Culling yearling replacements?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":28od294r said:
While were talking about this, I was at a big black angus dispersal auction on saturday... a LOT of them were definitely not jet black and had a lot of red in them, now are ALL black angus completely black if they have the copper, or is it breeding as well?

I am not sure what black angus is anymore. They all look black to me...
but I can type some simi crosses by hair coat and ear size.
Some animals in both categories benefit from more copper sulfate
The easiest fix is to raise reds!

Stocker Steve":gudxt8b5 said:
Nesikep":gudxt8b5 said:
While were talking about this, I was at a big black angus dispersal auction on saturday... a LOT of them were definitely not jet black and had a lot of red in them, now are ALL black angus completely black if they have the copper, or is it breeding as well?

I am not sure what black angus is anymore. They all look black to me...
but I can type some simi crosses by hair coat and ear size.
Some animals in both categories benefit from more copper sulfate
The easiest fix is to raise reds!
:lol: :lol: but actually, if the hair is telling you that they are low on copper - the rest of the body is probably low also! Blacks are a good "guage" (sp?)

Gators Rule":rs6w6zoc said:
could also be sunlight??? Being out in the summer sun tends to give black headed people's hair a reddish tint. If humans, why not cattle?
Sun definately makes the blacks reddish. That's one of the reasons why we keep our few head in the showstring in the barn during the day.

Plenty of nutritional studies have shown that Continental breeds, such as Simmental, Charolais, Maine-Anjou, etc., have copper requirements as much as 50% higher than Angus and other British breeds. A quick internet search will bring up lots of documentation.

CuSO4 is the most economical source of copper - the chelated copper products, copper lysine/copper proteinates, etc., are more rapidly effective - I'd use them in stressed calves - but quite a bit more expensive. Copper oxide is a really poor source - depending upon whose numbers you use, absorption and bioavailability of CuO is from 0 to 15%, whereas almost 100% of CuSO4 in a ration or mineral mix is bioavailable.

Washed out/sunburnt color may (or may not) be an indicator of copper deficiency. Only real good way to confirm it is to measure it from liver biopsy or liver samples collected at slaughter/necropsy. Blood copper levels will remain normal until liver stores of Cu are depleted. If blood levels are low, the animal has pretty well depleted the supply stored in the liver.

TXBred was right about Iron interfering with Copper absorptionl; those red 'trace mineral' salt blocks can actually make copper deficiency worse, because they have so much Iron oxide incorporated as a filler/coloring agent.
Different forages have different capabilities to take up and present copper to the animals consuming them. Orchardgrass has higher Cu content than tall fescue - but OG is about the last thing my cows will eat, when they're grazing.

yep, thanks on my behalf as well... OG is about 40% of our feed, with alfalfa being most of the res, some timothy and brome in there too... then there are the weeds of course

Latest posts