Crazy Idea or not??

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Early last week bought some Ultra Saber pour on to treat pairs for flies. Label say active ingredient is 1% lambda-cyhalthrin. 1 gallon cost $179 and will treat 250 cows. Worked really well on the flies so far.

A few days later needed to spray pastures for grasshoppers as they are about to carry us away. Crop chem advisor recommended Silencer insecticide and a gallon cost $75. When reading the label for Silencer it shows active ingredient as 12.7% lambda-cyhalothrin. Same active ingredient as pour on only 12.7 times the strength at less than half the cost per gallon.

Am wondering about taking the stronger crop version and diluting it 1:12 to reduce strength to same as cow version. By doing this would only cost $6 for the same amount of active ingredient. Can buy gallon of canola or corn oil for around $8 to dilute with, so would have gallon of 1% lambda-cy mix for less than $15.00. When retreating quite a few cows every few weeks thru summer, could save quite a few $$ this way.

Crazy or not??

The carrier may be different. I would want to be sure before using it on mine. You might try looking up a MSDS on both to see if you can see more about them.

tom4018":3s0k1frp said:
The carrier may be different. I would want to be sure before using it on mine. You might try looking up a MSDS on both to see if you can see more about them.

Saber msds says 80-90% corn oil. Crop version says contains petroleum distillates (approx 87%?). Appears crop version has petro based carrier whereas cow version has corn oil carrier. By using corn oil as diluent would have less than 8% distillates in mix. Considering max dose is 15cc would be only getting 1.2cc of distillate per dose. Don't see that being enough to be a concern poured or squirted on their back. Have heard of folks who mix permethrins with diesel to spray cows with. Would think they would get a lot more petro from spray than 15cc of this mix.

I looked at both msds sheets and in theory it sounds good but the (crop) chemical has some other ingredients that I would be scared of for livestock. In what little research I did it seems as if the main ingredient could be purchased from a pest control supply. If that is a possibility then you could mix it with corn oil have the insecticide your looking for.

I would be reluctant to do it. You have to consider absorption into the animals blood stream. There may be some minor chemical make up that changes that from one product to the next that is not listed on the label. Hence the warning, "Not for animal use."

M5farm":xpwiewgr said:
I looked at both msds sheets and in theory it sounds good but the (crop) chemical has some other ingredients that I would be scared of for livestock. In what little research I did it seems as if the main ingredient could be purchased from a pest control supply. If that is a possibility then you could mix it with corn oil have the insecticide your looking for.

What did you see on msds that concerned you. All I saw was "contains petroleum distillates" which would be something of a kerosene-diesel type product. With the combo of low dosage and 1:12 dilution, don't see anything that concerns me much. A 1.2cc shot of diesel on the hair & skin shouldn't do much even if concentrated in very small spot. Got a little of the pure crop chem on my hand when mixing. A few minutes later rinsed it off with only water with no burn, itch or other symptoms. Know I got more than 1.2cc on me and am quite a bit smaller than most cows.

Appreciate your input.

naphthalene and aromatic solvents- I looked both of these up and they are derived from petroleum products. When it comes to chemicals I may be too cautious with some of them. individually the ingredients may not be harmful but when they are mixed who knows. I am about as far away from a chemical engineering degree as I am from traveling to the moon.

Think it could be mineral oil?? If so shouldn't hurt anything. A lot of feed companies use mineral oil in various formulations (mineral mixes etc)

It is interesting.

Terrible year for flies. I have wormed twice already and prefer injection. Pour on has crossed my mind.

I would truly like to know the results and popssibilities.

We are trying to be good stewards of the animals. Parasites eat into health and profits.

branguscowgirl":ax4igpk6 said:
consider absorption into the animals blood stream. There may be some minor chemical make up changes Hence the warning, "Not for animal use."

In addition I have heard some raise the question of insecticide use and lower bull fertility.
Don't know of any research one way or the other...just some guys speculating.

Latest posts