Cows Sure Can Hide Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Williamsv

Reaction score
I had a Beefmaster that had her first calf Saturday afternoon. She was in some tall ryegrass and I could tell that she looked alright. Did not disturb her, as she is one that I bought last June and have not succeeded at taming her as I have my others.
Went back Sunday afternoon and she had moved the calf next to a fence and they both looked fine. Again, I did not disturb them. We went on to another part of the field to check the rest of the cows. I looked up and there she came without the calf. I felt uneasy about this as the field is rather large and they can go from it back into the pasture.
We left and came back after church to check on the calf. It was gone from where we left it Sunday afternoon. We tried to find it Monday and Tuesday. If she saw us watching, she would try every way she could to lead us in another direction. I noticed that she kept going to a certain part of the pasture, but would leave if she glimpsed us.
I had about given up and decided it was gone. This morning I saw her with the other cows. When I looked back again, there was the baby right with her. All of that worry and fretting for nothing. She was taking great care to keep it hidden. She really succeeded.I will know next time not to look for her baby till she brings it up. That sure was a pretty sight to see the calf with her this morning.

I dont know how many hours in my early days i searched for calves only to find that the cow knew where they were all along....I no longer do this. If i see a cow hides her calf, it goes down in my records.
Most cows will give a hint to where they are, a eye glance, an ear turn, a look the other way...
My conclusion is, if the cow isnt worried, neither am i....aint nobody got time for that...

I know that all too well now. Was just concerned since this is her first calf. It was running with the others this afternoon. She can't hide it any longer.

Look for sucked tits. You can drive yourself nuts wondering on some of them but a shiny tit is a good clue that there's a live calf floating around somewhere.

I do have to say in defense of my cows, not all of them are like Williamsv or the one in the video; some of them take pity on me & lead me right to their calf. Good thing since we do tag/band/work on day 1 or 2 & I spend quality time scouring the ranch. We calve out the heifers in the barn but they still hide them once we let them join the herd.

NolanCountyAG":26wcrfka said:
TCRanch":26wcrfka said:
https://www.facebook.com/Ashdale4/videos/836508036401234/

So true!

I was about to post that. Lol.

I got a drone for christmas and it is freaking handy at spotting calves in tall grass.

That video cracks me up every time :). The drone sounds amazing! Can you see in the woods (where a lot of our calves are hidden)?

TCRanch":1spo6ncz said:
NolanCountyAG":1spo6ncz said:
TCRanch":1spo6ncz said:
https://www.facebook.com/Ashdale4/videos/836508036401234/

So true!

I was about to post that. Lol.

I got a drone for christmas and it is freaking handy at spotting calves in tall grass.

That video cracks me up every time :). The drone sounds amazing! Can you see in the woods (where a lot of our calves are hidden)?

I've got a lot of cedar and mesquite but nothing I would consider woods. I flew over some timber in Oklahoma and the signal gets weak when you go to hovering the canopy

My husband was wishing for a drone as we looked for calf. I knew about where it was, but did not want to upset this cow. She has not been real easy to tame. Calf is up running with her now and she sure can't hide it.
Have had three more since then and they are right with the herd. Just once in a while we have one to play hide and seek for a few days.
Yes, a drone would really help me now, especially since mine are in tall ryegrass.

I learned a couple years ago that as long as the cow isn't worried, I'm not worried. If a cow loses her calf, or it wanders too far away, she'll let you know by pacing along the fence. I've learned 2 exceptions however: cows with twins will often not fret if they still have 1, and I'd be nervous about first calf heifers if I haven't seen a strong mothering instinct before the calf went missing.

I don't think it's actually the cow that hides the calf as much as it's the calf going to hide itself... That's what I've been seeing around here. Calf will wander to find a nice place, momma follows.

Once had a newborn calf missing for a week. The cow was nervous too. Had almost lost hope. However one morning the cow escaped from the pasture and then finally we saw a calf. We actually thought that the calf probably has drown in the swamp or in the ditch.
Usually calves tend to hide for a couple days, some more, in a big grass away from the herd. Later the momma cow lead the calf to the herd. And as somebody above wrote, as long as a cow is calm, you can be pretty calm too.
Have a pair of twins this year and if one calf is with the cow she's calm. Needed to play for a couple days to lead one twin or another to the cow.

Latest posts