Cow not letting calf nurse on 2nd day

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
We have a new cow, new to us, who had a baby 2 days ago. This is her 2nd calf. She will be 4 in March. Did everything right until today. Did not notice her nurse her baby today so we brought into front lot. First day she did just fine. Cleaned, nursed and stayed by it. This evening baby looks great. Alert. Was laying down. Mom ate some feed and hay. Baby got up to nurse. Moms bag was really big but early in day we saw that front quarter had been nursed. Baby went for same quarter, mom kicked at her. Baby kept trying mom kept kicking and moving away. Would not let her nurse. It was getting dark. I was watching from shop. Well, mom then laid down!! So I hurried up and grabbed some feed and ran out there so she would get up. She did but baby did not try again. Just laid down. My husband is at work tonight. Won't be home till early morn. Will baby be ok till then??? We will have to put cow in chute. Would you milk cow some till she is relieved a little, let out and let baby try or would you let baby try to nurse while cow is in chute?? Mom also is limping on back right leg. I'm thinking sciatic nerve. How long before we should be concerned about that? Hoof looks ok. This is her second calf and we do not know how she behaved with her first baby. It is obvious that her bag is full and uncomfortable.. Her teets are not overly big. Baby latched on fine and tail would start to wag and she would jerk away or kick. Appreciate some advice!!
Thanks
Colleen

That behavior towards her calf might be the reason she was sold in the first place. The baby should be fine until tomorrow morning, but the calf might be a bit weak. If she won't let the calf nurse, she probably won't let you milk her. I would recommend getting the cow in a chute and hobbling the cow's hind legs in an effort to let the calf nurse.

if you're worried, perhaps give the calf something to drink with a bottle.. should still have colostrum but if you have a quart of milk in the fridge that would keep her good until the morning when you have more hands available... then yes, milk her a bit in the chute and try and get the calf on there while they still have the right insticts

If the cow continues to be a problem, put a pair of walking hobbles on her for a few days. She will be able to move, but not pick her foot up high enough to kick her calf. I bet she is sore, and it hurts for the calf to nurse. If the calf can get a good enough latch on, her milk should let down and relax her a bit. That is where the hobbles fit in, allows the calf to get a good latch without being kicked off.
Good luck!

Thank you! We are going to get her in chute in the morning and hopefully squeeze her before she lays down! I dread it. Do not want to bottle feed. But will if I have to. We will be selling her. I have never liked her since the day we got her. Snorts at me. I don't trust her! Hobbles are an option if necessary! I'm open to anything! It's laying in the barn right now and she is standing over it. Tomorrow it's supposed to start raining and get really cold again so I gotta figure it out! Thanks!

I would just put her in the chute let the calf get all it can hold do that several times a day unless the cow decides to let her nurse then whatever day your sale is take her over there and sale her should get good money for a pair I have had that happen with heifers before but usually they have it figured out by the 2nd calf

Well she let her nurse the first day. I think her bag is sore? We are going to see if something is wrong. I'm hoping it is nursing again by morning. Oh and she is going to be sold. LOL.

wacocowboy":15nt6vru said:
I would just put her in the chute let the calf get all it can hold do that several times a day unless the cow decides to let her nurse then whatever day your sale is take her over there and sale her should get good money for a pair I have had that happen with heifers before but usually they have it figured out by the 2nd calf
I can't say that is unethical because it is a salebarn but I couldn't do that. I would haul both of them to the sale and tale them to split them.

I am not going to sell her right away. I would never do that. I feel like she has a problem with her bag. But it was dark when I realized that she wasn't letting the baby nurse. Something is hurting her. But I am going to sell her in the near future just because I do not like her temperament.

Definitely check for mastitis.

The mastitis can also cause lameness - either she's walking awkward because she's trying to avoid touching the bag or because of the toxins from the infection.

In theory if only one quarter is affected she should be fine to let the calf suckle the others (though she may not have much milk while she's sick); and may be feeding the calf when you're not looking.
Anyway, I'd get her in, check the milk in all four quarters and feel for any heat/swelling; put the calf on her good side while she's in the chute if she's not going crazy about the whole deal and, depending what you find, decide whether you want to treat the mastitis or cut your losses on her and the calf.
If it's a treatable (relatively mild) infection I'd say within two days from start of treatment she should be in a lot less pain.

First thing this morning: calf running around tail straight up, mom grunting at it. One side definitely been sucked. Side that she was limping on, not sucked. She isn't limping this morning but her front quarter is big(not sucked) but not unnaturally large for a cow that has just had a calf. the front teat has a black scab? on it. Looks like tar. The teat and the quarter Is not red. Slightly pink. I sprayed some salty warm water on it thru the back door of the shop while she ate some feed for a good while, hoping it was just sheet. LOL. She seemed to enjoy it. Then she walked off. Still not limping. We really do not want to put her in the chute if we don't have to, since the calf is definitely nursing. She is so dang ornery. If it was one of our gentler cows, I would, but I'm thinking, one more day. If it looks worse tomorrow then we will chute her up and get that scab off and milk that quarter. Maybe the calf will get on it and get that scab off and get it going! One can hope!

Wouldn't the baby have had to suck on that teat to make that scab up?? It goes up on the side also.
Thanks.

Everything sounds to me to be fine. It's not uncommon for a calf to work on one or one side till it gets a little older. The cows know when they've had enough, maybe that's why she was kicking it away. I had a cow that would have huge front tits but the rear ones were fine. Her calves would start on the back ones then when they got couple weeks old would start on the fronts. After that they all looked the same. B&G

jerry27150":23xcwu03 said:
sounds like she stepped on it, so she didn't want calf to touch it

Yep, I'd guess the same without a pic. Calf would not cause a sore... had to be something the cow did. Can't say I don't blame the cow for kicking the calf off that quarter if there is a sore on it...

Definitely makes sense! She might have stepped on it couple days before getting up and down during labor. Thanks for y'all's help!

Latest posts