Crabgrass seeding

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
My part of the field that i seeded in crabgrass has now all gone to seed about calf high tall. If i run the cows back in there will they eat the seed and it decrease the crabgrass for next year, or do i wait till fall frost and bush hog to spread the seed? Best option?

It's not going to grow in the winter. I would think cut tge tops and run the cows thru it to push some seed int the ground that may sprout w timely rain in the spring

machslammer":3hl94lea said:
My part of the field that i seeded in crabgrass has now all gone to seed about calf high tall. If i run the cows back in there will they eat the seed and it decrease the crabgrass for next year, or do i wait till fall frost and bush hog to spread the seed? Best option?
My first year with crabgrass so I'm not expert. But I've ask this question to a expert. RL Dalrymple of Estelle farms. He said graze it. He said when you can grab a handful of seed heads and slap them against your hand and a noticeable amount of seed shatters into your hand . Go ahead and graze it into oblivion.

fenceman":429bb0v0 said:
machslammer":429bb0v0 said:
My first year with crabgrass so I'm not expert. But I've ask this question to a expert. RL Dalrymple of Estelle farms. He said graze it. He said when you can grab a handful of seed heads and slap them against your hand and a noticeable amount of seed shatters into your hand . Go ahead and graze it into oblivion.
And what's the outcome of that?

The outcome is the seed will fall on the ground and sit there and wait until next year to start growing. This will happen if you graze it, mow it, or do nothing.

Kingfisher":2qdh9tip said:
fenceman":2qdh9tip said:
machslammer":2qdh9tip said:
And what's the outcome of that?

The seed gets spread and the cows get fed

A lot of seed will survive passage through the gut. Also when seed is ready to fall passage through it will knock it down plus a lot of seed is carried on their coat.
We have a problem grass around here African Lovegrass. My neighbours paddock is full of it, very heavy seeding grass, it is right up to my fence in places yet our barb wire fence does a great job of keeping it out. If there was a gate and cattle moved from his place to mine it would quickly over run my place. In summer all I have to do is patrol the fenceline on my bike with a paintbrush on the end of a stick and bottle of 2 to 1 glyphosate and just dab the occaisional seedling.
Ken

An amount of crabgrass seed much larger than the amount required for annual successional/regenerative grazing will fall on the ground and not be ingested when grazed. Under any other treatment or circumstances, an overabundance of seed will fall on the ground and have 100% germination over an extended period of years.

ga.prime":2dz3vzzp said:
An amount of crabgrass seed much larger than the amount required for annual successional/regenerative grazing will fall on the ground and not be ingested when grazed. Under any other treatment or circumstances, an overabundance of seed will fall on the ground and have 100% germination over an extended period of years.

Did you copy that paragraph or make it up on your own?

Douglas, I haven't read Noble but I'm sure there's something to what they're saying if cultivating crabgrass is your goal. All I'm saying is after crabgrass goes to seed there is nothing you can do or not do that will stop the majority of those seed from falling on the ground. And the seed will sit there and wait for the optimum time for germination whether it is this year or next year or the year after that.

ga.prime":nilpqirg said:
Douglas, I haven't read Noble but I'm sure there's something to what they're saying if cultivating crabgrass is your goal. All I'm saying is after crabgrass goes to seed there is nothing you can do or not do that will stop the majority of those seed from falling on the ground. And the seed will sit there and wait for the optimum time for germination whether it is this year or next year or the year after that.

I gotta wonder, just how long crabgrass seed will stay viable. I had a little dozer work done, and didn't get in the hurry I should have to seed it. Most beautiful stand of crabgrass took over that you've ever seen. No telling how long there has been a stand of timber on this spot.

I have some volunteered cb on other sections of the farm to and attempting to disk in some orchard grass in those spots. One of my other sections is pure rrcg. Tilled, broadcast seed 10# acre and it came in thick!

Latest posts