Cows can swim

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Real WELL :shock:

Moving cow/calves to pasture I got a couple pairs mixed up. I have a lake 1/4 mile wide separating pastures. Anyway didn't take long to notice a problem, cow on one side bellering at her calf on the other. It's happened before, I will corral the cow, bring her back. But first I got a couple more loads to haul. I was dropping of the second load and going after the cow. She is in the water and heading out. NO WAY she's not going to try it. She does and doesn't look back. I would have bet at that time I would have a drowned cow to haul out of the lake. A neighbor lady passing on the road to the East stops and watches, and commented later that she thought for sure some sort of monster. Black cow with only nose eyes and ears above water. She didn't miss a stroke, got up on the bank let her calf nurse, then started grazing.

That would have been something to see. So I will deduce that lakeside weaning is not a viable option. :lol:

cattleluvr18":1f2q9lsx said:
duh cattle can swim. havnt ya'll watch any western movies??

Yeah that's what my Wife said. But this was 1/4 mile of deep water.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1jl58sg4 said:
Arent people like the only things that have to be taught how to swim? Ive always heard that every animal can swim naturally, but people have to be taught.

That's what my daddy told me...and that's what I've always thought to be true...

Alice

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2ww4v5e2 said:
Arent people like the only things that have to be taught how to swim? Ive always heard that every animal can swim naturally, but people have to be taught.
not surprising...

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2ff0qkqq said:

Is that like only human animlas can blush, or have a need to?

dun

While doing some work on a local ranch I see the owners cattle swim out to graze some sort of aquatic plant that grows there. Once they started they go in dailey and eat it like candy. They have eaten eveything close in and are now floating around eating the stuff in deeper water. Looks like a bunch of black blimps floating around.

dun":9kyng132 said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":9kyng132 said:

Is that like only human animlas can blush, or have a need to?

dun

How can we tell if an animal is blushing? :oops: most are hairy. :shock:

As far as humans being taught to swim, Humans also don't have instincts, do we :?: Look at all the 8) instincts animals have. :help:

baby humans can swim - look at all of the infant swimming classes that they hold

it takes our brains to tell us that swimming isn't something that we can do without someone showing us how

You know the thing I love about how elephants swim? The way they use their trunk as a snorkel!

Thats really interesting and thought provoking. I'd never heard it before, but it kinda makes sense. But I had a pet duck once that couldn't swim to save his life.

As far as humans being taught to swim, Humans also don't have instincts, do we Look at all the instincts animals have.

Now, I don't know about that. I reckon I've got pretty good instincts, and they've got me out of a couple of tight spots, too.

But, yeah, of course cows can swim. Haven't you seen the old plunge dips? Absolute best way to dip animals. Pity they wont let us use them anymore.

Keren":2k5kfwbv said:
You know the thing I love about how elephants swim? The way they use their trunk as a snorkel!

Thats really interesting and thought provoking. I'd never heard it before, but it kinda makes sense. But I had a pet duck once that couldn't swim to save his life.

As far as humans being taught to swim, Humans also don't have instincts, do we Look at all the instincts animals have.

Now, I don't know about that. I reckon I've got pretty good instincts, and they've got me out of a couple of tight spots, too.

But, yeah, of course cows can swim. Haven't you seen the old plunge dips? Absolute best way to dip animals. Pity they wont let us use them anymore.

Yeah your right, but still those dip tanks weren't 1/4 mile wide. :shock: :D

Karen, that reminds me. I bought these ducks a while back a dozen. They were called Black Swedish. They positively could not swim, I'm not kidding, had a perfect little pond they sank like rocks. :shock: :roll: I had several drowned before I locked them up and they were adults. :oops:

Side note; Chickens can't swim.

Here's a pic of the route the cow took, straight across.

P1010035.jpg

Latest posts