She will get another chance. Older cow didn't calve this year , she's taking the one way ride to town .
Send the heifer, Open heifers are higher than bred..

I had one lose her first calf, it had a shoulder turned back when we pulled it. Pretty little Black baldy, and like a pet. I kept her. She has only raised 3 calves out of 6. One was only 20 lbs at birth and we bottle supplemented it and then at 9 months it died. Her last one was severely deformed. If they have trouble on the first one, send them to town...
That sounds like the cow was quite chemically sensitive and so were her fetuses. Those reproductive issues are common with exposure to an Imidacloprid and glyphosate combination.

Had 20 heifers' to have calves last year and one calf was dead. I decided to try her again and I am glad I did. Her calf this year is a black white face male calf and it is fat as a mud dobber from her milk. I believe in second chances unless they prove they don't milk very good, or their health issues, then it is time to cull or old .

Last edited:
I will try to get pics today, but I've decided to keep her, she'll fit right in with a group of heifers fhat I bought a while back for a fall breeding group. The neighbors bull bred her a couple months early but she grew well, and the vet thought she would have easily had it if not for the circumstances. She was still pushing when we assisted, and the exam after showed no problems.

I would want to know the family history. Do you have records on the grand dam (heifer's mother)? Is there a family history of dystocia?

I would want to know the family history. Do you have records on the grand dam (heifer's mother)? Is there a family history of dystocia?
Her mother (from one of my most reliable cows) calved her right at 24 months, never had a problem out of either the dam yet, grandam is gone due to foot problems and age.

Do you vaccinate for bvd?

Latest posts