Coyote Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyB

Reaction score
We have about 30 head of cattle and we are weekend farmers. We get up there twice a week usually. We have a coyote problem that is getting rapidly worse. We used to have a donkey and never had any problems, but he kept breaking fences to get to other donkeys a pasture away so we gave him away. What are other options to keeping coyotes away?
Will a female donkey work just as good?
Are llamas an alternative option?
Do donkeys really work or is just a myth?

We have a calf that was just taken down by coyotes, can we legally poison them and what is the best way?
We have lost at least 3 calfs this year due to coyotes that we know of, and for a farmer with 30 head, that is 10% of the herd.
I know this might be a lot of questions, but we need a solution for our situation. We have tried hunting them, but it hasn't put a dent in them and they are very smart around our parts. Our neighbor hunts them and they have learned to avoid a predator call.

Yes a Jennie will work better. Or even a llama. Don't laugh. I have a buddy with a llama and since he had it he hasn't had a single problem with predators

... unless the Jack breaks in to be with the Jenny.

I would have fixed the fences for the Jack, or maybe gotten him a mate. I am sure electric fences would have kept him in.

Just curious, how hard of a keeper are llamas. Do they take special feed, or can you leave with the herd and feed them like you feed the cows.

hooknline":viviio8k said:
Yes a Jennie will work better. Or even a llama. Don't laugh. I have a buddy with a llama and since he had it he hasn't had a single problem with predators
Do you know if a vicuna or alpaca could be substituted for the llama?

ScottyB":kdwtonvu said:
We used to have a donkey and never had any problems, but he kept breaking fences to get to other donkeys a pasture away so we gave him away.

Why switch from something that worked? Never seen a jennie bother a fence, and I think they are more protective than jakes.
We run 2 jennies , a mother daughter team - never lost a calf. We calve on pasture which includes 17 acres of mixed bush.
The yotes are so heavy they have brought a bounty back last year. Some sheep folks have lost as many as 20 lambs a summer, often in daylight in front of humans.
When there is snow on the ground you can see the yotes don't even venture into donky territory!

. We have tried hunting them, but it hasn't put a dent in them and they are very smart around our parts. Our neighbor hunts them and they have learned to avoid a predator call.[/quote]

Wow that stinks to loose 3 calves. You might talk to some of the dudes around there or put some cards up on a local bulletin board and find the yote hunters in the neighborhood. When you say " We tried hunting them" what exactly does that mean? If that don't slow em down get some mortars next calving season if you can safely do that. I'm sure that's a cheap and easy method to dive into......:) ;) We have one motley looking Longhorn heifer and she don't but a few looks at a dog and begins trying to go on the prowl. I think she would have killed one fellows lab that happen to be tied to a water tank one day had I not suggested he not do that.......I have heard of others here suggest Longhorns. Is this a new problem to your area?

A neighbor had problems iwth them until he started hanging the ones he shot on his fence.

Could use couple of Jennys...stay away from Jacks... Don't know about Llamas, Alpacas, and other exotics...expensive (probably) critters.

We've got over 100 Texas Longhorns...no problems whatsoever with predators (so far). Calves will even chase our barn cats and dog away... There's nothing like a Longhorn cow with a calf at side... don't try to get her baby!

Get you a couple of Texas Longhorns with upright curved horns (hookem horns...lol)...these are better for predator control than the wide-spread ones. We have 1 or more with each of our groups and pastures.

Yotes are smart...often smarter than most humans...lol.

I've seen the dead yotes hung on fence poles in Iowa but I don't know how effective that is. Heard it works pretty well, but I doubt its as good as a Jenny

hooknline":23nndl4e said:
I've seen the dead yotes hung on fence poles in Iowa but I don't know how effective that is. Heard it works pretty well, but I doubt its as good as a Jenny
They don;t take any feed or vet care like a jenny would

dun":11omnzw0 said:
hooknline":11omnzw0 said:

Probably smell about the same too

hooknline":35a0g67u said:
dun":35a0g67u said:
hooknline":35a0g67u said:

Probably smell about the same too
The coyote stink will go away after a week or 2, the jenny will be there as long as it is

Coyotes are territorial.

If you have a pack that is not hunting your calves - leave them be... don't hunt them as they will be replaced by a different pack that may have a taste for the animals you want to protect.

We have plenty of coyotes and they hunt the wild turkeys, quail, jackrabbits and the like but to date (knockin' on wood) leave the calves alone... if that changes, we may rethink the plan.

pdfangus":3dw56amz said:
is there any problem with the donkeys stomping the calves?
Friend of mine had a jenny and an intact llama with his cows. The jenny would attack a cow whiile she was calving and the llama attacked the calves. Spitter and heehaw went to the sale barn and I hope to slaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts