Heifer calving problem help

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Just found one of our bred heifers pushing. She doesn't look like she's making progress. There is one hoof and a tongue sticking out. I think she's been pushing awhile.

Of course she's as far away from the corral as possible, at least 3/4 of a mile. I might just try it where she stands and I don't have gloves😩

Some times if they are gentle you can help them while they are pushing with contractions. Good luck

No gloves, wash up with diluted iodine. If you can't walk her to the corral do you have a halter or some way to tie her? Worst case scenario, give her just enough cubes to keep her occupied while you go in, check to see if one leg is back. Quite often when they haven't made progress even the ornery ones will let you help. Lots of lube! If you don't have any use Dawn dishwashing liquid (preferably the original blue). Good luck & keep us posted!

Just make sure she is tied to something solid. People have been killed being dragged around the paddock connected to a cow via a calving chain.

Ken

Hopefully by this time it's worked itself out one way or another...or been worked out.
Time is of the essence if she's been at it awhile with just a tongue and one hoof showing. I wouldn't let lack of gloves deter me at this stage of things.

While TC has correctly described the perfect procedure for sterility, in many situations this is not possible. Even just plain water can be usefull. Think in terms of having things mechanically clean like faeces washed away from the area and none on your arm so you are not forcing this debris deep inside. In actual fact the reproductive tract can handle a good deal of contamination during calving, it is basically self cleaning. Bits left behind like membranes are the main cause of infection and even that will sort itself out after putrifaction liquifies it and is expelled.

Ken

We tried to help her last night but she was so far from the corral, it was pouring and in the 30s, there was no way we could drive down to her with any vehicle because of so much water mud. She was too strong last night for me to help her as she just would not let me. I found her this morning in the same place laying down with Calf only about 10% out, obviously dead. She will let me pull on the calf now without trying to fight so I'm just gonna try to get it out the best way I can. Obviously I don't want to lose the mom too but I might. Been doing this for over 10 years and I know these things happen but it still sucks.

I got the calf out earlier today and the vet came and got the urine pushed back in and gave her lots of IV fluid and whatever else I can't remember. She still laying down on her stomach with her head up but she will not stand up. She still looks seriously week to me.

Was it a big calf, or just not positioned right?
We had one that was down for two weeks. We worked with her several times a day, and she finally got up. Took her a few more months to move right, and she was sold.

She just drank about 4 gallons of water but I just don't think she's going to make it. She's shaking and will not get up even with me trying to make her. She can't hold her head up now. I'd like to think she's going to sleep but I'm pretty sure she's dying.

Do you mean uterine prolapse? Not always a death sentence, I have one that's a top producer. Presumably the vet gave her penicillin for any infection & hopefully none of the arteries were severed. If she's cold/shivering can you cover her with hay, like a hay igloo, or blankets? Was the water warm? That'll help. Cows are pretty resilient so it may just take time & TLC. Sorry for the drama you're going through & please let us know how she's doing.

The calf wasn't big. Our farm is all river bottom flood plain and we've so much rain in the last 4 weeks. She is down by the river and the only way to her is by foot. I was only able to give her fresh pond water and it was fresh with so much dang rain we've had. Yes it was cold but she drank at least 4 gallons but I couldnt get her to get up. Yes it was a uterine prolapse.

Latest posts