Cull cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I hauled a couple cows to the sale yesterday. Both had lost their calves. They were in pretty good shape. Weighed 1420 and 1345. Got $0.63 and $0.66. That came to $894 and $887. These were part of the broken mouth cows I bought last January. I am not sure exactly what I paid for these particular cows but I averaged $775 on the bunch. Certainly got my money back on the purchase although a little short on covering the feed bill.

Very dry here. My first crop hay was down a third. Guys who have not been working on OM are down by two thirds.

Bred sort offs usually sell for 3 to 5 cents over kill in the fall, and there will be a lot of extra cows this fall. What do you think about selling pairs with 300# calves in mid summer rather than waiting? I think the higher cow lower calf prices will almost wash and you will be saving a lot of feed...

Got rid of three 2 weeks ago that came up calfless. Roughly 7 year old cows average weight was 1555 and brought 67.50. Look like the heavier they were the more the brought.

I sold 2 on April 8 that had lost calves. I hit the bottom of the market with those two. I got roughly $300 less per cow back then. I guess I should have just kicked them to grass. Two of the cows, one from each group, I bought together. Both slipped their calf. I only bid once. That was a real profitable wave of the hand. You win some and you lose some.

Stocker Steve said:
Very dry here. My first crop hay was down a third. Guys who have not been working on OM are down by two thirds.

Bred sort offs usually sell for 3 to 5 cents over kill in the fall, and there will be a lot of extra cows this fall. What do you think about selling pairs with 300# calves in mid summer rather than waiting? I think the higher cow lower calf prices will almost wash and you will be saving a lot of feed...

They will usually split them at the sale barn, so maybe wean early and keep the calves and sell the cows?

kenny thomas said:
Most bulls are over $1.00 a lb now. Best ones at 1.15

Are fat cattle prices higher down there, or are bulls bringing more than fat steers?

Packers can get more hamburger out of a big bull than they can a fat. We sold a char bull two weeks ago weighed 2,225lbs brought $1.03. But light yearling bulls were bringing way less than a buck a pound at the last breeding stock sale.
1,800+lb Holstein strs are bringing almost a buck.

Stocker Steve said:
Do we need to grow out yearling bulls?

Or band them. I'm sure the sale barn had an order from some one.
Those were probably 11-13mos, pasted their semen check. Just not herd bull prospects. 1,000-1,100lbs bringing under $900/Hd. They were headed back to the vet to be banded before going to a feedlot some where.
90-120 days of feed they should make select strs.
Some people around here still can't seem to figure out; that not every black angus bull calf born is a future herd bull.

I bought some moderate framed young cow/heiferettes to put on feed. Paid 68 to 73 cents. Have them sold for $2.95 hanging. I think the packers are making good money on burger.

It has been taking a top bull to bring a dollar around here. Have a 4 y/o 2,500 lb bull that I had planned to sell but the bull market fell. Turned him out and will sell after I pull him off the cows.

Latest posts