Cows mooo with a twang

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Farmers: Cows mooo with a twang

Wednesday, August 23, 2006; Posted: 1:36 p.m. EDT (17:36 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Cows have regional accents, a group of British farmers claims, and phonetics experts say the idea is not as far-fetched as it sounds.

Lloyd Green, from southwest England, was one of a group of farmers who first noticed the phenomenon.

"I spend a lot of time with my Friesians and they definitely 'moo' with a Somerset drawl," he said, referring to the breed of dairy cow he owns.

"I've spoken to the other farmers in the West Country group and they have noticed a similar development in their own herds.

"I think it works the same as with dogs - the closer a farmer's bond is with his animals, the easier it is for them to pick up his accent."

Dom Lane, spokesman for a group called the West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers to which Green belongs, said it contacted John Wells, Professor of Phonetics at University College London, who said that a similar phenomenon had been found in birds.

"You find distinct chirping accents in the same species around the country. This could also be true of cows," Wells said on the group's Web site.

According to Lane, accents among cows probably develop in a similar way as among humans, and resulted from spending time with farmers with differing accents.

"Apparently the biggest influence on accents is peer groups -- on children in the playground, for example," he said. "Herds are quite tight-knit communities and don't tend to leave the area."

He added that more scientific research was needed to prove what was just an anecdotal theory at this stage.

Aaron":3k0srytw said:
Farmers: Cows mooo with a twang

Wednesday, August 23, 2006; Posted: 1:36 p.m. EDT (17:36 GMT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Cows have regional accents, a group of British farmers claims, and phonetics experts say the idea is not as far-fetched as it sounds.

Lloyd Green, from southwest England, was one of a group of farmers who first noticed the phenomenon.

"I spend a lot of time with my Friesians and they definitely 'moo' with a Somerset drawl," he said, referring to the breed of dairy cow he owns.

"I've spoken to the other farmers in the West Country group and they have noticed a similar development in their own herds.

"I think it works the same as with dogs - the closer a farmer's bond is with his animals, the easier it is for them to pick up his accent."

Dom Lane, spokesman for a group called the West Country Farmhouse Cheesemakers to which Green belongs, said it contacted John Wells, Professor of Phonetics at University College London, who said that a similar phenomenon had been found in birds.

"You find distinct chirping accents in the same species around the country. This could also be true of cows," Wells said on the group's Web site.

According to Lane, accents among cows probably develop in a similar way as among humans, and resulted from spending time with farmers with differing accents.

"Apparently the biggest influence on accents is peer groups -- on children in the playground, for example," he said. "Herds are quite tight-knit communities and don't tend to leave the area."

He added that more scientific research was needed to prove what was just an anecdotal theory at this stage.

Us farmers aren't real famous for talking a lot. But, we are famous for really droll humor. Ya think this guy might be having some fun with the college professors?

"More research was Needed"! What? To prove or disprove that cows have accents! Grant denied!

milesvb":3x7gypht said:
Aaron":3x7gypht said:

...and will probably be funded by our tax dollars of course. :x

We caught a break on this one, Miles - it's in England! :D Give it a little time, though, ........ :(

you beat me to it I was just about to post this, Udderly rediculas findings.
What will they find next to waste good money on, we pay enough Tax here now and don't need this added. the money would be best spent in the education of Children and National Health Departments. Stupid things like this makes me so :mad: and these are supposed to be Educated men. (bar Humbug)MOOoooooooo, Mooooooooo, MOoooooo, I have tried it out in a few ways but moo just comes out as moo. it's total udder confusion. :cboy: I'll heifer go off and try it some other ways.
I think these farmers have been on the Cider and it has gone to the brain, to much scrummpy, the West Coast is known for its fair share of noodles, (slang. Idiots) sorry this leaves me crying with laughter, you Farmers must think we English are a bunch of well....need I say more, with this sort of thing going on.
a London moo for now. :roll: or a West Country maaw. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :hat:

one thing I forgot to ask? now the tears have subsided...Do ya'lls cows have a Southern moo'ooo, and the TNN ones have that certain distingtive twang. if so I want one :oops: :lol2: ;-)

this site is great http://www.cortland.edu/flteach/methods/obj2/moo2.html

hope it works. sorry but this has tickled me, must mooosie off or I'll turn more into a Cow than I already am. (not).

The corriente bull that got into our pasture stayed too long...I've noticed a definite Latin influence in our cows mooing. But then, why not...need to have something bilingual around here.

Alice

dun":7yycttdd said:
I thought those southern cows said "Maaaaaam"

dun

very amoozing dun, but when ya try to say 'Maaaaaam' It does sound more like a sheep, would it not best be 'Mooaam' :oops: :lol: or have I missed something.

chrisy":35q5r7rx said:
dun":35q5r7rx said:

dun

very amoozing dun, but when ya try to say 'Maaaaaam' It does sound more like a sheep, would it not best be 'Mooaam' :oops: :lol: or have I missed something.

Sheep would be Baaaaaaaaaaaam

dun

dun":239q9fe4 said:
chrisy":239q9fe4 said:
dun":239q9fe4 said:

dun

Sheep would be Baaaaaaaaaaaam

dun

OK OK you win but still amoozing :roll: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts