Coyote Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with livestock gaurd dogs that I have seen isn;t with the dogs, it's the owners. Rather then leave them with the animlas to do their job they insist on making pets of them and bringing them in when the weather is nasty, etc.

dun":2emy8jsl said:
The problem with livestock gaurd dogs that I have seen isn;t with the dogs, it's the owners. Rather then leave them with the animlas to do their job they insist on making pets of them and bringing them in when the weather is nasty, etc.

The sheep folks that are wanting to buy one of my jennies are pyrenees breeders. Beautiful dogs. But they are dogs.

The yotes distract the dogs away from the herd. The other part of the pack then attacks the sheep.

Several large dogs lured out of their yards and ambushed recently.

Ive not heard of any yotes in my area going up against a pyr or ant. shepherd..they'd have to be really sick or be dealing with a green livestock dog.

I personaly am wary if a livestock dog hasnt had human socialization..Im not talking a big pet, but the dog should be able to be handled by people and you dont have to worry about your arm being taken off..THAT is a huge problem in my area...unruly livestock dogs...

spinandslide":3bjnd40j said:
Ive not heard of any yotes in my area going up against a pyr or ant. shepherd..they'd have to be really sick or be dealing with a green livestock dog.

I personaly am wary if a livestock dog hasnt had human socialization..Im not talking a big pet, but the dog should be able to be handled by people and you dont have to worry about your arm being taken off..THAT is a huge problem in my area...unruly livestock dogs...
A good gaurd dog is sociolized with humans but prefers to be with his flock/herd. That's where it belongs and that's the way they are bred/trained to do their job.
I've seen both extremems, the pet that doesn;t want to be with the goats and the holy terror that even the owner is afraid of. There is a happy medium and it comes from proper management of the dog.

Mine are very social but as you said, "business is business" so they're in and out all the time....trotting and barking..maybe jsut letting the coyotes here their voice. Sleep right in the middle of the cattle. Even laying in the yard they're aware of what's going on. Heck they even go out into the pasture to pee or take a dump. lol

Really everyone if there is a known problem SET OUT TRAPS!!!!!!!! If you had a hole in the fence that your cows were going through you would fix it. The traps now a days are very easy to use in all different sizes, just put them along a trail,tree line, etc If you really are pissed get or make a good size trebble hook hang it from a tree about 3-4ft off the ground with a chuck of meat on it. come morning you got your coyote.

TNfamilyfarm":3w43dpdw said:
Really everyone if there is a known problem SET OUT TRAPS!!!!!!!! If you had a hole in the fence that your cows were going through you would fix it. The traps now a days are very easy to use in all different sizes, just put them along a trail,tree line, etc If you really are be nice get or make a good size trebble hook hang it from a tree about 3-4ft off the ground with a chuck of meat on it. come morning you got your coyote.

You pull that crap in Colorado and you would be hanging from something the next day. Keep in mind trapping is not legal everywhere. I have nothing against it. But bad advice can get ya in some trouble.

Guess they prefer Tn to Co or they would move. Critters give me trouble i will use what ever means to deal with them.

Red Bull Breeder":1zhh7oyz said:
Guess they prefer Tn to Co or they would move. Critters give me trouble i will use what ever means to deal with them.

I don't care who prefers what. It's not a good idea to advocate illegal means of taking predators. If someone wants to trap them on their place and SSS then more power to them. I would just hate to see somebody get arrested and their defense is some guy on Cattle Today said it was OK> :dunce:

For all we know it may be legal to trap in Tn if it is then go for it. But I would dam sure find out before I did it if it was me.

BTW RBB I went to the same school as you. I just don't advertise stuff like that on the internet.

hooknline":qclxmujx said:
Yes a Jennie will work better. Or even a llama. Don't laugh. I have a buddy with a llama and since he had it he hasn't had a single problem with predators
We used to have a llama to protect a small group of goats. Remarkable animals. Even sang to the goat .. beautiful sounds that are undescribable.. just beautiful.
We now have 5 Anatolian/Pyranees dogs guarding our cows. No more theft and no more coyotes. Even the deer stay away!!
Good luck
Valerie

TexasBred":34ok9z8b said:
Mine are very social but as you said, "business is business" so they're in and out all the time....trotting and barking..maybe jsut letting the coyotes here their voice. Sleep right in the middle of the cattle. Even laying in the yard they're aware of what's going on. Heck they even go out into the pasture to pee or take a dump. lol
Our dogs are also friendly but prefer the herd. We have several small groups so the dogs split themselves up and take turns with "break" (union I suppose-lol) . If there's a danger lurking the barking alerts the others to double check their group if ok, these join the others to defend the farm. The only time they do not leave is when cows are calving.
Valerie

Forgot to add: Pyranees roam a 5 mile radius
Anatolians stay with herd and do not roam..but.. they think they are smarter than we are.
The cross between the 2 breeds is awesome
Valerie

vclavin":3h1qv2v7 said:
Forgot to add: Pyranees roam a 5 mile radius
Anatolians stay with herd and do not roam..but.. they think they are smarter than we are.
The cross between the 2 breeds is awesome
Valerie
They're amazing to watch...when a cow goes into labor mine lay down about 8 foot away and waits for the birth and then guards cow and calf.

Brandonm22":289wbbqh said:
In Alabama you can trap coyotes 365 days out of the year but there are still regs as to how you can do it. IF you don"t sell the hides (AND who wants coyote hides???) you don't need a license (as I am reading the regulations).

http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/t ... TrapAL.pdf

Same here but we just can't legally trap them. The tree huggers saw to that a few years ago. :mad:

pdfangus":2h0pney6 said:
is there any problem with the donkeys stomping the calves?

We have a 1 year old male (castrated) donkey that we put in with our 5 weight heifers. He beat the living heck out of them one day and rolled them threw the pannels we had up. Needless to say he isn't in with the cows anymore. We want to try the Llama. A friend was just talking about getting rid of one and I was thinking about trading him for it. Wonder if they are the same as Donkeys or do they just take to livestock without trying to kill them.
Double R

I am always fascinated with these coyote killing calves posts. Seems every year or so they come up. I live and raise cattle in East Texas and have been either directly involved or supporting a cattle operation for almost 50 years. Every evening I hear the coyotes light up yelping to each other on my place or the neighbors. And it is an odd week that I don't see a few either early in the morning or late evening, especially during calving season when I have seen as many as seven coyotes in a bunch combing the pasture looking for baby calf manure – they are attracted to that manure like nothing else!

In all this time I have never lost a calf to coyotes; nor have I ever met a person who has actually witnessed a coyote kill a healthy calf. Even the neighbors who shoot the coyotes admit they have never seen a coyote kill a calf, much less a cow. Only witness has been coyotes feasting on it after the fact. Maybe folks in my part of East Texas have just been lucky. Sure don't want any of those Montana coyotes – sounds like they are pretty ferocious.

Have a nice day!

Same here Conager...I have seen a few clean up afterbirth given the opportunity..usually just content to scavenge.

We haven't personally on our own cattle had a problem with live calves getting taken by coyotes. Our neighbor has as of this year. The population has exploded and they are thin. Im not sure why as the population of voles, rabits and ground squirels has also exploded. They have been trying to take calves though this year. Ive run them off several times in the middle of the night and the calves have gotten away with just injured rear limbs. If I hadn't interfeared who knows if they would actually have gotten the calves completely.
My spouse said it doesn't happen either until this year when ive needed help running them out of the herds next to us. Think the circumstances have to be just right maybe?
Double R

Double R Ranch":1e59jqlj said:
We haven't personally on our own cattle had a problem with live calves getting taken by coyotes. Our neighbor has as of this year. The population has exploded and they are thin. Im not sure why as the population of voles, rabits and ground squirels has also exploded. They have been trying to take calves though this year. Ive run them off several times in the middle of the night and the calves have gotten away with just injured rear limbs. If I hadn't interfeared who knows if they would actually have gotten the calves completely.
My spouse said it doesn't happen either until this year when ive needed help running them out of the herds next to us. Think the circumstances have to be just right maybe?
Double R

I could imagine that would be pretty scary and a bit troublesome chasing coyotes away from calves in the middle of the night. I'd probably shoot them too if I had to deal with that. It would be really neat if you could get this on video or pictures. I am curious what are the cows doing while this is happening? I normally have most of the herd chasing them out of the pasture when they get too close eating baby calf manure. You may be right about circumstances; I guess we are pretty lucky in my area – hope that doesn't change!

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts