Cows Names ?

Help Support CattleToday:

arkcowman

Reaction score
I know we're not suppose to name our girls when we are running a business and eventually "eating" our profits but it seems many of you have cute names for some of your favorite cows.

What are some of your favorite cows names ?

My best performer is Grace
My inquisitive busy body is Tinkles
My sweetist cow is Buckwheat
My wife's favorite is Pickles (her last calf we named Baby Dill)

My bull is Big Mike

At the beginning I warned my wife to avoid naming the livestock. She began addressing several by their ear tag numbers (174 was her favorite). I threatened to have all the freezer packages labeled 174 if she kept it up.
We have both mellowed a bit and use generic descriptive names sometimes. Our first registered red angus cow calf pair are "Big Red Mama" and "Red Bull". All the others are numbers only.
Still best to keep it to numbers. Helps to avoid having freezer packages labeled: "Big Red Mama" rump roast.........

Jon

i name my show calves of corse. its hard not to get close to them. i dont have this years calves rounded up yet but as soon as i do i'll have some names.

last years are: Molly, Big Black, Dottie, Elnora, Doc and Benjamin.

Most have names. It helps when we are discussing them between one another as to which one calved etc. I named one.

All bulls are called Bully. That's my doing. Just the way it was all my life as a kid and now with my own.

Some names change. It all depends on who named them and who else named them. I don't much care. I used to say "The brindle cow" and now they call her that. The red cow is called "Red". Others are Big 'Un, Ugly, Sweet Pea, LT (Long Tongue), Split Pea, Star, Lil Bit etc. Who knows? I usually describe them by color or something until someone else calls them a name or number. Some names are not worth repeating :lol: and sometimes I refer to all of them as such. So long as we know which cow we are referring to during cut up and discussion, it really doesn't matter.

There is always a steer named Rib Eye or T-Bone and generally it is the one picked out for out freezer. Others are "Ugly's steer" etc.

You bring home ten and turn them before most get names. Perhaps a couple get names once you keep them. Or they could be referred to as "the big brangus I picked up at the Meridian auction...." and they never get a name.

ACM,
coarse all of the cows are not named. .But some of the favorits are.... I do this farmin thang full time, while the bride has a day job. She says,, have you notist that "Crazy" or "Little Red" or "Sister" is comming "in". Some of the favorite white face, and some of the Long Horn are named.. The freezer beef are named "T-Bone" "Sirloin" "Cheezburger"ECT...ECT...

D.R.

My favorite is a black baldie named Cookie,her daughter is Honey,the rest are just numbers.

When I bought Cookie her former owner made me promise not to ever take her to the salebarn, said she would buy her back if she had to go. I thought that was a great deal until she(cookie) walked up and liked my face and stuck her head under my arm. She sure as heck ain't gettin her back now. So much for salvage value.

Mine all have the farm name and a number. But I have names for all of them. When I first started, I would name them for family members, but that got a little morbid. Now I call things describing them, like sweet face, good mama, brown cow..I have a honey and cookie, too.

We had one we called psycho-cow. She didn't last long.

Bulls names are Winston, Cutbait, Stinkbait, LT, and Hercules. Do have a cow named Bertha and another named Lucifer. (Yeah, Lucifer is the Brangus from He!1 but she sure is a fine mamma.)

Bull's name is Lightning. He looks slow at a solid ton but can move like greased lightning when he wants (rare occurance).

Most are numbers but a few favorites are

Ellie, Nellie and Bellie (three identical red angus cows named after the three stooges girlfriends)
Clopsy (baldy with one dark eye....short for cyclops)
Mopsy (Black Limi heifer with a hair style that stics up like a mop)

Batman---a steer that's staying here until he does something really, really bad. :lol:

Samson
Brutus
Delilah
Orange calf
Baby
Daisy
Bald Eagle

Alice (oh, that's me) :)

My wife has named a few but is not too creative,.....
Horny (has horns)
Blindy (blind in one eye)
Baby (bottle fed, 3 yr old now)
Reddy (pure red)
Knot Head
Big Mama

The rest are numbers as there are too many to name. Not afraid to name them or get attached. When it is time to butcher or cull, we just do what we need to do.

arkcowman":2wnzcfca said:
What are some of your favorite cows names ?

They generally were 'named' according to their tag, although a select few were 'named' according to their dispositions - and it wasn't usually flattering for them. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Topaz, Hollywood, Lady, Ricky, Playmate, Generator, Ashley, Belle, etc. I'm at work and can't remember the rest of them. If I didn't have any show animals, the names would certainly be less!

for registered animals, you have to figure out a name.
For the first few years, we picked flowers...all the way
from Azalea to Zinna. Then we started trying to name the
retained (registered) calves with a name that started with
the same letter as their mom, i.e. Bessie the cow had Beth
the heifer, etc. Her sister Bernice had Boomer the bull, etc.

Latest posts