Cow/calf feedlot operations ????

Help Support CattleToday:

NC Liz 2

Reaction score
Cow/calf feedlot operations ???? :???:

Managing a cow herd in drought conditions is a challenge. A management consideration when weather conditions result in a reduction in forage production in pastures is to relocate some or all cattle. Cows could be relocated to a feedlot that is located off-site or a dry lot or sacrifice area to dry lot cows on-site could be developed.

http://beef.unl.edu/cattleproduction/drylottingbeefcows

What are your thought on this theory?
My questions are:
Why move them off site to a feedlot situation?
Why not just do supplemental feeding right where they are, as we have always done?
Now correct me if I am wrong, BUT, this is exactly what is causing the dairy industry to be an albatross around the neck of the beef industry.

To me it sounds like the government is trying to reinvent the wheel again!

Feedlots offer more options for cheaper feed ingredients. You can't really incorporate things like distillers grain when they're running all over 5,000 acres. When the drought gets to the point where you're FEEDING and not just suplementing then a feed lot can be one alternative to having cows to come back to if/when it ever rains again.

Re:
I see you've moved on from the sulfur fixation to the dairy based beef fixation.
Not really! You just lack the ability to connect the dots!

Re:
Feedlots offer more options for cheaper feed ingredients. & It is far cheaper to haul 1 load of cows to the feed than it is to haul 10 loads of feed to the cows
So based on those two theory's, those cow/calf operations who have adverse winter conditions instead of drought, should ship their cattle to feedlots. Right?

Re:
You can't really incorporate things like distillers grain
( AKA ethanol by-products )
Now connect the dots!
Who is going to run these temporary feedlots? The government?
And what will it cost after you get your cattle there and who will pay for and run these feedlots? Who will determine where they will be? The government?

NC Liz 2":1xu5ziu1 said:
Re:
Feedlots offer more options for cheaper feed ingredients. & It is far cheaper to haul 1 load of cows to the feed than it is to haul 10 loads of feed to the cows
So based on those two theory's, those cow/calf operations who have adverse winter conditions instead of drought, should ship their cattle to feedlots. Right?

Re:
You can't really incorporate things like distillers grain
( AKA ethanol by-products )
Now connect the dots!
Who is going to run these temporary feedlots? The government?
And what will it cost after you get your cattle there and who will pay for and run these feedlots? Who will determine where they will be? The government?

I would happen to guess that the person that put them there would pay for iy. :p

Re:
I would happen to guess that the person that put them there would pay for it.
Oh, they will pay for it, all right!
But not in dollars, the taxpayers will do most of that.
Just like they pay for wild horses confined on other BLM lands.
My best guess is most of the cost will come out of the farm bill so you will continue to support and vote for those who support the farm bill.
IMO: It will become just another government teat to suck on to buy votes while shoring up one of their other failed house of cards. ( To wit: ethanol )

What they will pay is having their cattle feed like dairy cattle and suffer the exact same consequences.
And that 17% albatross around the beef industries neck will grow to 20 – ?? - 25% ?
And the consumer will loss even more confidence in the US beef industry further depressing the value of our cattle and driving more cattlemen/woman out of business.

NC Liz 2":4rxm062q said:
Re:
I see you've moved on from the sulfur fixation to the dairy based beef fixation.
Not really! You just lack the ability to connect the dots!
My 3 year old can connect the dots better than you can SirLiz, from what I've read of you're posts and IMOs lately.

LizSirNC, one word to best suit your 'tude .... resistant

Latest posts