Cow Horse....

Help Support CattleToday:

I do everything just in english tack. practice barrels; herd cows; trail ride; give lessons; it's more comfortable for me and my mare (but I do love to ride bareback)

Gale Seddon":1bwzgi3x said:
I don't have "a horse in this race" (fortunately), and I'd like to say all the photos on this thread show wonderful looking animals. As far as English or Western, I'd have to rely on my wise Uncle Doug's words: "The question isn't whether you can ride English or Western, the question is can you ride?" I grew up riding in English saddles (hunter/jumper) and confess that I don't know my way around all that Western tack.

My feelings on this thread is... two very nice looking animals, and it's all been tounge in cheek. If anyone wants to ride english or western and can stay in the saddle through some exciting times... they're a cowboy!

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do everything just in english tack. practice barrels; herd cows; trail ride; give lessons; it's more comfortable for me and my mare (but I do love to ride bareback)

You left out Doctor, cut and rope.

Do English riders sit around the campfire and drink tea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alacowman, is that the horse of yours that has a bit of an attitude when you first get on him? How's that other flea bitten nag of yours doing? He coming around?

smart_slider":188do2j6 said:
but CB, what if your cattle get out into a heavily forrested area? how r u going to get a truck through the trees? and thanx everyone for the comments on the horses... i like the look of ALACOWMAN's horse...and speaking of which, whoever asked about branding, we do it so that if/when we git into the "big Boy" events, past branded horses we've had can be associated with us... o well i guess it looks cool too! :D
ss

Dog much cheaper than any horse.

Beef11":2xft7szu said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You left out Doctor, cut and rope.
I do doctor and cut, but I don't rope.

Do English riders sit around the campfire and drink tea?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dun":12v24j5h said:
Caustic Burno":12v24j5h said:
Dog much cheaper than any horse.

When they get too old to work there isn;t near as much meat though

dun
That's one of the nice things about a lap dog. If it is dead in the morning you just throw it in the crock pot and when you get home from work, you got a hot meal.

Rod

ha! my horses still work for a living and are very useful! well, i guess a dog will work, but you can't just run out and do it with a 'green' dog... with a horse, you just go out and work the cattle, green or not; you just gotta hold on! :shock:
ss

flaboy-":y9f4db5k said:
Do English riders sit around the campfire and drink tea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alacowman, is that the horse of yours that has a bit of an attitude when you first get on him? How's that other flea bitten nag of yours doing? He coming around?
he;s broke out with attitude. but the S.O.B. will put you on a cow pronto. when you get on him feels like all muscle under you and ready too explode. you are constantly aware of the saddle horns location :p...... CAUSTIC he is three bars top and bottom with some pacific bailey in the mix.. FLABOY starvin marvin is coming along fine gonna try and get on him this weekend it suppose to be nice.

i know what you guys mean... i guess it is cheaper(buying, feed costs) and useful... there are still places the horse can't go... but i'll still ride 'em! :cboy:
ss

gabby":3rvlawz6 said:
flaboy-":3rvlawz6 said:
D.R. Cattle":3rvlawz6 said:
18 hands. Doesn't rope or cut. Is ridden with English gear. Don't take it the wrong way but "cowhorse" is jumping the gun don't you think?

I do agree with you D.R. I was just sort of wondering what his neighbors think when they see that English rig. Wonder where he ties a slicker, dead hog, or dead deer not to mention a rope. :lol:

Just messin with ya gabby.

SmartSlider - I like the filly. Looks MUCH more like a cow horse to me. :lol:

I don't get no lip at all when I show up on Moose, English gear or not. He just sort of towers over everything in sight. Like Conway sang, "Don't call him a cowboy till you see him ride." :)

The most noteable feature of the picture is that you are leading your cattle instead of driving them. Some things are more important than what kind of gear you have. I'd say that's one of them. I like to work with a group of "dog broke" cattle. That way you can just ride out ahead with your dogs and the cattle will follow, until they just learn to follow regardless.

Alacowman,
Dang! You couldn't find one with a BIG HIP ???

I guess getting old means I'll never own the horse I always dreamed of .
Closest I got is my old 25 yr Sugar Bars mare, back when she was 12. She was already trained to do everything you can do on a ranch when I got her. But she never looked as good as your horse. I like red horses, and I love three bars genetics, so you can see why I'm impressed with your mount. Hope you get lots of years out of him.

skidboots":16zjmdz1 said:
Alacowman,

Closest I got is my old 25 yr Sugar Bars mare, back when she was 12. She was already trained to do everything you can do on a ranch when I got her. But she never looked as good as your horse. I like red horses, and I love three bars genetics, so you can see why I'm impressed with your mount. Hope you get lots of years out of him.
pick horses like women big butt and pretty head ;-)

ALACOWMAN":1tyxe4se said:
skidboots":1tyxe4se said:
Alacowman,

pick horses like women big butt and pretty head ;-)

I like long legs and slender round butts!! :)

Come to think about it my women are like my horses also, like to scream, kick and be a pain.

Alan

ok! stop it! lol it hurts my feelings to see you guys talk about the other pics but not mine.. :cry: :cry:

ha! jkjkjk its cool! but i like the small, built horses, with thick necks, little heads, and BIG motors on 'em!
ss 8)

Latest posts