First calf heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Getting excited. This will be my first experience with a first calf heifer. Bought her as a weanling and bred her. Starting to see some springing! Just wanted to share. How soon do you think she'll calve? No real udder yet. Expected calving window is Sept 27- Nov 30. This heifer def going to be sooner than later I think!
BF5C31BC-3CA6-428B-82DD-F764AC1530F2.pngF14F07E6-561A-4CF6-A5DA-9A7B2714CCB3.png

Be at least a while yet.
Wait for the milk...

I'll guess end of October........ ish

O! And I like her.
What she bred to?
Thanks! Just a local commercial angus. I bought her with intent to register her but never did. Her sire is JV Turningpoint. I have her half sister too.

I agree with most that she is a ways off. That said, I've calved hundreds of heifers and still have trouble predicting. She looks good though and should make a nice momma.

106dba72-91cb-4c0a-9da5-b33991b9693b-jpeg.21586
B3035FE4-23CD-44DF-A869-04838DBE1C30.jpeg47CDC045-01A7-4E2C-A5C1-205F8ECBCB5C.jpeg
We're getting closer! More springing but no milk or strutting of the teats yet.

Attachments

• 106DBA72-91CB-4C0A-9DA5-B33991B9693B.jpeg
    106DBA72-91CB-4C0A-9DA5-B33991B9693B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 154
Instead of focusing just on her bag, springing & subsequent mucus plug, watch her behavior. First calf heifers tend to separate, pace, act needy, pay way too much attention to other calves, either can't get enough cubes or not want to eat. She may get a little fired up. Watch her lay down, get up, lay down. She may look at her behind and start mooing. She knows something's going on! Look at her from behind and she won't look as heavy bred when the calf drops into position. And good luck! She may calve and mother up like a champ. But she also may do the "heifer dance" and initially not let her calf nurse. Cubes are your friend! Dump a pile and get the calf latched on while she's occupied, which will kick her mothering hormones into high gear. Or should. Safety first - always use a chute if there's any question.

Instead of focusing just on her bag, springing & subsequent mucus plug, watch her behavior. First calf heifers tend to separate, pace, act needy, pay way too much attention to other calves, either can't get enough cubes or not want to eat. She may get a little fired up. Watch her lay down, get up, lay down. She may look at her behind and start mooing. She knows something's going on! Look at her from behind and she won't look as heavy bred when the calf drops into position. And good luck! She may calve and mother up like a champ. But she also may do the "heifer dance" and initially not let her calf nurse. Cubes are your friend! Dump a pile and get the calf latched on while she's occupied, which will kick her mothering hormones into high gear. Or should. Safety first - always use a chute if there's any question.
Thank you very much for all that great info! I hadn't considered the other behaviors that they would display. So far she's acting like a normal heifer. But I'll look for those signs you mentioned. Thankfully she's real gentle but I will still take caution as I know when they calve they can be a different story lol

Latest posts