cow not bred

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Trying to figure out why first calf heifer could be three months late and still not showing in sack. She was on schedule with first calf. She was vaccinated with bovi-shield gold last spring before turn out with bull who was also vaccinated. Bull was 2.5 yrs at turn out and they have been running together since. Bull got the other two cows bred at turn out, one was also a first calf heifer (yes it is small herd). Is this not that far behind for a first calf heifer or something else maybe? Thanks for help.

Could e several things.Some don't breed back because of the stress they were under from calving.The vaccine you used has been questioned about causing problems with rebreeding.I'll know more after tomorrow as I have vet coming to preg check and I suspect this may be one of the problems.I have read and heard of problems coming from using MLV vaccines.You could also have picked up a hotter strain of Lepto which will require antibiotics and a twice annual Lepto shot for a while.
Best idea is take her to the vet and get her checked and,if open,let them draw blood to check for Lepto and,possibly,Neosporia.I picked up some of the latter from coyotes,foxes or something like that once.Will cause them to not breed or breed then abort at about three months.
Just my :2cents:

wbvs58":erwxgipt said:
WEIGHT.

Ken
Bingo. If she is low on body weight and nursing a calf, she will not cycle. If she doesn't cycle, she will not get bred.

How do you know she isn't bred? I am "assuming" that is what you mean by "three months late and still not showing in sack".
If you mean she is 3 months after calving and isn't pregnant, how do you know that? You cannot tell by looking at her. Is she cycling and the bull is breeding her, but she keeps coming back into heat?

On the issue with BS Gold. Virgin heifers should have been vaccinated at least 2 times AT LEAST 30 days prior to breeding. After initial two vaccinations, a yearly dose 30 days prior to breeding is required and does not cause a problem with cattle conceiving.

Let's back up. Are you saying she calved, raised her calf, weaned a calf, and is still not pregnant? How do you know she is not pregnant?
She should have been able to get pregnant 60-90 days after calving.
I do not know what BSG is.

Yes, yes, and I don't know she is not pregnant, I do know that other cow exposed at same time birthed 3 months ago, BoviShieldGold

OOOHHHHH - we thought you couldn't get her bred, but you are saying she should be bred, but she is not making an udder (bagging up) and the other cows have already calved. OK, now I got it.
How long was the bull with your herd? Is she still within 9 months of when she could have been bred by the bull?
If the bull stayed with them, she could easily be a lot later than the rest because she was nursing her first calf, and may have not been in as good a body condition as the other females to get bred.
If you don't know how to palpate her, maybe a neighbor could do it for you to see if she is even pregnant.
Is the bull still running with the females?