Cows Limping

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
Had a cow develop a very slight limp, figured she probably just stobbed(sp) it. Two days later, another started limping. Now I'm getting paranoid. Cattle are on Right Now mineral program so I figure it can't be grass tetany, but as I said, I'm getting paranoid. Next day a third came up lame. Can't be grass tetany or they would already be dead. We've got mud everywhere and I couldn't see anything in their feet. Neighbor built his little girl an awesome 8' x 8' fake pine log playhouse right in the back corner of his yard where it joins our field two weeks ago. I'm sure it's just coincidence and there is no connection, but the vet removed 1" roofing nails from all three of them and $100 from my wallet. As I said, I'm sure there is no connection, but we will be dragging a magnet over that area!

hummm....don't ya just love neighbors :roll:
make sure you are really careful and have a powerful magnet

(don't miss any - tires are expensive too!)

cowboyup216":31egt4ea said:
ITs called foot rot.

don't want to cause a fight but - go back and reread the original post - the vet removed 1" nails from the cows feet - I'd limp if I had a nail in my foot too ;-)

fit2btied":1b9v06ol said:
Had a cow develop a very slight limp, figured she probably just stobbed(sp) it. Two days later, another started limping. Now I'm getting paranoid. Cattle are on Right Now mineral program so I figure it can't be grass tetany, but as I said, I'm getting paranoid. Next day a third came up lame. Can't be grass tetany or they would already be dead. We've got mud everywhere and I couldn't see anything in their feet. Neighbor built his little girl an awesome 8' x 8' fake pine log playhouse right in the back corner of his yard where it joins our field two weeks ago. I'm sure it's just coincidence and there is no connection, but the vet removed 1" roofing nails from all three of them and $100 from my wallet. As I said, I'm sure there is no connection, but we will be dragging a magnet over that area!

The money should not have come from your wallet.
Return the nails to their rightful owner along with the bill.

i would sure watch them neighbors, who knows they may have thrown the nails over intentionally, maybe not, either way I would watch them for future problems.

GMN

cowboyup216":3ftuvh5k said:
ITs called foot rot. Are the ankles swelled up? Get them out of the muck, Give the ones that are limping 5 cc each of banamine and la 200, naxcel, or excenel(Same as naxcel) the banamine will help the swelling go down in the ankle and relieve the pain. Try and keep the ones that have it confined to a small area so they dont have to walk on it so much. I recommended naxcel aka excenel over la-200 because I have always had to retreat foot rot with LA and never had to with excenel. IF they are walking around in mud that nail probably cut their hoove and they got foot rot from it.

Can you tell me more about treating footrot,my steer has it and I've been trying to get a needle in him with no luck.(no head gate advailable)Is there and oral antibiotic I can give him or something in his feed?He's a pet and poor guy is in alot of pain. :(

bunyanbaby":3s01cf4o said:
cowboyup216":3s01cf4o said:
ITs called foot rot. Are the ankles swelled up? Get them out of the muck, Give the ones that are limping 5 cc each of banamine and la 200, naxcel, or excenel(Same as naxcel) the banamine will help the swelling go down in the ankle and relieve the pain. Try and keep the ones that have it confined to a small area so they dont have to walk on it so much. I recommended naxcel aka excenel over la-200 because I have always had to retreat foot rot with LA and never had to with excenel. IF they are walking around in mud that nail probably cut their hoove and they got foot rot from it.

Can you tell me more about treating footrot,my steer has it and I've been trying to get a needle in him with no luck.(no head gate advailable)Is there and oral antibiotic I can give him or something in his feed?He's a pet and poor guy is in alot of pain. :(

Either get him to a vet, or bring a vet to him. If you haven't got a head gate, a strong panel pressing him up against the fence will create a make-shift chute that is often adequate. If he's a pet it shouldn't be that hard because you don't have the added difficulty of a crazy, wild animal.

Latest posts