Coyote Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
One place we had the house was all the way at the back of the property . The neighbors cows would come back there to calve. I saw coyotes tearing at a calf while the cow was in labor, that happened a couple of times then I started my vendetta against coyotes.

We had a coyote go after some cattle, but our donkey killed the coyote before it could do any damage..That was last year..We haven't even heard
coyotes here in the last couple of months..Very unusual..We usually hear them at least 3-4 times a week in the distance.

I could imagine that would be pretty scary and a bit troublesome chasing coyotes away from calves in the middle of the night. I'd probably shoot them too if I had to deal with that. It would be really neat if you could get this on video or pictures. I am curious what are the cows doing while this is happening? I normally have most of the herd chasing them out of the pasture when they get too close eating baby calf manure. You may be right about circumstances; I guess we are pretty lucky in my area – hope that doesn't change!

Have a nice day!

Its not really scary. I do pack a pistal and rifle when I head to the fields and I have the owners permission to shoot on site. Unfortunitly city is moving so close to our properties that it is very hard to get a safe shot.
Probably another reason the coyotes are getting worse. People are moving in and forcing them our way.
Unfortunitly at 2-4am which is usually the time they attemp the calves, a camera isn't really usable. Atleast not one we have.
To answer your question on what the moms are doing, they are screaming a scream that makes the hair on your arms stand up. They try and save their calves.
Unfotunitly especially this year there are more coyotes than before and the neighbors cattle are all first year calvers and don't seem to be the brightest cattle ive seen. They will go 20+ acres away from their calves day or night. The calves will be balling for their moms and the moms just keep doing what they are doing. I think this is why the coyotes are able to get latched onto the calves before the moms get over to try and save their calf.
If I get video (don't count on it) i'll be sure to share it ;-)
Double R

dun":3tp8vu6l said:
One place we had the house was all the way at the back of the property . The neighbors cows would come back there to calve. I saw coyotes tearing at a calf while the cow was in labor, that happened a couple of times then I started my vendetta against coyotes.

That happens at the neighbors also. Thats why for many years we have brought them into fields by the house to calve and keep them their until the calves are strong enough to be able to fend for themselves.
Double R

rulintheroost":mzcrma8v said:
We had a coyote go after some cattle, but our donkey killed the coyote before it could do any damage..That was last year..We haven't even heard
coyotes here in the last couple of months..Very unusual..We usually hear them at least 3-4 times a week in the distance.

Thats the reason we got the donkey we have. Unfortunitly within a week of being introduced to 45+ day weanlings he was trying to beat them dead. And before you all ask yes he's castrated. He was only a year old when we got him and started to introduce him the the goats and cattle.
Yet another mouth to feed that doesn't do his job
Double R

Ours is a Jenny, and she has been here for almost 15 years, but our neighbors also had a problem with their jack too. He tried to kill their goats..

Double R Ranch":37oslu8x said:
dun":37oslu8x said:

That happens at the neighbors also. Thats why for many years we have brought them into fields by the house to calve and keep them their until the calves are strong enough to be able to fend for themselves.
Double R
Kind of funny that the only place that's happened was that one farm. Even funnier is that it was just outside of Oakdale

If your in the cattle, livestock business and don't kill all varmits you need to have your head examined..

SSS= Shoot, Shovel, & Shut-Up!!! If my livestock is threatened, I take care of business!!!

highgrit":1npc0i3f said:
If your in the cattle, livestock business and don't kill all varmits you need to have your head examined..

Truer words were never spoken!!!! AMEN!!!!!

highgrit":12a9imip said:

Wisdom beyond my meager comprehension, but may explain the popularity of HSUS and PETA.

Have a nice day!

highgrit":26jf2odp said:

Agreed. The best way to deal with a predator problem is to eliminate ALL the predators before they ever become a problem.

Conagher, hsus and peta are mostly liberal do gooders, that don't know the taste of a good steak. There popularity is generated by the liberal media, illegal immigrants, and the black democratic votes." EAT MORE BEEF ITS WHATS FOR DINNER"

highgrit":193nf0fx said:
Yes sir. that's the way I operate to. Even if they wont kill a calf they sure will kill chickens so they are on my hit list! I have an ol .243 that goes everwhere I go, pickup, tractor, atv. its there ready to work on varmits, beavers and hogs. and if I can't find them to shoot I know another way to tak care of them.
Makes me wonder if some people on here just might be a member of PETA or HSUS the way they talk. ???

Conagher":29mnb8f5 said:
highgrit":29mnb8f5 said:

Wisdom beyond my meager comprehension, but may explain the popularity of HSUS and PETA.

Have a nice day!

there's a lot of room between killing every animal you see and hsus/peta. someone should start a "wildlife friendly beef" label. i bet a lot of consumers would be willing to pay a premium to producers willing to leave a little grass cover for the small vertebrates and not go out of their way to kill every carnivore on premises.

Well the title of the thread if "Coyote Problem". Of course if they are a problem then take care of the problem but I can't see shooting every coyote, fox or whatever taht just happens to pass thru the neighborhood.

If you own cows and raise calfs some are going to die, but I can't afford to let varmits kill them. I believe you make your own luck, so if I get lucky and kill a varmit its a great day. I also kill all the rattlesnakes I see, because if someone got bit it would be horrible. People come first.

It amazes me how many times I've seen people whine about HSUS and PETA and then turn right around and post something that only makes them stronger.

Conagher and highgrit are both right. HSUS and PETA are run by liberal do gooders, but they're becoming more popular with the general public because of morons that get on an internet forum and brag about how much fun it is to kill everything they see. Do you people really think that the average consumer knows where their beef comes from? Do you think they know, or even care, about the struggles you go through to put that beef on their tables, including dealing with "varmints"? Not hardly. All they care about is if it tastes good and can they afford it.

Like TexasBred said, if you have a problem deal with it as best you can. But think about this: Your enemies have had a field day painting you in a bad light because of a few isolated incidents involving cruelty to cattle. Now they have the opportunity to paint beef producers as a bunch of crazy, wild-eyed, trigger happy Neanderthals that get their jollies shooting at everything that moves. Do you think that's going to get people to buy more beef? "BEEF, IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER" my ass! Heck, someone on a another thread actually suggested gut shooting a wolf so it would travel far, far away before dying an agonizing death. Yeah, Suzie Homemaker is gonna want to run right out and buy tons of beef from that guy! :roll:

Use your frickin' heads.

highgrit":137g8gmf said:
If you own cows and raise calfs some are going to die, but I can't afford to let varmits kill them. I believe you make your own luck, so if I get lucky and kill a varmit its a great day. I also kill all the rattlesnakes I see, because if someone got bit it would be horrible. People come first.
Be sure and hang them all on the front fence so everyone can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts