Cows Names ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice":3etqv98o said:
dun":3etqv98o said:
The first time my wife was here when we loaded the calves to send to the backrounder she got a little puddly. Since then she's helped with the feeding them twice a day and doesn;t miss the older claves at all when the "finally" leave. By then they're just big and hungry, not the cute little calves she watched playing in the pasture.

By then they're just big and hungry, not the cute little calves she watched playing in the pasture

To me, that's what makes the difference...well, except for Batman. He's trained a lot of calves to eat, and he's calmed a lot of them down...and he's here for the duration.

But, like Dun said, when the cute wears off, it's a different story.

Alice

Yeah, like when they take their little scurs and run them along the side of the truck. Or your leg. Then you know it's time to go. Not so cute anymore.

The husband does not name any of the cows or bulls. He goes by their tag number. And some of the names he calls a couple of them I can't write on this board. lol I name everything.
Cow names:Mercedes,Dolly,Limpy, Georgia, Isabella,Mudpie,Hannah,Jessica,Olivia,Stormie,Lucille,Brandi,
Zelda,
Some of the new heifers : Mozell,Dera,Nia,Ona,Sisay,Malu Maya,Renata,Cleo,Connie,Ioke,Cricket,Mahala,Marki
Sale barn heifers: Checkers,Bindi,Alessa,Lydia,Sparks,Hawkeye,
Nadine,CoCo Chenel,Paloma,Darcie
Some of the heifers born this year : Miss Alice,Amosa, Mirabella
Crystal,Mercedes 07,Lanissa,Laura Jo,
My herd bull is Moses and the other bulls I have are Mr.Attitude,Rebel Jack and Eli.
Thats not all of them ,but thats the ones that come to mind.

The grand kids name then as soon as they hit the straw...we just provide the letter of the year (started over this year).
Herd book doesn't care if it is a name or number.
DMc

Almost all our commercial cows all go by number but they all know their numbers, even our boss cow is just 51. However, we have a few named commercials:
Princess: was an orphan
Cowntess: her adopting sister
Ballerina - She did a nice little pirouette and leaped out of a six foot corral as a calf and stayed.
Chocolate Eater - If you have a chocolate cake in your hands you have to watch out, she is obsessed.
The steers for the freezer are "Mr. Steer".

The purebreds all have names and we call them by their registered name. The bull is called by his registered name unless I get ticked at him and then he is bull.
Some of my favourite names that we have named the heifers are - Prima Donna (dam is Diva). Miss Charisma, Lady Scarlett. The rest are just pretty much girls names. We had a preemie this year that we named Eliza Doolittle hoping that by the fall she would grow into being Elizabeth.;)

We have a show Maine that's named Natasha and a show Shorty that's named Jewel. Our new bull's name is Conan, oh, the new show heifer we traded for this year her name is Sally Mae. The rest are related to by their eartag except for this steer we have and he's just "the steer".

We have names for a few, mostly the show calves and registered. Next year is U names, I'll have to get the dictionary out.

Names: Favorite (real name is Ruby) and her calf Baby Favorite (registered name is Ruby Tuesday)
Tristan, Tye, Trey, Tasha, Tyler - all new calves named after one family and a cousin
Reba, Ardy, Big Mama, Jughead (and she is), Spirit, Mac, Laurel and Hardy, Sandy Jane, Sloane, Rivera, Cherry and Terri, Felina,
Our freezer meat has been heifers that don't breed and they were Steaks and Blue Roan.

All of our cows have names because they're registered. But we call them by their ear tag number.

Our gomer bull is called "Red." The first one had quite a bit of red on his head and neck, so we called him "Red." Later ones didn't have that much red on them, but we called them "Red" anyway. The vet calls them "Romeo" but that just doesn't seem to fit.

Puff (bought her momma as a 3n1 and she was the calf, white as a puff of smoke)
Maggie (momma to above)
Beauty
Char (charolais)
Goldie
Buffy
Candy
Dusty
Annie (was a bottle calf - Little Orphan Annie)
Dawn & Cinnamon (daughters of Goldie)
Sugar & Silky (daughters of Buffy)
BeBe (short for Black Brangus)
Miss Nosy (and yes she is!!)
Fancy (to me she's just a really nice char x limo cow)
Pet (hubby's cow that is 15 y/o, was a bottle calf who broke her leg and he nursed her back to health and the only one of his that he's named)
Bertha (an easy keeping big butted/gutted char x cow)
Effie (she looks like a hereford but I didn't want to call her herfie and hubby mispronounces it as "Iffie")
Marsha
Kathy

The rest of them go by their ear tag number.
The bulls always get named Curly (he's a galloway and has a curly haired face)
Tommy (which is short for his registered name MMS Taum Sauk Mountain), and then we're keeping 2 bull calves - Chester and Bucky.

IMG_0610.JPG

This is my Cookie cow

We have a long standing tradition of bulls that have come and gone on the family farm, named them all Jerry(current avatar),this started with my wifes grandfather still dont know why though.
The rest of the cows get named as they come in or are born.
we just kinda look and call em whatever comes to mind or we let the kids take turns naming them.
Alice
#11(eartag #)
Scar(from sale barn loading)
Ima(cow)
Minnie
Lucy
Shelby(6yr old daughter used her own name)
Kizzy
Smokey
Tippy(has white tip on tail)
Skunk (BLK bull x holstein cow)
Heidi (holstein milker)
and a very long line of (Freezer Bob's)
Alpo went to market as cull

Most of ours have names by the registration year letters but not all, and some just have numbers. Some of the cow names are: red, big red, little red, kinda red, granny, hateful, witch woman, silver, and tar baby. Some of the recent replacement names are: pearl, poppy, ruby, retha, rose, rachel, saphire, tess, tillie, and topaz. Fair prospect steers for one of the grandsons are: t-bone, thunder, thor, and thomas the train. Herd bulls have been wildman, ull the bull (named by a grandson), brutus, m-5, red max, and right on, who was traded last weekend for superman. One replacement was named porsche but thought her name was 'her' - watch 'her', lookout for 'her', don't turn your back on 'her', stay away from 'her', at last we caught 'her', and finally, we got rid of 'her'. And after selling 'her' and 'her' calf, it only cost me about $400 to own 'her' for that year! :) :( :mad: Oh well, wish that was the only time I messed up!

I have some with a name...

Twinkie - Pinz, lead dog, er cow
Herf - Herford

Our bull is "Junior"

The rest have #'s and are called by such

If the kids pick out a calf they tend to give them a name, only not every kid calls a calf by the same name :roll:

Our freezer beef this year was named "Cupcake", go figure?? Kids again!

Michele

My kids, 6 and 8, name our calves. Its pretty funny with the names they come up with.

We've got:

French Fry
Ice Cream
Socks
Smokey
Curley
Crazy
Sno Ball
Flower
Bunny
Firecracker
Booster

3waycross":24f4toiq said:
IMG_0610.JPG

This is my Cookie cow

I like that Cookie name, might just have to use that one:)

Lucy
DeDe
Harley
Shelby
Dolly
Birdie
Maybelle
Belle
Penny
YellowGirl
Rudy

donna

Small herd so they all have names. Had a calf born on Easter, so that's her name. Otherwise we name in order of the alphabet on the heifer calves. Steers are Supper and Dinner.

Latest posts