Arabian horse

Help Support CattleToday:

On the Appaloosas I always heard they were the only thing slow enough for the Indians to catch them while on foot. Or they were too poor to buy a horse and too proud to ride a donkey.

I will have to take a little offense... I had Apps for years and I could not have asked for a better more even tempered trail horse.... Not too hot headed... and the funny thing is my first horse was an arabian/quarter/standardbred cross and I rode gymkhana games (pole bending, barrel racing, and such) and trail rode and then used to give the neighborhood kids rides and she was like a safe old plough horse when the little ones were on her... but I could go from that to competing in the local gymkhana games in the same afternoon...

I will have to take a little offense... I had Apps for years and I could not have asked for a better more even tempered trail horse.... Not too hot headed... and the funny thing is my first horse was an arabian/quarter/standardbred cross and I rode gymkhana games (pole bending, barrel racing, and such) and trail rode and then used to give the neighborhood kids rides and she was like a safe old plough horse when the little ones were on her... but I could go from that to competing in the local gymkhana games in the same afternoon...
You were lucky! 😇

I'm with you... and Appys and Arabians are distance horses and will cover more ground than most breeds before they play out. An old style Appy may be slow in a quarter mile but he'll run five in half the time a Quarter horse will...

You were lucky! 😇
We must have been doubly lucky then. My daughters first Appy was a fantastic sporting horse, barrels, bending, flag races. She up graded then to 16h Appy for show jumping and eventing and dressage. She won a couple of state titles on him in eventing and dressage, she trained him from scratch. He was a very good horse.

Ken

Thank you @wbvs58 .... yes I liked my Appaloosas and crosses. I liked that they were not so "high strung" all the time too.
But there are as many breeds of horses for as many wants and likes the same as there are as many breeds of cattle for all the different people's wants and tastes...
Might not be popular with the "want everything to meet a certain set of criteria"... but then cattle are becoming more of "cookie cutter sameness" for the commercial market..... and the individual traits that have made some breeds more suited for certain areas fall out of favor... it is the niche breeds and areas that will keep the gene pool diversified and in the event of some disasters, may be what saves many people with food in the future. Same as the multitude breeds of chickens... not everyone wants leghorns for the multitude of eggs but are not much for contributing to a good pot of chicken for soup and broth....
We ought to become a little more diversified in the breeds and the way they are marketed so that we do not lose some of this.... 300 eggs a year is not worth much if it takes 3 chickens to barely make a pot of soup... where as 200 eggs a year from a heavier "dual purpose" breed and a bird worth killing for a pot of soup might be the better choice. Same as with cattle... and with horses.
A dozen ponies cannot do what one shire draft horse can do... and an arabian will take you a whole lot further a whole lot faster than that heavy built shire....

And a good quarter horse, will make an outstanding cattle horse compared to a thoroughbred that could run faster and not have a bit of cow sense.....
Uhhh, those who know QHs and AQHA history, will tell you it is the TB that put the "cow" in the QHs. I bought an appendix reg mare that was all TB on her papers except her maternal grandsire, Pacific Bailey, a QH race horse. Sire was the TB Azure Te. She was bred to run, a 16 hd bay. That was the cow cuttingest horse I ever rode except my Gunsmoke horses. Team penned, headed and heeled off her for years. I had just got her home, saddled her and went into the arena. GF had left these 7 steers in it from when she was practicing penning. I was gonna haze them out of the pen on her. One tried to cut back on us, and this mare made 3 moves...on her own... on the steer to block...belly almost on the ground like a cat. I wasn't quite ready and had to grab the horn to stay on. Clay hollered "Damn, did y'all see that?!! " I got a hold of the previous owner a few days later, He said she had never been on a cow., He had only used her as an outrider in chuckwagon races. Lot of TBs have a lot of cow...just most never get asked to show it.

Last edited:
I have had both Quarter horses and Arabs over the years along with a number of Grade horses at one time owning over a dozen horses at the same time. I have never owned an Appaloosa. I always found the Arabs easier to train and more responsive to my requests than any other breed. They just seemed much smarter, so perhaps quicker to learn both good and bad habits. My Arabs seemed to learn new things much faster, but they responded better to encouragement than they did to force. It felt like my Arabs wanted to please me, while the Quarter Horses had to be convinced that they had to do it. Most of my Arabs bonded to me in a way I was never able to accomplish with a Quarter Horse. I never had an Arab horse buck either, and I can't say that about other breeds of horses. Some people claim they are more likely to shy, I never found that to be true either. I remember riding a narrow trail through the woods at a trot behind two Quarter horses one time. Both shied and jumped off the trail into the woods to reveal a confused woodchuck in the middle of the trail scrambling to get across. My Arab extended her trot and went right over the top without missing a beat. The difference probably had little to do with their breeds and more to do with how many wet saddle blankets they had seen. My horses were ridden 6 or 7 days a week and had seen most things before.

Like I said before, I found the Arabs easier to train. As a simple example, I remember working with two 3 year olds at the same time and we were working on crossing a stream. The Quarter horse planted all four feet and I spent a great deal of time convincing her that it was safe to cross. We had to repeat the same process with every crossing for the next week or so. The Arab danced around a bit, but I got her to cross in just a few minutes and from then on she trusted my judgement. Those are just two horses, and of course they all have different personalities, but I trained dozens of horses in my youth and I always found the Arabs easiest. My experience was mostly in the area of distance riding and Arabs are the superior animal in that area, so my opinions are colored by that. Those horses would go wherever you asked at whatever speed you asked. I could ask that they walk quietly into a rest stop or race for first place finish, and they would oblige me either way. The best part was that when I went to get them from the pasture, most would come when called, ready to go for a ride. The few Quarter Horses I owned would need to be tricked into coming for food, so I could catch them. I know it isn't fair to judge from the few Quarter Horses I have owned, so I'm sure that isn't always the case, but I also think people that make derogatory comments about Arab horses have never spent much time around them.

I now own only one horse. Finese turned 41 in February. I watched him come into the world on February 1 1982. It was 10 below zero that night and he was born in a stall in a small barn. He is the last of my endurance horses. In 2019 we had a snowstorm that left us trapped and without power for a week. We lost the last of the others to colic in the first few days. After that, we opened the gate to his pasture and he has been allowed to roam free in the yard ever since. He could take the long road down the driveway and off the ranch, but he seems happy to stay here and hang out with us. I am attaching a photo of him taken in May. He still gets around well, but he is hard to keep weight on since most of his teeth are gone. He gets a mash of Purina SR each morning and night. I was in my late 20's when he was born. I never would have dreamed we would still be together when I was in my 70's. He wasn't the best endurance horse I ever owned, but he was steady and consistent. He usually placed in the top 5 and was ready to race again. He won the high mileage horse in the Midwest in 1990, competing 1270 miles that summer.

Dave, I am not sure where this bit of information you put out there came from. 1) Were you late getting the irrigation done yesterday and maybe had a little over exposure to the sun? or 2) You had a bad runin with one of the local Nez Pierce ?
1690155339339.png1690155378263.png

The safest and best horse I had was an Arab gelding, Brim. He was my once in a lifetime horse. Good with both my Border Collies and Hounds. He would listen for the hounds and would go to them, he would even track them. There was one time when the hounds went into an area that was not practical to take the horse, so I stripped all his gear off (saddle, bridle, halter) and left him. It was 4 or 5 hours before I got back with the dogs to where I had left him, he was still there. He knew all that country and could have chosen to leave.

In a hurry to get home late one evening we cut through some timber, the light was getting dim, and we were traveling at a brisk trot when he hit an old woven wire fence. It caused him to rear up, I went off sideways and had to make an effort not get impaled on a steel post. When his front feet touched the ground again both front feet were on one side of the woven wire fence and both back feet were on the other side. No barb wire. I had no tool with me of any kind to take the clips loose with or cut the wire. Brim stood quietly while I tried to find a way out of this situation. Pulled his saddle off, put the blanket over the woven wire in hopes it would give him a better idea of what he had to clear and hoping it would lessen any chance of a foot tangling in the wire. He very carefully managed to get both hind legs over the fence when I asked him to. Was always so thankful the steel post scraped me and wasn't under Brim when he came down.

Brim and the Black Bear.

Following an old skid road into a brushy canyon on Brim one afternoon, every now and then he would pause and listen. Was nearly to the bottom when I started seeing a few cows scattered around in the brush so thought that was probably what he had been paying attention to. A little farther there were more cows and the old roadbed had a washout and got increasingly brushy so decided to turn back. Had gone maybe 100 yards and here comes this Black Bear down the skid road at us. Brim stopped and the bear kept coming another few feet before he noticed us, there was maybe 60 ft between us. The bear stopped, looked us over, then whirled and headed back up the skid road, ran maybe 50 ft and went up over the bank and disappeared into the brush. During this encounter Brim never moved, but the way his heart was beating it felt like it was going to come out through his ribcage. Only one way out of there, up the skid road the bear had just followed us down. Never at any point did Brim snort, threaten to bolt, rear or buck. But we went up out of that canyon at pretty quick walk. Those little Arab feet were touching the ground very lightly. It would be about an hour before his heart quit pounding against his ribcage.

I lost Brim a long time back to a severe bout of colic.

Okay story time is over. Hope today is a better day. You would have liked Brim, he is the only horse I have ever been around that could "share" your space, without being "in" your space.

Brim 2.jpg

Agree that great horses come in all breeds. The best horse of my life was appendix mare who lived 40 years. She had the TB heart and bone structure with the QH muscle and mind. One of my horses was a black Arab stallion. I agree with wbvs58 and puzzled in oregon Arabs are different. They need to be trained, not broken. They have a relationship. Arabs always win the Tevus Cup 100 mile race over mountains in a day. Sometimes two riders have been hazing each other for the lead for the last 20 miles. The two will join hands as they cross the finish line to honor the other horse and rider.

Last edited by a moderator: