Couple of ? on blackleg

Help Support CattleToday:

WolfLady

Reaction score
I live in La, Went to lower Mississippi this morn (Amite Co). Fellow there said his neighbor just lost 2 calves from blackleg? And a third sick? How do cows get this and when do you need to vac. for it? If I was to walk in a feild with said dead cows - would i be a carrier to other cows? (NO i didnt go to feild just trying to understand transmitters) Also if this is such a long standing and horriable sickness -- Why on earth were the dead ones left on the ground to rot? How do cows/calves get it? thanks to all

WolfLady":m101qfrk said:
I live in La, Went to lower Mississippi this morn (Amite Co). Fellow there said his neighbor just lost 2 calves from blackleg? And a third sick? How do cows get this and when do you need to vac. for it? If I was to walk in a feild with said dead cows - would i be a carrier to other cows? (NO i didnt go to feild just trying to understand transmitters) Also if this is such a long standing and horriable sickness -- Why on earth were the dead ones left on the ground to rot? How do cows/calves get it? thanks to all

We vaccinate everything...even bottle calves from the auction...for black leg...'cause our soil is filled with it. I doubt you walking thru the field would be a problem...but if you know it's around, you bet, I'd vaccinate for it right from the get go.

That's just MY opinion.

Alice

WolfLady":3pfyspn0 said:
How old do they need to be? And what other vaccs do they need?

I can tell ya' what the vaccine bottles say on what we vaccinate with...and yes, they are babies when we do it...'cause there's no guarantee around here they've gotten the benefit of colostrum when the come from the sale barn.

OK, here goes: TVS2, a nasal modified live virus (respiratory stuff) and Vision 7 with spur (that includes black leg).

Alice

Latest posts