Culling

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully said:
Lepto is fixable as far as i know, need to vaccinate everything and keep at it, works in a cycle. I've never had it but we get wild pigs near by and the vet has told me that is a big risk. It shouldn't cause behaviour problems but anytime an animal is not feeling right can react in unpredictable ways.
I'll get him tested then it's just stressful just got him in March and just nerve wrecking don't wanna make sure I do everything to make sure it's right before I make decision

You should have a good vaccination protocol in place. The bull was seen tested before turnout. Make no excuses.

Will the vet make a call to a neighbor's chute where the bull would be quieter? If he goes ballistic again you have another to cull.

gcreekrch said:
You should have a good vaccination protocol in place. The bull was seen tested before turnout. Make no excuses.

Will the vet make a call to a neighbor's chute where the bull would be quieter? If he goes ballistic again you have another to cull.

Yeah most definitely I will cull if i have to and i know that's part of it.

I had a beef shorthorn bull. He got an infection end of june 2017. Took to vet. Given nuflor, banamine, la200. Repeated 3 days later. End of August got a heifer that had been with him preg checked by same vet. Called open. October 1st blood test preg checked heifer. Pregnant. We thought the bull had impregnated the heifer after his recovery. March 2018 heifer bags up and has a calf. So she was bred before his treatment not after. Took the bull to another vet. Semen tested sterile. Testicles had shrunk way down. Had to sell my registered bull to slaughter. Then I had a baby heifer get sick. Went to give her nuflor. Read the bottle. Why didnt the vet read the bottle before ruining my bull? As for your situation, I think if half your cows are open, you have a bull problem or a mineral problem. I'm betting bull. Dont cull the cows. Replace the bull.

darcelina4 said:
I had a beef shorthorn bull. He got an infection end of june 2017. Took to vet. Given nuflor, banamine, la200. Repeated 3 days later. End of August got a heifer that had been with him preg checked by same vet. Called open. October 1st blood test preg checked heifer. Pregnant. We thought the bull had impregnated the heifer after his recovery. March 2018 heifer bags up and has a calf. So she was bred before his treatment not after. Took the bull to another vet. Semen tested sterile. Testicles had shrunk way down. Had to sell my registered bull to slaughter. Then I had a baby heifer get sick. Went to give her nuflor. Read the bottle. Why didnt the vet read the bottle before ruining my bull? As for your situation, I think if half your cows are open, you have a bull problem or a mineral problem. I'm betting bull. Dont cull the cows. Replace the bull.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do more then likely I'll see in a another week or so

Not uncommon for a single animal trucked somewhere and they get spaced out.
Haul with a cow like suggested. And I agree, the SMELL of a vets clinic can mess them up. Best if vet comes to the bull.

Took them today hopefully get decent price tomorrow for them. I'll be buying a few heifers in the upcoming weeks this is one of them I'm getting 9 month old Brahman heifer

Took bull back today and passed with flying colors and had another cow checked and she was heavy bred by him.

Make sure your vet is using a larger probe relative to the one used to test yearlings. The smaller probe does not work well for bigger more mature bulls and fails to stimulate them giving them a false negative result. I always take mature bulls that fail and have them mount an in heat cow in the alley and have the vet catch droplets of semen as they dismount. A high percentage of the bulls were found satisfactory with this second collection.