Cows in sync.

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have been reading several posts lately about trying to have cattle in sync and how to get them in sync. My question to whoever answers is cattle being in sync a big deal for you? I could care less as long as I get a calf a year. My cattle started calving feb some are due this month april may and june then some nov and dec I don't mind that at all.

skyhightree1":12spe6q9 said:
I have been reading several posts lately about trying to have cattle in sync and how to get them in sync. My question to whoever answers is cattle being in sync a big deal for you? I could care less as long as I get a calf a year. My cattle started calving feb some are due this month april may and june then some nov and dec I don't mind that at all.

It might help in some areas with marketing, but not my area. I just try not have any in the dead of winter (which came late this year). Other than that, I'm just happy with a live calf once a year. Makes good record keeping a necessity though. I see people that calve year round, and never realize if a cow is going long between calves.

Bigfoot":3hewh3xp said:
skyhightree1":3hewh3xp said:

It might help in some areas with marketing, but not my area. I just try not have any in the dead of winter (which came late this year). Other than that, I'm just happy with a live calf once a year. Makes good record keeping a necessity though. I see people that calve year round, and never realize if a cow is going long between calves.

Yes sir gotta keep good records.. I check off as soon as one has a calf then go back and look. I had a nice sync going but I put 2 bulls together and didnt find till later that they fought more than they bred and really messed up the lil bit of sync I had going. Oh well as you said it doesn't help in marketing in my area either. I don't want any calves in the dead of winter myself but had a couple.

I have a defined calving season for several reasons.

1. I hire a guy to help me with castrating and vaccinating calves. I like only having to do that once a year.
2. I rarely take any heifers to the auction barn. I wean them, get them their vaccinations, etc., then sell some to individuals and grow out the rest. I like to only have to wean them once, and only make one trip to the vet to get them their shots, branding, etc.

This works well for me. Everyone's situation is different.

Well Skyhigh, I want to be done calving with in a 60 day period I want my calves all about the same size and where I'am at we have 4 seasons of weather , I also want a set calving season, also a set breeding season I don't want to be worrying about a cow calving while I'am trying to get crops planted and hay put up.But this is JMO

I like the cash flow of having some calves to sell through out the year as well.

retro":1v4be7la said:
Well Skyhigh, I want to be done calving with in a 60 day period I want my calves all about the same size and where I'am at we have 4 seasons of weather , I also want a set calving season, also a set breeding season I don't want to be worrying about a cow calving while I'am trying to get crops planted and hay put up.But this is JMO

I understand retro. I don't do anything any different with my cattle I visit them twice a day whether im fooling with crops or haying thats a 365 day a year deal with me and I don't worry about them too much.

Bigfoot":1v4be7la said:
I like the cash flow of having some calves to sell through out the year as well.

I agree

Grandpa always said, there is no such thing as breeding season. Any day is a good day to have a new calf

My grass is dry from late May(in a good year, late March this year :bang: ) up through early November. I have to keep everything on schedule or it's a train wreck. I want my calves all born within sixty days so that I can feed expecting and new moms without feeding cows that don't need the help.

I check my cows once a day everyday they are on grass , but I don't want the worries when i'am in the field of stopping to go recheck a cow calving and then worry if and when did she get re bred. plus we run a purebred herd I can't sell seed stock that has a birth date after March nobody wants them. I'am not say I'am right and everybody else is wrong just replying to your question is all

It just works out better for my routine to have them in sync. My primary job is tobacco farming, for them calve in march and april. I have more time to check and see after them like I should. We transplant all of may and half of june. When we get done with that we work and casterate them. When we finsh cutting late September early October we work and wean them. I just don't have the time to do some of this and that all spring and summer. I also have to feed less hay in winter with the calfs gone. I have more pasture than hay. Not knocking anyone this just works best for me.

Though about it years ago, but after years of pulling bulls, your cows will calve a week and a half early to a week and a half late. What's the point in wasting time and money syncing them unless you wish to AI them all at once and be done with it. if people ar doing it to shorten or tighten their calving season, I don't believe it will tighten or shorten you calving season at all. Pull your bulls, then it will shorten the season.

Before I go on a rant let me state I run a bull year round myself. But we've been thinking about a having a distinguished breeding season. The benefits out weigh the negatives.
Some of the negatives.
1. Book and record keeping.
2. You only need to palpate the herd once.
3. Looking for and expecting calves year round stinks. Even though the weather is unpredictable.
4. You can't put a load together, and having multiple trips to the sale barn is expensive and time consuming.
5. Herd management this is a biggie. Dry cows and wet cows require different feeds and needs.
6. Working calves year round stinks.
7. And working cows year round stinks. Some vaccines are not compatible to use on heavy bred cows, and some don't work on open or short bred cows.
8. It takes more time and cost more.
And the list goes on and on if you really think about it.
So to me, to have calves year round to sell. And maybe get a cow bred a little quicker are the only benefits I see, to year round breeding. So you can think whatever you want and manage your herd however you want. But the bottom line is, year round breeding season is not the way to manage your cows or your time.

highgrit":3djx56ip said:
Before I go on a rant let me state I run a bull year round myself. But we've been thinking about a having a distinguished breeding season. The benefits out weigh the negatives.
Some of the negatives.
1. Book and record keeping. how hard is it to write down the date
2. You only need to palpate the herd once. something a book says you MUST do? It's something I MIGHT do if she's gone 14 or more months without calving and I really don't want to sell her. But the easiest time and way to do that is at the salebarn. Gives me a better understanding if I made the right choice.
3. Looking for and expecting calves year round stinks. Even though the weather is unpredictable. Christmas comes more often
4. You can't put a load together, and having multiple trips to the sale barn is expensive and time consuming. sale barn is 5 miles away...and gives you a chance to "work" your calves
5. Herd management this is a biggie. Dry cows and wet cows require different feeds and needs. around here, not really
6. Working calves year round stinks. working calves stinks.....
7. And working cows year round stinks. dont' have to work em year round. Twice a year works fine for some. Some vaccines are not compatible to use on heavy bred cows, and some don't work on open or short bred cows. now that is a scary thought of having that many bugs to contend with
And the list goes on and on if you really think about it. if I had a different size of herd (much smaller) and lived in a very different climate, my personal preference would probably be different. Speaking of time...HAVING to check calving cows every two hours.....my opinion, I think that can be fixed.
8. It takes more time and cost more. I'm going to check em at least once a week anyway... hopfully...cost more? Have you been watching what a lot of folks do to keep their cows in top condition. Get that last half pound of gain? Cost more?
So to me, to have calves year round to sell. And maybe get a cow bred a little quicker are the only benefits I see, to year round breeding. So you can think whatever you want and manage your herd however you want. can't help but agree with that But the bottom line is, year round breeding season is not the way to manage your cows or your time. more coolaid please.....

This was FUN..... :D

Makes it tougher to keep heifers when you calve year round. I would actually rather keep a fall born heifer than a spring born heifer. I come more near being able to breed them in the spring.

I could switch easily to all spring calving, it would be at the cost of half of my cows going 6 months open. I'm personally not willing to let that many dollars slip thru my fingers.

1982vett":1v86ovso said:
highgrit":1v86ovso said:
Some of the negatives.
1. Book and record keeping. how hard is it to write down the date not hard to write down a date but, not having to watch and see if she was bred saves time
2. You only need to palpate the herd once. something a book says you MUST do? It's something I MIGHT do if she's gone 14 or more months without calving and I really don't want to sell her. But the easiest time and way to do that is at the salebarn. Gives me a better understanding if I made the right choice. Going to learn to do this myself
3. Looking for and expecting calves year round stinks. Even though the weather is unpredictable. Christmas comes more oftenyes I like the paydays but as we progress in management, we need to look at making things more efficient , by having a group you can evaluate the cow even more
4. You can't put a load together, and having multiple trips to the sale barn is expensive and time consuming. sale barn is 5 miles away...and gives you a chance to "work" your calves my sale barns are 30+ miles
5. Herd management this is a biggie. Dry cows and wet cows require different feeds and needs. around here, not really they do have different needs most just don't worry about it
6. Working calves year round stinks. working calves stinks.....yes I concur
7. And working cows year round stinks. dont' have to work em year round. Twice a year works fine for some. Twice a year here Some vaccines are not compatible to use on heavy bred cows, and some don't work on open or short bred cows. now that is a scary thought of having that many bugs to contend with HG talk to your vet
And the list goes on and on if you really think about it. if I had a different size of herd (much smaller) and lived in a very different climate, my personal preference would probably be different. Speaking of time...HAVING to check calving cows every two hours.....my opinion, I think that can be fixed.
8. It takes more time and cost more. I'm going to check em at least once a week anyway... hopfully...cost more? Have you been watching what a lot of folks do to keep their cows in top condition. Get that last half pound of gain? Cost more?
So to me, to have calves year round to sell. And maybe get a cow bred a little quicker are the only benefits I see, to year round breeding. So you can think whatever you want and manage your herd however you want. can't help but agree with that But the bottom line is, year round breeding season is not the way to manage your cows or your time. more coolaid please.....
I saw HG cows last weekend and he has a fine bunch of cows all were in excellent condition IMO. he did have calves that ranged in ages and if he wants to tighten his window it makes sense. he has a fairly tight group of heifers. vette your points are valid but your avatar shows your in a desert. How would you manage cows when they can get their feet wet

This was FUN..... :D

highgrit":2lks0q5f said:
I could do a rebuttal, but I want to keep things simple. :D
I think you said it well highgrit... I'am glad you took the time to point out those issues but I think this will be the out come :deadhorse: From some of the replies i just did this :bang: I commend your efforts though. I personally don't know how you could go out and look at a cow herd with calves in there from 100 lbs to 700 lbs. not knowing what cow is doing what. :hide: I would feel sorry for the bulls they would need a set of blue prints to know what to do and who to vist :help: :help: Looks Like a big mess to me JMO though

retro":36q3jn2j said:
I personally don't know how you could go out and look at a cow herd with calves in there from 100 lbs to 700 lbs. not knowing what cow is doing what. :hide: I would feel sorry for the bulls they would need a set of blue prints to know what to do and who to vist :help: :help: Looks Like a big mess to me JMO though

What constitutes not knowing what a cow is doing? If you have a good bull he knows who to visit. A big mess to me is waiting to sync everyone and missing out on calves to sell while the market is up.

Oh yea one more thing retro for someone so detail oriented why do you not have your location listed? Did you overlook that little detail? I guess if you miss something like that yea you do need in sync cattle. :tiphat:

Like I stated that is (Just my Opinion ) skyhightree , If it makes you feel better I'am from SW Wi. Where here today the weather is 30 dgs and a ice storm, Where I'am in the office in the calving barn with a group of 12 Moma cows that are AI'd to calve on 3/23/15, I'am not worried about (IS there a cow gonna calve in the lot ) or is my ( bull going to slip on the ice covered lot and break a leg trying to bred a cow) this is the 3rd group for cows that I have put though the calving barn and have 3 more group to go. each group has 25 cows in it. Each group has their own feed program to meet their needs . Just in case you need me to connect the dots for you. ...I'am able to do all this though a sync. program. But I'am quite sure from reading your post you must have a much better way of doing things. Now if th at location is not detailed enough for you, Please let me know and I will give you the GPS coordinates Enjoy you year round calving season . It's not for me though. LOL

Latest posts