Arabian horse

Help Support CattleToday:

The first and greatest horse of my life, The one that I bought with my babysitting money in 1970, kept taking her foot away from the shoer. This was the first time I ever had a horse shod. He finally hauled off and hit her in the side with his rasp. So hard it made rasp print on her hair. This made me furiously mad but I didn't say anything. She never took a foot away again and she lived 40 years. That's when I started teaching them to pick up the foot I pointed at and said Pick Up.
If he had hit my horse with a rasp, I would have picked up whatever was handy, and caved his ribs in. I had one a long time ago, that hit mine in the side of the jaw with the rasp, I grabbed up his nippers and hit him on his right cheek, knocking out most of his teeth on that side. I had just giot through explaining to him what he was doing wrong, and showed him how to properly pick up the feet. He was too old and fat to be shooing anyway. Stupid idiot wanted to get the foot , took it in hos crotch, and stand up straight! I just showed him like I do when I train all farriers who don't know.... I had told him to put a hand behind his back, about at his belt line, I then grabbed it and shoved it up as high as I could between his shoulder blades. l told him that's what it feels like to the horse when you try to hike him up that high. I show them to pick up the foot and hold it no higher than 16 inches off the ground while you work on it. You remember that Clay? You were just about 14 then, I think.

This horse I have now is club footed. No telling what shoeing horrors he experienced in a Saddlbred show barn on the east coast. The Oregon trainer actually put a chain across his upper gum, said dont ever do this it's only for experts. Got him home, pulled the shoes, had him trimmed high low and let him go pasture in the rainy season.. He trots even and sound high stepping ever after. Picks up hoof whatever I point.

In 1961 a little Arab mare named Rotenza, ridden and trained by Sheila Varian, won the
Grand National Rodeo Reined Cow Horse Open Championship at the Cow Palace.
Rontenza was the first Arabian to win that title. Sheila Varian was the first female rider
to win that event.

If he had hit my horse with a rasp, I would have picked up whatever was handy, and caved his ribs in. I had one a long time ago, that hit mine in the side of the jaw with the rasp, I grabbed up his nippers and hit him on his right cheek, knocking out most of his teeth on that side. I had just giot through explaining to him what he was doing wrong, and showed him how to properly pick up the feet. He was too old and fat to be shooing anyway. Stupid idiot wanted to get the foot , took it in hos crotch, and stand up straight! I just showed him like I do when I train all farriers who don't know.... I had told him to put a hand behind his back, about at his belt line, I then grabbed it and shoved it up as high as I could between his shoulder blades. l told him that's what it feels like to the horse when you try to hike him up that high. I show them to pick up the foot and hold it no higher than 16 inches off the ground while you work on it. You remember that Clay? You were just about 14 then, I think.
No, I was 16 and I have never been so scared in my life! When you turned and handed me your pistol, and then went back at him, I thought you were gonna kill him. Thank God he had the sense to stay down and not try to get up. About a year later was when Lonesome Dove came on, and when Call goes after that scout that whipped Newt, it reminded me of that day. Still does every time I see it. I saw him at the farrier shed at Wagon Train in 2000 or 2001. I watched him shoe for about an hour while I was standing there talking with Shorty. He never picked a foot up over his boot top! LOL. And , no horse I watched him shoe ever jerked away or anything, so I guess he learned! :)

Interesting to read this Warren. The Arab I have now is pretty patient with his feet. It it is a very slow process
when I have to trim him and occasionally he will asked for a foot back, which I allow.
I could tell something was hurting him when his former farrier was working on him, he would slowly start shifting
his weight to his back feet till he would look like a horse setting back, only no pressure on the lead rope. He was
asking as politely as he knew how to have that front foot released. I was actually quite happy to hear when
the farrier had been injured and would be unavailable for sometime. This same farrier commented one time that he
did not understand why the horse owners thought they needed to be there while he worked on their horses.
My response was "Bad Farriers".

Have a different farrier now, only problem is trying to get her to understand she needs to leave a little more hoof
on my horse. He does not get shod, and most farriers take him so short he can't walk a rock road for nearly three
weeks. I probably shouldn't try the "nippers to the jaw" followed up with the "arm behind the back, hand
between the shoulder blades" maneuvers, for my own safety :)

I better stick with my instincts though. Usually when I try to be fair and reasonable, it is a mistake. If they won't handle him and trim him the way I say, I will do the trim myself.
Am far from a qualified farrier, but he can walk a rock road after I trim him, and I'm not hurting his joints,
muscles, tendons etc.

Interesting to read this Warren. The Arab I have now is pretty patient with his feet. It it is a very slow process
when I have to trim him and occasionally he will asked for a foot back, which I allow.
I could tell something was hurting him when his former farrier was working on him, he would slowly start shifting
his weight to his back feet till he would look like a horse setting back, only no pressure on the lead rope. He was
asking as politely as he knew how to have that front foot released. I was actually quite happy to hear when
the farrier had been injured and would be unavailable for sometime. This same farrier commented one time that he
did not understand why the horse owners thought they needed to be there while he worked on their horses.

Have a different farrier now, only problem is trying to get her to understand she needs to leave a little more hoof
on my horse. He does not get shod, and most farriers take him so short he can't walk a rock road for nearly three
weeks. I probably shouldn't try the "nippers to the jaw" followed up with the "arm behind the back, hand

I better stick with my instincts though. Usually when I try to be fair and reasonable, it is a mistake. If they won't handle him and trim him the way I say, I will do the trim myself.
Am far from a qualified farrier, but he can walk a rock road after I trim him, and I'm not hurting his joints,
muscles, tendons etc.
I'm not a professional when it comes to shoeing, not by a long shot... but it isn't hard to trim hooves in my opinion. I've done that plenty and never had a horse complain...

muscles, tendons etc.
a lot of time it's not pain but getting tired of being held in an unusual position that bothers a horse. After shoeing a lot of horses I made a few changes to what I did as I shod them, especially young horses although it helps with almost all of them. I started shoeing the back feet first, people often thing a lot of horses are picky about back feet but I found out that doing that takes away some of the boredom and impatience because the horse is fresher. There has also been a tendancy of some of the so-called "shoeing schools" to teach people to shoe one foot at a time which gives a horse less of a break per foot instead of trimming one foot then trimming the other then shoeing one foot and then shoeing the other. Doing 2 feet at a time will give them more of a break and relaxes them more and also allows you to balance the horse's feet better

Latest posts