Cows spoiled by grass

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Being new to running cows on bigger acreage, I have a question. It seems I have cows that are spoiled on grass and aren't browsing on the other stuff. This property is 50/50 grass and other stuff/woods mixed. There's plenty of browse for them to eat but the grass is basically too short for them to get to. A few are losing body condition. Not bad but I want I head it off. Besides molasses, how hungry do they have I get before they figure out there's other stuff besides grass? I could hay them but with so much browse I'm not sure what to do here.
What do you guys think?

My cows act that way sometimes . I put out a PVm tub with urea in it . It will make them eat the bark off a tree . I also put out enough hay for 3 days and then skip a day .. I put the hay in the area I want them to browse . They stay close to the hay racks but are always trying to find something to eat when I get there to hay ..

That's the way we like to do it here, but you have to have enough standing grass
The grass doesn't have enough protein and energy most times so we feed cake.
If I were going to feed urea I'd dang sure have hay available or plenty of standing grass.
That's on dry cows ,nursing cows are a whole nother deal though

Urea in a loose mix or in molasses will make them chase the roughage and help them hold condition but make sure what you think is edible browse is something they can utilise.
Summer is our main growing season here and it also helps if they go into late autumn/winter without calves on them though we do calve mid winter but the demands on the pasture don't seem to be as high with just a young calf on them. After Xmas when calves are 5mths old I always reckon the demands on the pasture are like 1+1=3 when cows feeding calves.
Ken

I figured I would have to make some eat the browse as some would not eat it no matter what. A lot of it is super nutritious but not very palatable. I just don't like the idea of haying them at 40/roll when there is good stuff there.
Thanks everyoen

Woods browse is like grass, the older it gets the poorer it becomes for browse. I think you will find what they are turning their noses up at now they will relish in the spring. That's how it works here anyway.

Jogeephus":s20kslvn said:
Woods browse is like grass, the older it gets the poorer it becomes for browse. I think you will find what they are turning their noses up at now they will relish in the spring. That's how it works here anyway.
That's good to know. Thanks

This may come as a shock to you, but cows aren't supposed to eat browse. They are built to eat grass. That's pretty much it. In fact, they aren't even really built to eat grain. Its pretty much just grass. That's how nature intended it, and that is how I do things at my place.

If you want to make your woods a place where they can find something to eat it will take some time, but it can be done. The best way to do it is to park your cattle in the edge of the woods at night. Use temporary electric fencing and fence off a little piece where they can go to rest at night. They will only be there over night, so they don't need food or water.

I would say that you would really have to pack them in to have the most effect.

I don't know how many animals you have, but lets say that you have fifty. I wouldn't give them more than 1/8 acre of woods at night. You want them in there trampling the underbrush, vines, and smashing up leaf litter and peeing and pooping on everything. You can give them a new 1/8 acre every night to rest in.

After a while you will start to see a big difference in your woods. All of your underbrush and leaf litter will start to disappear. You can really help speed things along by removing some trees and letting some light come through the canopy to get some grass growing in there.

Once you get the grass growing you have to rotate your animals through just like the rest of your pasture to keep them up.

I always try to advise people to do this because of the benefits it brings to your farm. Imagine that you have a piece of land that is 80 acres. 55 of it is good pasture, 5 acres has your handling pens, hay barn, etc on it, and 20 acres are woods. Well, imagine if you could turn two acres of that into usable pasture every year. In a decade you'll have 20 more grazable acres. You took useless land and made it productive and it cost you nothing but time.

I was over there today and it seems they have figured out there's more to life than just grass. All of them were in the woods and in the browse. A few are still looking thin but I will cull those. Everyone else is holding good condition even with calves on them.

Careful what ya wish for Hook. Around here, Yaupon is the browse of choice right now and once yours get a taste for your local native woods stuff, you'll have heck getting them out of it.

Latest posts