cows limping

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Past couple weeks have had 2 cows start to limp out of the blue. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I read of some solution the foot could be soaked in, does anyone remember what it was?

I'm thinking the mud had alot to do with these 2 cows problems, any other thoughts, they are holstein dairy cows.

Gail

sounds like foot rot OR the suction from the mud. LA200 should help footrot, otherwise dry footing and rest could do wonders.

GMN":3rhu3tvl said:
Past couple weeks have had 2 cows start to limp out of the blue. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I read of some solution the foot could be soaked in, does anyone remember what it was?

I'm thinking the mud had alot to do with these 2 cows problems, any other thoughts, they are holstein dairy cows.

Gail

Start feeding idone lots of info on this use your search engine, if it is foot rot need to start on antibiotics. Another old trick is put a 10% clorox soultion in water in a pump up sprayer and spray there feet down helps kill the fungus. Also move them to dry ground if you have it.

Copper sulfate foot bath.

Word of warning - if your pens are already muddy, daily dumping and filling footbaths will make it into a swamp -- unless the footbaths are inside and dumped inside the milking barn.

One of the cows ankle is swelled up, the other isn't. One I think I wll give La-200, the other I think Excenel, and I'll try the chlorox soln on both.

Thanks for the replies
Gail

GMN":17jr5lba said:
One of the cows ankle is swelled up, the other isn't. One I think I wll give La-200, the other I think Excenel, and I'll try the chlorox soln on both.

Thanks for the replies
Gail

Fo footrot in older animals we've gone to Excenel vs LA200. Don't need as much so the cow doesn;t look like pin cushion. Give it at the highest dose per cwt.

dun

dun":1lr4k2hz said:
GMN":1lr4k2hz said:

Thanks for the replies
Gail

For footrot in older animals we've gone to Excenel vs LA200. Don't need as much so the cow doesn;t look like pin cushion. Give it at the highest dose per cwt.

dun

And, if it doesn't work, you have a much shorter withdrawal time so you can get rid of the cow before she starts looking like a broken down heap of bones. Some of those footrot cases take an animal down pretty quickly.

The one animal, here is my dilemma. She wasn't bred in Feb, when the Vet checked, should have been, he said wasn't anything wrong she was cycling, I haven't seen her with the bull since, she dried herself up over this foot problem, so we moved her to another dry spot, where she has lost weight, looks like hell, so I'm thinking cut my losses take her to the packing pack before something else goes wrong--what do you all think?

If I give her any drugs, it will be meat withdrawal time, and then who knows if it will even work. hate cows like these.

GMN

GMN, I think I would give her antibiotics, a magnet wouldn't hurt, could be hardware. I would not sell her if she appears sick. Wait the withdrawal time, if she pulls out of it she will bring a good price. If you sell her now she'll bring maybe 5 or 10 $ and your name will be on a sick cow. Good Luck.

mnmt

well its not blackleg or they would have died by now. I had a bull who slipped on some ice and limped all summer and then stopped. Interesting thing is I hear that his brother was also limping through the same summer. Last year I had a calf that kept limping but got better. I figured that it couldn't have been too bad or the dogs wouldn't be able to chase it so far.

Latest posts