creeping calves

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
All the discussion on feed the last couple threads is helpful. Does anyone know if creep feeding calves actually takes any burden off the momma so she can maintain bcs on lower quality feed or will the calf just eat more/better??

In my openion if you have to creep calves something is wrong.
Overstocked.
Poor genetics in your cows.
Breeding season screwed up and calves are born during wrong time of year.
Abnormal weather conditions causing normal forage not to be available.
I may be completely off base with this as I have no idea about how to raise cattle in Michigan.
I should add. You must do what ever it takes to keep the BCS up on the cow. Up enough so that she will rebreed. Yes, creep does take some of the burden off the cow.

put the pencil to the paper

add up the cost of creep feeding
add up the hay or pasture feed instead of weaning and shipping

add up the #'s gained
see what your selling price is
do the math

my bet in this time with the cost of grain and the cost of feeding and the price of calves---you will lose $

angus9259":2tdz3jdp said:
Does anyone know if creep feeding calves actually takes any burden off the momma so she can maintain bcs on lower quality feed or will the calf just eat more/better??

If your cows are burdened feeding her calf, time to pull the calf and make use of this time to get the cow up to condition before winter sets in. Easier to put fat on the cow with no calf at foot, and cheaper to when the calves are weaned. The second trimester is when the cow's needs are the least.
based on a last half of march / april calving, based on a -15 to -30 clecius winter, grass growth from end of may/early june to mid September, wean end of Sept to end of October
Jan - march last trimester---cows needs are the greatest:
-to maintain body condition
- to weather the conditions outside
- to provide for the calf growing inside...this is when the calf grows the most
- to provide adequate nutrition to build quality and quantity colostrum which starts minimum 5 weeks before calving,
- to have enough condition to calve and yet not fat, to give the cow something to work with so she does not deplete her energy calving and freshing so she has some condition to breed back
end of April / june getting ready to breed back
- need good nutrition to prepare for breed back
- to raise a good calf
July/August breeding
-nutrition to raise the calf and breed
September/october
-August included, feeding two calves
-putting on condition for winter
November to December
- least needs needed during this time. this is the time to mainatain and increase BCS if needed

It is always cheaper to wean the calf than to creep the calf to keep the cow in condition.
If you want to creep the calf for a short period prior to weaning, to get the calf adjusted to eating grain, that works great.
Over long term, creep feeding lessens the burden on the cow, but is costly. Cheaper to feed the cow to put on weight & feed the weaned calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":gopxb44m said:
It is always cheaper to wean the calf than to creep the calf to keep the cow in condition.
If you want to creep the calf for a short period prior to weaning, to get the calf adjusted to eating grain, that works great.
Over long term, creep feeding lessens the burden on the cow, but is costly. Cheaper to feed the cow to put on weight & feed the weaned calf.

Yeah, I do practice early weaning but the calves are too young (sept - Nov calves). I think I'll look more into to protein tub thread. Normally it's not a problem but my hay quality is off this year from weather problems.

angus9259":39wokil5 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":39wokil5 said:

Yeah, I do practice early weaning but the calves are too young (sept - Nov calves). I think I'll look more into to protein tub thread. Normally it's not a problem but my hay quality is off this year from weather problems.
This is the very reason spring calving is more popular in the northern climates. Green grass is plentiful while the calves are young and as weaning time approachs the quality of the grass is gone. You are fighting the system by fall calving and trying to provide adequate nutrition for cow & calf through the winter. Right now my beef cows are on cruise control with poorer quality hay as they are at there minimum as far as nutrition requirements.

Not to turn this into a spring vs fall debate but there is nothing so blessed as calving in September. The cows have good bloom, there's no mud, no rain, no barns, no surprise spring blizzards, tons of daylight, flies on the decline . . . and the bulls I sell are a good 18 months old when people need them and haven't been pushed to get there. Any steers are sold right off the farm to hungry stockers with plenty of pasture for some weaned calves to grow for cheap in their back yards before going on feed . . . and nobody else has them. It's just an unusual year . . . hay quality is off from too much and too little rain all at the right and wrong times. Never going back to spring calving - just need to get through this winter.

Creep feeding will take some burden off the cow and you should see a difference in condition, all variables being equal. Creep feeding calves can be expensive, but if you have a market for high quality carcass calves it can pay. Early creep feeding high energy, solid food to your calves will inspire early lipocyte cell formation in the inner-muscle (the earlier the better). It is especially beneficial in the cattle genetically predisposed to developing IMF (where you want fat). It's just my opinion and experience, but unless you have a predestined market, ready and willing to pay you a premium for your carcass merits, you will probably be spending money you won't recover.

I have to agree with the fall calving benefits. We always have maybe 10-15% of our herd calving in the fall. But, we also have the luxury of having BALEAGE put up at prime timing each year. Right now, my fall calvers are still grazing (with a dry bale to munch on also). It is difficult to impliment as good a health program (tend to forget about their best timing - with the main herd in the spring).
Main thing with us having fall calves is a different age group for sales.

Just an observation or something to think about. I don't really creep feed. It is more like creep graze. but I am trying to get my thoughts around the statement that creep feeding takes pressure off the cow. I don't know, but I can see where if the calf takes to the creep feed (or creep grazing) it takes the pressure off the cow in as far as calf performance. I'm not sure I'd say that increases the performance of the cow other than raising a calf that gets out and starts earning his own keep. Is it cow performance if the calf learns to get out and hustle for added nourishment or is it calf performance?

Latest posts