Cows (PICS)

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Took some pics yesterday and today...
"Woody Tongue" (if yall remember last year she had wooden tongue) she has filled back out quite nicely except she'll more than likely be late calving...
May225.jpg

May260.jpg

May229.jpg

May255.jpg

May250.jpg

"Timmy"
May258.jpg

The newest baby...he is actually bigger than "Timmy" and some of the other calves...
May040.jpg

"Turkey" (we had some very heavy rains about a week or so ago and he got swept down the creek...thank goodness he was unharmed
May044.jpg

Out at our other place we had 2 more new calves by our red bull...
Bull Calf
May060.jpg

May204.jpg

Heifer Calf
May061.jpg

Fat doe
May087.jpg

"Baldie" looks like he is posing for a show or something..
May179.jpg

"Rudy"
May182.jpg

My cow "Casper" who I think is getting pretty close to calving...it'll be her 3rd calf
May186.jpg

Calves sure look good. Do you get docked on price for the spotted ones or the red ones?
Looks like the flys are doing good also in the first picture.

kenny thomas":3f819xw1 said:
Calves sure look good. Do you get docked on price for the spotted ones or the red ones? Looks like the flys are doing good also in the first picture.

Doesn't seem like we ever get docked on our prices for the painted calves...but I don't know for sure b/c I only have 2 cows that are MINE (still working on building my herd up, lol) and I don't really look at my dad's or grand dad's prices....but they've never said anything before about getting docked....

The reason I ask is I have several simmy X cows and use black simmy bulls. If I get a spotted calf it will be discounted as much as 15 cents per lb. Red with spots is even worse. They chase black much worst here in the east.

Great calves - I sure miss those "flowered" calves. You think you get docked at the market - you should try to sell PUREBRED breeding stock that look like that! "Dock" doesn't cover it!
I still LOVE THEM!!

Well, I think those are some great looking calves! I would be proud to have them on my farm. I don't know why color doesn't sell as well as black . I would be looking at the phenotype to make me money at slaughter not the color. I understand the show circuit is different. I must say I have five black calves born this year that I wish looked like yours....Trade? LOL

BARNSCOOP":9zfmpvjr said:
Well, I think those are some great looking calves! I would be proud to have them on my farm. I don't know why color doesn't sell as well as black . I would be looking at the phenotype to make me money at slaughter not the color. I understand the show circuit is different. I must say I have five black calves born this year that I wish looked like yours....Trade? LOL
these are exactly what you dont want in "our area", sure their colorful but you'll be crying when payday roll's around.. how do i know you may ask? ive been there, got the stripes on my ass to prove it

BARNSCOOP":165jt8lz said:
The FEEDLOTS dictate the color pricing & breeding. They pay more for blacks and really, really discount the spots. It's a trickle down affect. Started 30 years ago. Cattle back then were always "backgrounded", than came the large framed Continentals. Took a long time for feedlots to figure out you had to take them off the teat & put them on a hot ration.
Our daughter showed many spotted steers that won & went Prime 1 or Choice 1 at 13-14 months of age at 1300#. But, they went right from cow to grain & got pushed.

BARNSCOOP":jxzwqevs said:
alacattleman,

Please compound on your statement. What was it that cost you so? The color, frame, etc? I would be interested to know.
these type are later slow maturing cattle.take longer too finish and a whole lot of groceries too do it .. that are hard too fit in a feedlot, while those smaller framed will fatten quicker and finish,,,,, while these are still gnawing on corn and trying too convert

Latest posts