Coyote or dog attack

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Neighbor stopped by today.Found a newborn calf minus a tail and lacerations to the rear legs.

I was always told coyotes go for the throat and dogs attack the rear.

Any experience would be welcome.

JW IN VA said:
Neighbor stopped by today.Found a newborn calf minus a tail and lacerations to the rear legs.

I was always told coyotes go for the throat and dogs attack the rear.

Any experience would be welcome.

In my experience dogs kill and coyotes eat. Coyotes are cowards, dogs are too stupid to be when taking on the cow.
If you can find tracks dog and coyote are not the same. Coyote track is more oblong and you can draw an X without touching a pad print, dog you can't it's more rounded.

Coyotes don't go for the throat, they bite what they can get their teeth on. Missing tail but not eaten sure sounds like dogs.

Sounds like that is more like the work of a dog. Coyotes will go for throat, flanks, and like a previous post said anything the can get a hold of, but usually results in the animal being killed and eaten. Dogs just do damage that can result in death or seriously maimed animals that have to be destroyed.
I would add if it is in an area where dogs are frequently seen running around, that is likely the culprit. In our area we are heavily populated with coyotes and since that has happened roaming dogs are very seldom seen anymore.

A coyote was seen in the same field a day or two before.I'm pretty sure it was probably done by one of them.Had one or two killed by them this year.First one I can't say if it was killed or died then eaten.Second one I'm most sure.

Your coyotes must be different than ours. I occasionally see them walking among the cows catching mice and the cows barely notice. Except for the longhorns.

kenny thomas said:
Your coyotes must be different than ours. I occasionally see them walking among the cows catching mice and the cows barely notice. Except for the longhorns.
We had one last year that showed up every day after we fed, eating any residule cubes/dust & cow poop. Wandered among the cows & bulls like he owned the place, the cattle pretty much ignored him. We were getting close to calving & decided he needed to go but never could get a good shot so we called one of our neighbors that was a sniper in the military & that dang 'yote evidently sensed something was up, never showed when our neighbor was here but would make a reappearance. When we started calving the coyote was gone. Presumably the mamas ran him off? But we never saw him again and (knock wood!) have never lost a calf to one.

If you have a coyote that does not bother anything the worst thing you can do is kill it. Another will take over the territory and it may or may not bother things.

The coyotes are hard on our sheep especially during the spring and fall. Trapping has really helped cut down on the kills.

I agree with the statements above about coyotes eating what they kill. Generally when we have a coyote kill you will only find some tuffs of wool and blood. When dogs attack we usually find 2 or 3 dead sheep that haven't been eaten. It's a game to dogs.

Another thing to keep in mind is if dogs did the killing they need to be gotten rid of. Once a dog starts killing livestock they will not stop. We have had dogs we tied up for killing sheep. 2 years later they get loose and go straight to the field to kill more sheep.

Our cattle on the other hand are very defensive when it comes to canines. I don't even take my dog with me to the field anymore. Last year my neighbor was walking his part pit bull and came over to the pasture to talk to me. The dog made its way over by the cows and it was on. I finally got the dog out of the field before they killed him but they were charging him and trying to stomp him. I was actually glad to see this.

kenny thomas said:
If you have a coyote that does not bother anything the worst thing you can do is kill it. Another will take over the territory and it may or may not bother things.
It's that 50/50 chance thing. That 'good coyote' goes on to breed and how many of her pups are going to be 'good coyotes' and how many are going to be bad coyotes?
I have more bullets than there are coyotes in this county.

FWIW My :2cents:
Coyotes are cowardly opportunists, beneficial to the eco system and highly adaptable survivors. Its a proven fact that aggressive attempts to terminate them is extremely counterproductive. As noted above, my cattle (who are very protective) pay scant attention to coyotes cautiously scavenging amongst them. Altogether different story when my stock dogs are present and yes they are dog broke and because the dogs are well trained I rely on them to assist me during tagging & weighing. YMMV
IMO Coyotes are a handy scape goat for man's cattle mgt screw ups.
For obvious reasons, sheep are a different deal altogether and in most cases nesesitate 24/7 protection via LGD's etc.
As to who to blame in the death of the calf...you needed to be at the scene but I'd put my money on dog(s). Lost several registered cows, pairs and yrlg replacements a number of years back. All signs (extreme harassment, bodies covered in bite marks, limbs & faces torn off but no sign of feasting)...were clearly the work of dogs.
And yes, the offenders were eventually disposed. Carefully I might add as the offending owner was a major meth and dope producer. :frowns:

Been dealing with predators since I was a kid.
The old man had a bunch of sheep and as has been mentioned coyotes usually cleaned up a lamb overnight. Have personally witness packs of 5 to 8 coyotes killing calves and eating the back end out of cows having difficult births on a couple big outfits my wife and I rode for when we were first married.

As a rule, dogs will attack the back end of prey, bears over the back and neck and cats go for the throat. Having said that, canines will go for the throat on smaller prey like lambs and calves.

Wolves will eat everything but the teeth on calves up to 400 lbs, even licking the grass clean of blood. Bears will lots of times leave the whole hide with lower legs attached as their only evidence.

We have had 412 cattle not return home from range since spring of 2003. During this same time period, BC's wild ungulate populations have taken a huge beating also. Sad situation that those decision makers responsible for predator control are more concerned with votes than what needs doing.

76 Bar said:
FWIW My :2cents:
Coyotes are cowardly opportunists, beneficial to the eco system and highly adaptable survivors. Its a proven fact that aggressive attempts to terminate them is extremely counterproductive. As noted above, my cattle (who are very protective) pay scant attention to coyotes cautiously scavenging amongst them. Altogether different story when my stock dogs are present and yes they are dog broke and because the dogs are well trained I rely on them to assist me during tagging & weighing. YMMV
IMO Coyotes are a handy scape goat for man's cattle mgt screw ups.
For obvious reasons, sheep are a different deal altogether and in most cases nesesitate 24/7 protection via LGD's etc.
As to who to blame in the death of the calf...you needed to be at the scene but I'd put my money on dog(s). Lost several registered cows, pairs and yrlg replacements a number of years back. All signs (extreme harassment, bodies covered in bite marks, limbs & faces torn off but no sign of feasting)...were clearly the work of dogs.
And yes, the offenders were eventually disposed. Carefully I might add as the offending owner was a major meth and dope producer. :frowns:

I agree 100% dogs are the culprit 99 times out of a 100. People see the coyotes dining on Rovers work and blame the coyote.
If you learn to tell the difference in the tracks and you find any dog tracks at the scene, you can bet the dog was the killer.
No one wants to believe their dog will join in on the fun either!
Doesn't matter if it's a weeny dog and a Great Dane they get packed up with two or theee others and they become a killing machine. The next morning they are laying on the porch resting from wiping out the neighbors livestock 5 miles from the house.

We had a first calf heifer that as harassed by dogs one night. She ran through our fence and over to a neighbors place. He was able to milk her and put her in a pen so we could load her. When we got her home we realized she would never be the same, she had lost all her marbles.

I've also watched 3 dogs run down and kill deer with incredible precision, but never consumed them.

I would say dogs are your culprit

I will add that one of my dogs is a Lab/Greyhound mix that has killed & subsequently eaten freakin' beavers (or the majority thereof). 'Yotes will startle the bejesus outta me when they run in a pack by the house in the middle of the night and I don't doubt they prey on the weak but generally have enough rabbits, small vermin to eat. I don't like coyotes anywhere near the herd & have seen them chase calves but have to agree they are primarily opportunistic.

Latest posts