Cropland change to natural pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi I have heard two different ideas on changing cropland to pasture or hay ground. There is a person who has some cropland that hasn't been planted for some years now. It is grown up in weeds. On the edge of this field it is planted in brome in small areas. each year that little is baled. Is it possible for someone to plant that main weedy part of the field back to brome and have it become natural? The people were wanting to plant it this fall. This field is in eastern Kansas. Can someone give me some input on this subject. Thanks--Becky

[email protected]

I don't have any experience with brome, but when reclaiming a field by my house, I found that if I kept the weeds mowed so they didn't set seeds,they eventually died out. The other thing I did was learn how important a soil test is. In areas I couldn't get grass to grow, it turned out the soil was too alkaline, which the weeds loved. After treating the soil to lower the pH, grass grew just fine.

Becky, your extension service should have info on what grass will be most productive in your area. They may be able to help you with soil tests, too. Another office to visit is the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), part of the USDA. Your taxes support them, put them to work. Our land was cotton land until they farmed away the topsoil, NRCS has been helpful in re-establishing grass. Good luck...

> Hi I have heard two different
> ideas on changing cropland to
> pasture or hay ground. There is a
> person who has some cropland that
> hasn't been planted for some years
> now. It is grown up in weeds. On
> the edge of this field it is
> planted in brome in small areas.
> each year that little is baled. Is
> it possible for someone to plant
> that main weedy part of the field
> back to brome and have it become