Cows need supplemental feeding!

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk":429g2xg5 said:
It's was fun to see my thread posted again after 2 yrs. :D

I reviewed what we talked about earlier and a lot has changed. As an update on my position and supplementing.....We have added a fall herd that we are using for ET. I have been giving them about 2lbs of corn during the winter months. I am thinking that this may help my retention of the embryo's by reducing some stress. I have NOT been supplementing my spring herd at the present. I am really happy with the bcs of my herd. I am very selective of the hay that I am feeding each group. The fall herd is recieving the better hay (alfalfa/clover/orchardgrass). The spring herd gets fescue and orchardgrass. I am also using corn stover. alternating with the hay (2 bales hay to 1 corn).
Anyway the discussions of this board and others that I have had with many helpful people have led me to approach supplements in this way.....I will probably feed additional corn to cows that are in the first trimester and raising a calf at the same time. Especially to the fall herd. Maybe the spring herd won't need it as I improve pasture managament.
I guess it will really come down to bcs and the ability of MY cattle. :?
I would say that my original blanket statement of feeding for feeding sake is wrong.

If you are supplementing any feed with bovatech in it has a plus on reproduction. Do a search on bovatech first calf heifers supplemented with anything with bovatechwill breed back in 35 days we have witnessed this, We use tubs with the bovatech in itt.

Dusty,
Our supplement is 2lbs of corn for energy. The additional fertility does sound good I will check into it. That is the reason I am supplementing after all. Give the gals a reasonable $$$$$ supplement to help them do thier job. I suppose there are many people that invest the money into loafing sheds or better cover. I can't do that now bu may some day. Right now a good cedar grove has to suffice.

I don't get why you supplement feed year round. I understand durning the winter and calving or during drought but year round. You tack on that much more cost to raising that calf but if it works for you good for you.Im going to stick with winter and calving though to keep my coast down since there is that muc hmore profit in itfor me and so then my cows do the maximum on grass and pass on good gain traits. Just my ideas on it though.

If you are supplementing any feed with bovatech in it has a plus on reproduction. Do a search on bovatech first calf heifers supplemented with anything with bovatechwill breed back in 35 days we have witnessed this, We use tubs with the bovatech in itt.[/quote]

Who is the manafacturer of the bovatech tubs?

Lots of folks think Bovatec (Lasalosid sodium) is a growth harmone. It's actually a coccidiastat but also increases feed utilization thus faster growth. In adult cattle better feed utilization means higher digestibility, more energy and oftentime increased fertility. Haven't checked to see if any trials have been done with Rumensin but theoretically you should get the same results with it if not better. Personally I prefer Rumensin but Bovatec is more forgiving.

Phil in Tupelo":224ssjic said:
My dad always said " Its easier to keep a cow up than to get a cow up." Then he would tell me to put out another bucket of corn. I don't think anyone likes downer's, so it works for me. Beside a little feed keeps them running to the barn every time they see someone as opposed to going to the back 40 when someone comes up.

I agree - a bit of grain works wonders in taming the herd and have them coming to you and the corral. It makes working with them a lot more enjoyable as well as keeping them in condition.

George Monk":3u8b07vl said:
I suppose there are many people that invest the money into loafing sheds or better cover. I can't do that now bu may some day. Right now a good cedar grove has to suffice.
I don;t think that this is so. Our winters are very harsh, and we do not have a big loafing shed. They have access to the east end of the pole shed only ~ year round. Rarely do they go in there, only in the very hottest part of the very hottest days. That section has gates so cattle can be divided or penned if necessary. We only use gates to hold for vet or the hauler. If we get new cattle, they are penned in there for a couple of days to calm down and get a feel for the place. It allows them to see our cattle without being out with them. Is a good place if a cow needs to be treated or cow/calf need to be kept together. All you need are a couple sound pens, the cedar grove should be fine. Maybe someone else has a different opinion....?

We have had some really crazy weather the last week. High's in the 60's, rain, snow, lows in the teens. We had first calf heifer that calved in the late evening under some cedars. I threw down a bale of straw and the calf was fine. Did really well. i am in the process of converting an old farrowing house to an opened front shed with a couple of small catch pens that I can hold expecting mommas. They don't need a lot just a spot to get out of the rain and wind.