Cows need supplemental feeding!

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk":1hm16d08 said:
Dun
I agree very strongly. Is that what is meant by easy fleshing :?:

I guess it is, never thought of it in those terms.

dun

Disagree with supplementing cattle, it still comes back to being a grass farmer first. Are you raising feed in the pasture or just green crap. If you have quality pasture and good hay there is no reason to supplement the cow.

My dad always said " Its easier to keep a cow up than to get a cow up." Then he would tell me to put out another bucket of corn. I don't think anyone likes downer's, so it works for me. Beside a little feed keeps them running to the barn every time they see someone as opposed to going to the back 40 when someone comes up.

Caustic Burno":w92mno8h said:
Disagree with supplementing cattle, it still comes back to being a grass farmer first. Are you raising feed in the pasture or just green crap. If you have quality pasture and good hay there is no reason to supplement the cow.

This is another of those agree and disagree deals. The second year of the dorught before this we sold down to just a handfull of the best cows. Those we supplmented during the winter and fed hay during the summer. May not have been the best way to do it, but at least we were able to hang on to some of the genetics we had worked to build.But it takes pretty dire circumstances to supplement.

It's was fun to see my thread posted again after 2 yrs. :D

I reviewed what we talked about earlier and a lot has changed. As an update on my position and supplementing.....We have added a fall herd that we are using for ET. I have been giving them about 2lbs of corn during the winter months. I am thinking that this may help my retention of the embryo's by reducing some stress. I have NOT been supplementing my spring herd at the present. I am really happy with the bcs of my herd. I am very selective of the hay that I am feeding each group. The fall herd is recieving the better hay (alfalfa/clover/orchardgrass). The spring herd gets fescue and orchardgrass. I am also using corn stover. alternating with the hay (2 bales hay to 1 corn).
Anyway the discussions of this board and others that I have had with many helpful people have led me to approach supplements in this way.....I will probably feed additional corn to cows that are in the first trimester and raising a calf at the same time. Especially to the fall herd. Maybe the spring herd won't need it as I improve pasture managament.
I guess it will really come down to bcs and the ability of MY cattle. :?
I would say that my original blanket statement of feeding for feeding sake is wrong.

dun":3f5tjxlg said:
Caustic Burno":3f5tjxlg said:

This is another of those agree and disagree deals. The second year of the dorught before this we sold down to just a handfull of the best cows. Those we supplmented during the winter and fed hay during the summer. May not have been the best way to do it, but at least we were able to hang on to some of the genetics we had worked to build.But it takes pretty dire circumstances to supplement.

Drought conditions are "acceptable" for supplemental feeding. ALot of times in drought you may not profit near as much by extra feeding in hope of the long term benefit, which is not having to sell off as many head.

I have to agree that if you have good grass and good cattle there is no need for any thing else but mineral and water. Not all grass is created equal so some times you got to do what you got to do. :|

Now, if you can make your bottom line better by feeding ground feed... :clap:... but don't think those animals are superior because the are slick. :)

dun":1y63n8yu said:
Caustic Burno":1y63n8yu said:

If your cows are butterball fat just grazing, there is no need to supplement.

Dun hit the nail on the head in an earlier post regarding breeds. As far as getting the number of years out of a cow and her reproduction rate, that is especially breed related.

You also have to factor climate.

Corn has always been expensive around here as best I can tell. Folks near the corn belt will pay less than we will, always.

My cows do get cubed once in a while such that I can change pastures, cross the paved road to yet other pastures and such. It is easier for me to lead them than it is to try and drive them. If peanut hay was still available around here like it used to be, the cows would run to it much faster than cubes.

I probably shouldn't even post on this topic since cattle sales are not my primary source of income but I do supplement in winter especially and very lightly in spring and summer. Our cattle seem to be extemely fertile, raise big calves, maintain body condition and breed back early. I can't claim that the supplemental feeding is responsible for all of this but I do think it helps. The cattle are brangus which I'm sure helps me in the Texas heat and the are good hustlers and milkers. Got one cow that will be 13 in March, had her 11th calf October 18th and we bred her again in December. Still looks like a young cow except for some "stray grey hairs" her hose and head.

If I forced the cattle to pay their own way and make me some money I'm sure I'd might have to cut back on some of this supplemental feeding and feed nothing but grass and hay. (and maybe some broom weed)

This winter will be a first for me. Poor management - you can read this as MY FAULT - will cause me to start feeding very shortly. I have 30 acres of ryegrass in three paddocks, but it won't be enough. For me - January is a critical month. (I calve Dec. to Feb.) January is when I re-evaluate each cow's BCS and make changes if necessary to make sure that all the cows are fit enough to cycle. Well that mild nice winter we were having has turned colder and much much wetter. Ryegrass isn't growing right now (It will probably jump by March 1 with all of this rain), and I'm very low on hay. No other choice but to supplement. Called the Feed Store yesterday and they sell a "stocker grower" in bulk for .105 per pound. Closest available - so I'll have to go with that.

This past summer I made the choice to sell half of the hay made to help a local friend out. Although I still made revenue from the sale of the hay, if I had the hay now, I wouldn't have to supplement. Sometimes you gotta take your medecine. :|

cypressfarms":1ra9yv4p said:
This winter will be a first for me. Poor management - you can read this as MY FAULT - will cause me to start feeding very shortly. I have 30 acres of ryegrass in three paddocks, but it won't be enough. For me - January is a critical month. (I calve Dec. to Feb.) January is when I re-evaluate each cow's BCS and make changes if necessary to make sure that all the cows are fit enough to cycle. Well that mild nice winter we were having has turned colder and much much wetter. Ryegrass isn't growing right now (It will probably jump by March 1 with all of this rain), and I'm very low on hay. No other choice but to supplement. Called the Feed Store yesterday and they sell a "stocker grower" in bulk for .105 per pound. Closest available - so I'll have to go with that.

This past summer I made the choice to sell half of the hay made to help a local friend out. Although I still made revenue from the sale of the hay, if I had the hay now, I wouldn't have to supplement. Sometimes you gotta take your medecine. :|

That is the reason I never sell hay period. You can't ever have too much hay. I will end this year with enough to feed next year, you never know what this hay season is going to be like bumper crop or bust.

CB, all I can add to that is a big "AMEN". It may get a little weather beaten around my place since I can't store it all in a barn but to mee there is no such thing has too much hay.

If you sold your hay to really help a friend then don't worry. The short term may be tough but in the long run I believe good deeds like that will return in kind.
Several years ago I helped a good friend out who was trying to start a dairy. He didn't have any hay to speak of and very little money. I gave him 75 bales of hay. I knew I would not ever be paid for those bales...there was no way. Anyway now 4 yrs later I am putting in 3000' of water line and he is going to let me use his recently purchased ditcher. I am very happy that things are working for him. I have always felt that he was a good man and that he just needed a little help. Things work out for the better.
cypress - helping your fellow man is never a mistake

Caustic Burno":8z6ce72x said:
That is the reason I never sell hay period. You can't ever have too much hay. I will end this year with enough to feed next year, you never know what this hay season is going to be like bumper crop or bust.

Your right Caustic. The 80 or so bales would have been enough to carry me all the way through with plenty extra. We only really have 3 maybe 4 weeks more of hay season. I couldn't turn my back on a friend though.

I'll be putting electric fence up this weekend around the ryegrass. I had planned to hay it this spring, but I won't be able to do that - I'll need every bit of it as forage NOW.

The way I figure, this decision will cost me about $400 worth of feed - so that the cows are going up instead of down when they need to be bred. As you know Caustic, a hay error will cost you two years if your cows don't get bred back.

No excuses, I'm a big boy. I can't turn my back on my buddy, though. He's going to need hay this summer again. I'll either have to fertilize my hay fields more - or plant more ryegrass.

One option that I have the luxury of is dad's barn. It's full of hay (about 100 rolls), and I can have all I want free - but I have to haul it 60 miles round trip. I'm headed that way tomorrow morning. Just put my last bale out here about an hour ago.

Caustic Burno":3o03mbn1 said:

Barns help with this issue. I think we got one more year of the drought here anyway.It seems that that was easy reading some where in my youth .... maybe Daniel..... We have had some good rains lately. We have acted to stop the decline of the pastures.

We ain't in as gooda shape as you but we ain't that far apart on the hay thing.

Water is a wonderfull thing.

George Monk":2aqomffw said:
I gave him 75 bales of hay. I knew I would not ever be paid for those bales...there was no way. Anyway now 4 yrs later I am putting in 3000' of water line and he is going to let me use his recently purchased ditcher. I am very happy that things are working for him. I have always felt that he was a good man and that he just needed a little help. Things work out for the better.
cypress - helping your fellow man is never a mistake

It always seem to work out for some folks. I am happy for you.

It always works out for the purpose that we are here for.

dun":33b3j9z7 said:
[We did give tyhe heifers about 1/4 pound a day of grain the last month before they calved so that in theory they would calve during the daylight. The aearliest was 6 am the latest was 6 pm so I guess it worked.
dun

Can you elaborate on this Dun ? What time are you giving the grain ?

Melissa

usernametaken":33ha8nu7 said:
dun":33ha8nu7 said:
[We did give tyhe heifers about 1/4 pound a day of grain the last month before they calved so that in theory they would calve during the daylight. The aearliest was 6 am the latest was 6 pm so I guess it worked.
dun

Can you elaborate on this Dun ? What time are you giving the grain ?

Melissa

Around 5:30 or 6.

Latest posts