Cows and cold weahter

Help Support CattleToday:

Goshamighty, I feel for you guys down south. No one should have to put up with those kind of temps. Here it's not bad. -15 here with 35 mph winds. My chart only goes to 28 mph, which equates to -47, so add on about 9-10 deg. lower. Had to get out a long sleeved shirt. Called my brother to come help do chores and even the phone was chattering so bad that it sounded like he was saying something about kissing something.

Ha ha, yup, No that we are freezing our a$$es off . Its beginning to drop here all the way down to 43 right now, strong north wind. Suppose to be 22 in the morning -1 windchill. The whole area will shut down if there were ice on the roads. people here can drive when it rains never mind ice & snow. :cowboy:

Jake":31rklc23 said:
If I can offer some advice on cold weather feeding. If your worried about helping to keep your cows home it is often better to feed some stemmy lower quality hay during the extreme cold as when this feed is being digested it puts off a lot more metabolic heat therefore keeping the cow warmer with a lot less energy. High quality hay or feed does little to keep the cow warm during extreme cold. The HQ feed will provide better nutritional energy for them to burn. It is often cheaper and more metabolicly friendly to the cow to feed the stemmy LQ hay.

This is true. They say you are best off giving them the supplement once the bad weather has passed (assuming it only lasts a few days). In extended cold we feed 2# roasted soybeans/head for the fat calories.

redcowsrule33":7z69hog6 said:
Jake":7z69hog6 said:
If I can offer some advice on cold weather feeding. If your worried about helping to keep your cows home it is often better to feed some stemmy lower quality hay during the extreme cold as when this feed is being digested it puts off a lot more metabolic heat therefore keeping the cow warmer with a lot less energy. High quality hay or feed does little to keep the cow warm during extreme cold. The HQ feed will provide better nutritional energy for them to burn. It is often cheaper and more metabolicly friendly to the cow to feed the stemmy LQ hay.

This is true. They say you are best off giving them the supplement once the bad weather has passed (assuming it only lasts a few days). In extended cold we feed 2# roasted soybeans/head for the fat calories.

Yep--When its cold- and I add more feed, I like to give them something like old CRP hay or straw....Don't have much straw this years so I've been feeding some pretty good grass/alfalfa mixture- and when it got bitterly cold I added in some wheat hay which helps them keep warm...

Latest posts