Cull cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve said:
How much does banding set back a 1000# bull?

I've never banded any that big, and very few over 500 but from the few I have done it takes them a while to get back to gaining progress. If I had several to feed out and enough time frame I would go on and band. If just have one or two and going to use them for our beef I would just as soon feed out a bull.

SBMF 2015 said:
I don't know. Those 1,000lb bulls may loose 50lbs? Three extra weeks of feeding them on the back end.

Do you implant them? I would think a good implant would more than makeup the loss from banding them.

Pain meds really pay if you're banding the bigger ones. A bottle of banamine or some meloxicam is relatively cheap, and they get back to eating a lot sooner.

bird dog said:
SBMF 2015 said:
I don't know. Those 1,000lb bulls may loose 50lbs? Three extra weeks of feeding them on the back end.

Do you implant them? I would think a good implant would more than makeup the loss from banding them.
If I remember correctly most of them got a pretty hot implant. Something like a Synovex Plus or Choice.
That was one advantage of sorting at the sale barn. I'd already seem the cattle, so when I heard certain buyer numbers. I knew exactly what I was doing after the sale when I went back to help the vet.

Buck Randall said:
Pain meds really pay if you're banding the bigger ones. A bottle of banamine or some meloxicam is relatively cheap, and they get back to eating a lot sooner.

How often do you inject banamine is this case ?

Stocker Steve said:
Buck Randall said:

How often do you inject banamine is this case ?

Just when they're in the chute for banding. I'm sure a couple more days would help, but I don't know anybody with that kind of time. Even the one injection helps get them through the worst part.

Cull cow prices will pick up after we get past the cronoa virus if we ever do. Also when the schools open back up fully there will be a demand for ground beef

Latest posts