Cow not bred

Help Support CattleToday:

ousoonerfan22

Reaction score
We have a 6 year old angus cow that our young angus bull bred twice in January through the middle of February and today she's in heat again, we pulled the bull two weeks ago. I don't think it's the bull because he bred 14 other cows during that time and none have come back in so far. Last year this cow didn't stick to AI but the black baldie bull we had bred her and she has a nice heifer calf now and has calved before. She is a good looking cow that raises nice calves so what could be the problem with her not sticking? :???:
I hate to haul her off but if she's going to continue cycling she probably needs to go. What would you do?

Most will probably say "ship her." If she was an important cow to me, I personally would have her palpated by the vet and see if she had something going on. Infection, cyst, ect.. But my cattle are not a business for me.

Sometimes, and it's rare, but a bred cow will still return to heat. Before shipping her I would have a preg check done just to make sure she's open. If she is I would ship her.

Have most of mine together this winter. Bull was brought in to service fall calvers. I saw him mount and breed a spring calver. Haven't taken the time to check her. I figured she slipped one. If she is in fact short bred may just roll her to the fall. Haven't decided. She is one of two who hasn't calved. I knew the other was going to be behind.

fitz

The vet pregged her today and she's open so I guess she needs to go. Had the vet test the bull yesterday and vet said he was good 90% so it's not the bulls fault.

Latest posts