???COST OF HAY PRODUCTION???

Help Support CattleToday:

TANK30705

Reaction score
What are the cost factors that should be calculated when producing hay?
1 fuel
2 fertilize
3 twine
4 hauling
5 labor
6 what else? What's some prices on these items?

Just trying to see if im losing money on selling hay?

The initial cost for hay equipment, and maintenance is a biggie. I don't bale hay for anyone but myself. At $20.00 a roll I couldn't make it worth my time, between the weather and travel time I was spinning my wheels for nothing. But I put a high value on my time, when I'm working for someone else.

Maintenance and parts is a big part. Replace a mower gear box, couple tires, and some hydraulic hoses. Hits the pocketbook pretty good like ram said ar 20/bale. Could consider some insurance if your baler is very expensive

I don't think it would ever pencil out to make hay to sell or even for yourself. The only reason I produce my own hay is because I want to control the quality and availability. If I had a guarantee for those two considerations I would sell all my equipment and buy hay. It would be nice to enjoy yourself in the summer months instead and being tied down to the hay field. I haven't had a summer vacation in years.

KW

our flat cost for baling hay is $12 a bale.thats fuel twine and repairs.rake cost $125 replace a wheel.thats all i can think of.but if you was figuring custom cost.those would be $8 a bale standing.$30 a bale to cut rake and bale.$10 a bale to stack hay off to the yard.so thats $48 bale.

When you figure the overall repair and maintenance costs,net wrap costs, fuel and the time involved in hauling all of the equipment, time to cut/rake/bale and time to load/haul, I'm figuring about $33 per bale as a cost. The other consideration in the cost is how far you have to haul all of the equipment and it's not just one trip. We bale our own hay and sell off what we don't need. This year we sold 80 4x5 bales at $55 each delivered.

tnwalkingred":2l11pa8a said:
I don't think it would ever pencil out to make hay to sell or even for yourself. The only reason I produce my own hay is because I want to control the quality and availability. If I had a guarantee for those two considerations I would sell all my equipment and buy hay. It would be nice to enjoy yourself in the summer months instead and being tied down to the hay field. I haven't had a summer vacation in years.

KW
I've waited a little bit to chime in on this post and it seems for some of us it does boil down to what they call " opportunity cost". For some that think there isn't any possibility in making hay for benefit a trip to "you tube" will show they just ain't got the right market or hay field.. Just saying.

tnwalkingred":2pw017ad said:

KW

You nailed it.

I finally gave up on it this year . I had my neighbor bale my fields for me .. next year I'll graze the fields and buy hay from someone else .. I can buy it for less than what it cost me to put out fertilizer and pay him to bale it .. plus the 15 to 20 cows I can run on the field .

everybodys comment that I can buy hay cheaper than I can produce it. think of the quality of hay your buying cant be good they don't have a secret for producing it either.

jedstivers":304wbx7k said:
fenceman":304wbx7k said:
Land that your taking away from grazing.
I don't bale anything I can graze. I have lots more acres I can hay than graze too.

Understood. The majority of my land is unworkable. The portions that are of course provide the best grass. I come out ahead buying my hay. Actually trading fence for the majority of it. Mostly with a couple of large farms over east of i35.
You know, big irrigated outfits that can roll up hay as easy as ringing a bell. I can put up fence just as easy, works good both ways. :cboy:

ragweed":3bju3u58 said:
everybodys comment that I can buy hay cheaper than I can produce it. think of the quality of hay your buying cant be good they don't have a secret for producing it either.
BUT when buying hay you have the opportunity to test the hay yourself before committing to buy it. Buy and price based on quality after testing by an independent lab. A test runs about $12.00. When you raise your own your stuck with what you've got !!!

TB, this is the first year that I haven't had to have our hay tested. The reason being, it all was cut off our place. We fertilize according to soil samples and all the hay was cut at less than 6 weeks. And without our own hay equipment we would of been screwed again. Getting rain when the hay is growing is nice, getting rain when your trying to make hay stinks.

Our Extension service says if you have less than 30 cows it is cheaper in the long run to buy your hay. Verses buying all your equipment and doing it your self.

TexasBred":3thlgli2 said:
ragweed":3thlgli2 said:
BUT when buying hay you have the opportunity to test the hay yourself before committing to buy it. Buy and price based on quality after testing by an independent lab. A test runs about $12.00. When you raise your own your stuck with what you've got !!!

I see your point if you are buying from someone who puts up lots and lots of hay just to sell.
But what about your next door neighbor or good friend down the road, and you're needing 20 or 30 rolls to get thru the winter? Do you say hang on a minute let me have it tested to see the quality you got. Then it comes back way poorer than it looks. You could create sore feelings if your too critical with neighbors. IMO

I see your point if you are buying from someone who puts up lots and lots of hay just to sell.
But what about your next door neighbor or good friend down the road, and you're needing 20 or 30 rolls to get thru the winter? Do you say hang on a minute let me have it tested to see the quality you got. Then it comes back way poorer than it looks. You could create sore feelings if your too critical with neighbors. IMO[/quote]

I guess we all see things differently, I pull no punches for anyone. When it's all said and done a man has his word. And If I'm buying good hay it better be what you said it is. If I'm buying as is hay I'm good with whatever I end up with.

We do not have a meadow set aside just for hay production. We bale the pastures that get ahead of the cows. All pasture is cross fenced. We baled 1100 bales this year that tested 9.5 to 14 percent. We have around 40,000 dollars tied up in hay equipment. The baling of the pastures keep the grass fresh for the cows. The cost for baling this year would have been $27000. We also would have to wait for the custom operator to fit us into his schedule. We could not operate without our own equipment. Did we save money that is a question? We have hay and equipment we could sell if need be. Some of the equipment also does double duty year round in the operation here and is required.