Couple of calves

Help Support CattleToday:

To everyone else - I think Sam & whitecow are fine with the ribbing we've been dishing out. They expected it & know we're just having fun. In this day & age, if you can find a nitch to make more money - more power to you.
I think a lot of people might be jumping on this band wagon, so supply & demand may dig into the present high dollar profits. But, what the hey, won't win if you don't try. And, it's priced so high right now, even if it dropped to half that price, there may still be good money to be had.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":25ywsxvu said:
Oops - Sam & I posted at the same time - maybe Sam isn't taking this very well :shock:

I'm just fine with it, I tried to use the other word for kitty cat and it censored me. :roll:

No worries here. I've heard much worse from my own family and friends. But they all want to come over for dinner!

Some good friends got into the Waygu beef several years ago they seem to be very happy with the direction they are going. Check them out at http://www.sweetwaterplantation.com they have some good photo's of the beef produced by these cattle. All that being said the purebred are truly ugly cattle, but the angus x don't look all that bad, and they are some mighty fine eating.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

Jeanne - Simme Valley":15p9kudi said:
Now, I don't know about that. My in-laws live in Aransis Pass (Sp?) during the winter and they have yet to have a decent steak in Texas. They are major beef eaters, and said even the high dollar places serve shoe leather. The stuff in the store is worse. They bring their own steaks with them from Nebraska (they leave here & head out to Neb to visit family then head down to Tx). I'm just repeating them. I lived in Mesquite, Tx from age 4-9 - guarantee you I sure wouldn't know!!!!
Sorry Jeanne but they're not going to the right places. I eat steak in Texas all the time and just like any where in the country there are good and bad places to both buy or eat a good steak. I had a $100 steak in Omaha Nebraska in May and it was terrible, but that don't mean that all steaks are bad in Nebraska.

gizmom":zuy9iwho said:
Some good friends got into the Waygu beef several years ago they seem to be very happy with the direction they are going. Check them out at http://www.sweetwaterplantation.com they have some good photo's of the beef produced by these cattle. All that being said the purebred are truly ugly cattle, but the angus x don't look all that bad, and they are some mighty fine eating.

Gizmom

Gizmom-- I have to agree... I sure can't knock the pictures of RD-Sams Waygus, because they look as good as the ones I've seen in some sales...I remember the first bull sale I saw with them in I was shocked that anyone would try to sell something that looked like that... Even my forage only angus bulls looked 10 times better-- but there were people wanting and buying them....
If I did more AI- I would be tempted to try a few on my angus cows if only to see what kind of beef I could get for my own use... I love a well marbled steak :D

I am not knocking Wagyus. I am not trying to put a backside on them. I fully understand that a fat loin is what that breed is built for....not round roasts and fajita meat. I simply thought that one bull looked a little unthrifty given the quality of the spring forage he was on and questioned if his rump structure was what was holding him back (and truthfully you can't make that call without seeing him move). I also did not mean to imply anything negative about anyone's wife.

RD-Sam":13l3niu5 said:
VanC":13l3niu5 said:
wrote:

Hey, Sam. I like the way you're taking this whole thing. Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep an open mind while others laugh and you'll be successful. Lots of money has been made with "ugly" cattle.

My skin is thicker than the skin on my cattle. This crowd is a bunch of be nice, I bred and showed dogs for a while, there are some really nasty people in that industry, and I laughed at them like I do when these folks criticize everything. :tiphat:
Like Sam said, he knew he was gonna "catch it" the minute he posted those pics. Good to ahve someone like that around. I'm sure if I post some of my cattle he'd be one of the 1st to critique them and end the post with a smiley. At my age I gottta have some laughs occasionally even if they're on me. Give'em he%% Sam and continued best wishes. :clap: OH and by the way, from my experiences Texas has more than it's share of so called "Steak Houses" serving up jerky and shoe tongues. Those are the places that have about 4 different brands of steak sauce on each table. :lol2:

Oldtimer,

Welcome back, I hate to hear about all the flooding in your area. Hopefully things are getting better for you. Have you got all your fences back up yet?
A few years ago we had made a trip over to our friends place in Georgia and they served us some of their Waygu Angus cross beef, I was impressed. I actually went home and ordered five straws of a Waygu bull from (don't hold me to this but I think it was Genex). That year if you took out the five cows that I stuck the Waygu in out of the equation we had a 98% conception rate, but I didn't get one of the cows settled that we bred to the Waygu. I am thinking we got some bad semen. I remember the first time I saw a Waygu bull was at buckeye in OK we were touring the stud and I walked into a barn with two of them and couldn't beleive an AI stud would actually put something that ugly on display. Bottom line is nobody is buying them for their looks, they want the marbling ability that they can put into the mix. Like you I would like to use some of the semen each year for my freezer beef program.

Gizmom

Oldtimer,

Welcome back, I hate to hear about all the flooding in your area. Hopefully things are getting better for you. Have you got all your fences back up yet?
A few years ago we had made a trip over to our friends place in Georgia and they served us some of their Waygu Angus cross beef, I was impressed. I actually went home and ordered five straws of a Waygu bull from (don't hold me to this but I think it was Genex). That year if you took out the five cows that I stuck the Waygu in out of the equation we had a 98% conception rate, but I didn't get one of the cows settled that we bred to the Waygu. I am thinking we got some bad semen. I remember the first time I saw a Waygu bull was at buckeye in OK we were touring the stud and I walked into a barn with two of them and couldn't beleive an AI stud would actually put something that ugly on display. Bottom line is nobody is buying them for their looks, they want the marbling ability that they can put into the mix. Like you I would like to use some of the semen each year for my freezer beef program.

Gizmom

The little bull is looking better. He had a little bit of a set back, one of the adults stepped on his hoof and damaged it, he had to make a trip to the vet and limped around for awhile, he is better now and back to grazing normally.

bull9-10-11.jpg

Looks good, Sam. I can't wait till some know-it-all comes along and runs him down because he doesn't fit their closed minded view of what a beef animal is supposed to look like. Come on people, step up to the plate. :lol2:

VanC":3bq7y6lq said:
Looks good, Sam. I can't wait till some know-it-all comes along and runs him down because he doesn't fit their closed minded view of what a beef animal is supposed to look like. Come on people, step up to the plate. :lol2:

I'm sure he could stand to have a little more muscle. :lol2:

RD-Sam":3qxg7we9 said:
VanC":3qxg7we9 said:

I'm sure he could stand to have a little more muscle. :lol2:

Not to mention some more groceries. :lol2:

Latest posts