Cows coming back in heat after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I know horses have a foal heat about 7 days after foaling, is this time frame the same or close with cows and is this a good time to rebreed? Thanks.

Some will cycle within a couple of weeks of calving, most are a month or more post calving. I've bred them on that early heat and got conception but not very high percentage. Some missed a heat or two then came back in. Either the uterus wasn;t back in shape to maintain a pregnancy (my thought) or something else was going on. As a rule it's hard to move them up more then a month or so at a time.

dun

Thanks dun. I have these bred heifers, due to calf in a couple of weeks, in with some 16 month old heifers and a 2 year old bull. he's getting these young ones bred now and they should calf around March. Is it a good idea to just let the ones calving now stay with the herd and get bred when they come back in?

here's another thread on this subject
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12597
first calf heifers usually take longer to come back in than cows
If your cows are in good shape they will come back in 30-60 days. Some just take longer than others. My larger frame cows seem to take longer than the smaller frame cows. Even though all are the same breed. I try to breed the heifers around the first of Dec at 14 mo.s and then the cows after the first of the year. That gives the heifers 30 days more to come back in the next year.

dj":1zvvhp8o said:
here's another thread on this subject
http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12597
first calf heifers usually take longer to come back in than cows
If your cows are in good shape they will come back in 30-60 days. Some just take longer than others. My larger frame cows seem to take longer than the smaller frame cows. Even though all are the same breed. I try to breed the heifers around the first of Dec at 14 mo.s and then the cows after the first of the year. That gives the heifers 30 days more to come back in the next year.

I've read all of the studys that claim heifers come in later then cows, but in my experience they don;t. Some years there will be a few second calvers that are the first ones to calve but they're never the last ones to calve. Usually right in the middle along with the majority of the cows.

dun

rc":3smghp2y said:
Thanks dun. I have these bred heifers, due to calf in a couple of weeks, in with some 16 month old heifers and a 2 year old bull. he's getting these young ones bred now and they should calf around March. Is it a good idea to just let the ones calving now stay with the herd and get bred when they come back in?

If you want to move the ones that are due shortly to get moved up in their calving sequence why not leave them. If they cycle and settle they'll get moved up, if they don;t there's nothing lost.

dun

I ususally wait until 2 cycle after calving before exposing just to make sure everything is in place and going to function properly, presently I have one of my best cows that has a 10 month old heifer calf and as of 2 weeks ago she now has another heifer calf on her side. I knew the bull had gotten to her but I didn't expect it to take... I guess she doing what she was put here to do.

I Love Beefies":1nzjljnr said:
presently I have one of my best cows that has a 10 month old heifer calf and as of 2 weeks ago she now has another heifer calf on her side.

Please tell me you had the first calf weaned before the sencond one hit the ground :roll:

I Love Beefies":23308ua8 said:
I ususally wait until 2 cycle after calving before exposing just to make sure everything is in place and going to function properly, presently I have one of my best cows that has a 10 month old heifer calf and as of 2 weeks ago she now has another heifer calf on her side. I knew the bull had gotten to her but I didn't expect it to take... I guess she doing what she was put here to do.

Then there is the other extreme. The ones that won't breed back until the calf is removed.

Thanks agian dun. I think I will just leave them and try to get all on the same schedule. I hate that some are due to calf at this time of year in Mississippi but that's the way things went. Hopefully all will go well and they'll have a cooler time of it next go around. These are my first and I'm surely being an expectant one!

most cows will start cycling 30 days after calving. but thats if they are ready and some wait as long as 6 months for they get bred. the heat cycle is 21 to 28 days. a few cows will breed on their 1st heat. scott

i limit my breeding season to 60 days may 1st - july 1st. i had one cow, year before last calved feb 11th,first to calve, last year april 8th, last one, this year she calved feb 20th she used the whole 60 days. i start my heifers 2 weeks earlier.

My vets have always recommended giving the cow 45 days after calving before putting her with the bull. They said there is a greater chance of infection if they are bred earlier than that. The uterus needs time to flush out and the cervix needs time to close. A cow with a uterine infection will be a very late calving cow.

Latest posts