Couple of calves

Help Support CattleToday:

RD-Sam

Reaction score
Couple of calves getting close to weaning time.

heifer2.jpg

bull3.jpg

Whats the purpose of posting the pics? Do you want opinions, advice, keeping the boards lively?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":24zllt5i said:
Looks like they might NEED to get weaned - look pretty thin. How are the cows holding up? What breed/breeds are they? Fine boned & horned?
Wagyu? i hear they taste better than they look :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1syi2qd2 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1syi2qd2 said:
Looks like they might NEED to get weaned - look pretty thin. How are the cows holding up? What breed/breeds are they? Fine boned & horned?

We have a winner, yes they are Wagyu. Actually that heifer is a pretty nice one for the breed, the bull is about average.

I figured I might get hate mail for posting those pics, this went better than expected. :lol2:

KNERSIE":1g5g7jdc said:
Whats the purpose of posting the pics? Do you want opinions, advice, keeping the boards lively?

Figured I would mix it up a little, it gets boring talking about Angus and Herefords all the time. :tiphat:

RD-Sam":z1nfwgvo said:
ALACOWMAN":z1nfwgvo said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":z1nfwgvo said:

We have a winner, yes they are Wagyu. Actually that heifer is a pretty nice one for the breed, the bull is about average.

I figured I might get hate mail for posting those pics, this went better than expected. :lol2:
Where did you get the Wagyu? What will you do with them?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1cq6p616 said:
Yes the heifer is the better of the two - but, that's not saying a lot.
Hopefully, the "bull" is NOT intact.

Yep, he is intact and will stay that way, he is worth three times more than any bull that has been posted on here this year. :lol2: I know that is hard for you folks to believe, but it's true. :D

Kingfisher":318tf4ts said:
RD-Sam":318tf4ts said:

Where did you get the Wagyu? What will you do with them?[/quote]

I bought embryos, bought two and got two calves from them. I'm just getting started, but I plan to raise fullbloods and sell them for breeding and Kobe beef.

RD-Sam":3fbpgbx0 said:
I bought embryos, bought two and got two calves from them. I'm just getting started, but I plan to raise fullbloods and sell them for breeding and Kobe beef.

Good luck to you. Judging only from pictures I've seen, they look pretty much like what a Wagyu is supposed to look like. Right?

VanC":1w6pjhnj said:
RD-Sam":1w6pjhnj said:

Good luck to you. Judging only from pictures I've seen, they look pretty much like what a Wagyu is supposed to look like. Right?

Thanks! The bull looks pretty much spot on for the breed. The heifer actually has a little more rear than what you would normally see, I think she may turn out to be something really nice. They really don't grow much til they hit about 2 years of age, so I have a bit of a wait before I know what I really have.

Just because a bull is worth a lot of money in the Wagyu breed, doesn't mean you will get it for that bull. Kobe beef needs MEAT - he is not going to produce meat. Hard to believe that the true breed lacks that much muscle.
I'll have to look them up.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2qwm4av9 said:
Just because a bull is worth a lot of money in the Wagyu breed, doesn't mean you will get it for that bull. Kobe beef needs MEAT - he is not going to produce meat. Hard to believe that the true breed lacks that much muscle.
I'll have to look them up.

Yep, look them up, they have no butt, and they are really slow to mature, and they are fed a year to a year and a half longer than most beef breeds before processing.

You can find a few muscled up bulls in the breed, but the beef quality isn't even close to the ones with no butt. :D

The dam to both of those is an 18 star out of 22, and the bulls sire is a 21 out of 22. They both come from the best marbling lines in the breed.

Two embryos - two calves - you did great. Are they full sibs?

Oh Lordy - the red strain goes back to Simmental :shock:
cow2.gif

The dominant black Wagyu strains are Tottori, Tajima, Shimane, and Okayama. Tajima cattle, bred in the Tajima region, were originally chosen and bred for their heavy forequarters because their primary use was to pull carts. They tend to be smaller and less heavily muscled than the Tottori breed. Tottori cattle, because they were used as pack animals for the grain industry of the Tottori region, were selected for their size and strength of topline.

The other main "breed" of Wagyu, was developed on the island of Kyushu and are red in color. As with the blacks, there are two distinct strains-Kochi and Kumamoto. Kochi cattle were strongly influenced by Korean breeding while Kumamoto are believed to have considerable
Simmental influence.

Strong gene pool -
The original import of these cattle to the U.S. in 1976 consisted of two Tottori Black Wagyu and two Kumamoto Red Wagyu bulls. That was the only importation of Wagyu into the U.S. until 1993 when two male and three female Tajima cattle were imported and 1994 when 35 male and female cattle consisting of both red and black genetics reached the U.S.

Here's their Sire Summary:
http://www.ansci.wsu.edu/programs/wagyu ... ortPub.doc

So, since he is soooo rare - and the meat is unbelieveably priced - go for it.

Just goes to show what happens when you single trait select long enough for a trait, even a cool trait like marbling.

The heifer is not bad. The bull......I think is going to be a problem child. I hope not

Mine are primarily Tajima lines. They have a common dam, and different sires. Already have semen in the tank when the heifer is ready to breed, and I will likely try the bull on some of my angus cows when he is ready to breed.

Brandonm22":p2oozwkl said:
Just goes to show what happens when you single trait select long enough for a trait, even a cool trait like marbling.

The heifer is not bad. The bull......I think is going to be a problem child. I hope not

It's about beef quality, not quantity.

I started "experimenting" with Wagyu about three years ago. Now I have about 70 fullbloods and 25 Wagyu x Charolais. They definitely are not much to look at.....kind of like a cross between a Jersey and a Corriente without any milk. But they sure do taste good. I have 22 steers on feed and I have been monitoring their progress via carcass ultrasound every 30-60 days. I expect the first ones (F1's) to be ready for harvest around Dec. I only have one intact male. Here in TX they are worth more as beef ($4000-5000) than as bulls ($2500-3000).

Latest posts