Cow aborts Calf, 2 months Later... Suprise!

Help Support CattleToday:

RoppFamilyFarm

Reaction score
I had a cow back in December that aborted a small calf, expelled the placenta etc. Last night we happened to be heading out to the barn to check on the other cows due to calve, and low and behold the cow that aborted the calf back in December dropped a 100lb. bull calf right in front of me! Has anyone ever heard of this!? Were they twins, and he was soo much bigger that he pushed the other out? I am very confused. Thanks!

Sire: A&T Captain Obvious 606S
DOB: 12/14/16
Weight: 100lbs
IMG_9514-e1455565511937.jpeg

Seen that happened before, aborting a twin calf isn't that uncommon but in many cases the surviving calf is normal sized instead of 50-60lbs calf.

This is really interesting to me as right before I had moved my cows home off grass to where I winter them one of my best young cows was bawling around and had what looked to be a small water bag hanging out of her. I tried to follow her around hoping she would show me the fetus but she never did. I assumed she had slipped but, keep thinking she's still awful wide. Haven't pregged her yet but, that would be a nice surprise if she does the same. Probably wishful thinking. Wonder how common this is? B&G

Black and Good":3i9tv01h said:
This is really interesting to me as right before I had moved my cows home off grass to where I winter them one of my best young cows was bawling around and had what looked to be a small water bag hanging out of her. I tried to follow her around hoping she would show me the fetus but she never did. I assumed she had slipped but, keep thinking she's still awful wide. Haven't pregged her yet but, that would be a nice surprise if she does the same. Probably wishful thinking. Wonder how common this is? B&G

Same here! 6 year old schluffed an appx 35 lb preemie heifer a couple weeks ago, wasn't due until 3/14. Saw the post & got all excited - and then simmered down once logic kicked in. But congrats on your Valentine's Day surprise!

I wish there was a camera pointed at my face when i looked and saw her giving birth in the pasture, I was in total shock and confused! Well @Black & Good and @TCRanch, there is still hope! If it happened to me it can happen to anyone!

RoppFamilyFarm":25oibgnp said:
I wish there was a camera pointed at my face when i looked and saw her giving birth in the pasture, I was in total shock and confused! Well @Black & Good and @TCRanch, there is still hope! If it happened to me it can happen to anyone!

Not this time - bulls were all over her this morning. ;-)

I've heard of it happening.. never seen it though.

So is there hope for my cow that aborted Dec 30th and has been in heat twice since?.. we'll see I guess... she doesn't look wide though.

Congrats on the calf. Not something I've seen before, but makes a person wonder how often stuff like that happens and nobody knows about it.

Latest posts