1/2 horse tail missing...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
So, one of my rescue horses came for her hay with the whole lower 8 inches of her tail completely bare. Everything above that was thick and beautiful as always. There pasture is next to woodland. I keep it wild for the rabbits, squirrel, deer, etc. They travel thru it to stand in the creek in the shade to get out of the hot sun (I don't blame them)! At first I thought someone skinned her. Began walking the property and I see something white hanging on a tree. She must have been scratching an itch, got her tail caught and walked circles around the tree until she pulled the bottom half off.

I was able to untangle it from the tree. She had a thick long tail and I have decided to make a couple of braided horse hair and silver hat bands. I have about 3 feet to work with about 4 1/2 inches in diameter. Hope they turn out OK.

Picture is Snow before losing the bottom of her tail!
PRMS0013.JPG

One of my cows was missing part of her tail and I found it wrapped 4 times around a tree.

Ken, I actually talked to my vet about super gluing it back on but there was too much stump. And really, anything like sewing or braiding it back on would have been a temporary fix.

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_074216765.jpg
    IMG_20220303_074216765.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 9
Riding into the back side of Jordan Valley, I came upon a distressed mare with her tail wrapped in a barbed wire fence. I stopped at the next house down the road to report it.

One of my cows was missing part of her tail and I found it wrapped 4 times around a tree.

Ken, I actually talked to my vet about super gluing it back on but there was too much stump. And really, anything like sewing or braiding it back on would have been a temporary fix.
My kids would have had that salted and ripping around the hood on their bicycles causing havoc!🤣🤣

She just lost the hair. I was surprised there was no actual damage to the skin of her tail. It just looked very, very strange though. Hopefully it won't take too long to grow back. She is older,. She was a rescue and as near as we can figure she is over 20 years old.

My kids would have had that salted and ripping around the hood on their bicycles causing havoc!🤣🤣
One of my little cowboys that helps me work cattle exceeded my expectations with his preg checking skills (he's 14!!!) but he wanted the residual tail in the worst way. I'm sure his mother is still thanking me for that.

Latest posts