Crimson clover and Durano clover

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I was searching the site for threads on Crimson clover and durano. it seems like the consensus is that durano is a bit disappointing as far as grazing goes......my question is....after the crimson dies what do you do in the meantime for clover while it is reseeding itself?

of course this is a classic extension answer, "it depends". :)

soil type, ph, climate, existing forages, management, etc. will all affect your outcome between the annual crimson and the perennial white clover (Durana). At my ranch in south Ga, the Durana took a few years to get a foothold, but has been persistent, however, not a dominant force in the sward. Good for the long term, but not much immediate grazing. Crimson has been the second most aggressive winter annual legume (the first being hairy vetch). I like both, but I'm a polyculture guy. Just remember, your region and management will have its own fit.

If you are overseeding in fescue (I'm guessing here), a mixture of red clover, white clover, perhaps arrowleaf, and crimson will give you a longer grazing system.

Durana needs an overall higher pH than Crimson. Crimson is a good add in. Durana with proper soil conditions is hard to beat but will go dormant in a drought but long after crimson has run it's race. For a winter type trial with crimson and what else, try a pound or two of ball clover/acre in the fall seeding. You'll think you wasted money until March and then in March or April you'll think that you planted too much seed. A short term legume, a great bee plant but really seems to put a lot of N in the soil and the cows sheep will eat it to the ground even after it has matured, dropped seed and dried.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/pastures-and-rangelands/species-varieties/persian-clover

This is a clover that I have not planted. It has come and I do not where it came from. It gets more wide spread each year and does not need to be reseeded. Maybe like Bahai grass it just keeps going. If I was planting this is the clover that I would use Durana cannot hold a light to it. Cows will eat it very well and up to the time the seed has set and they spread it in their manure. Totally cover 35 acres and is also occurring in other pastures I rotate to.

Latest posts