Corn rows

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
The grand daughter asked me why the corn at the end of the rows and the side rows were smaller that the corn in the middle. Didn't really have an answer so I told her that corn likes company and the stalks on the outside was lonely and didn't grow as fast.
Anyone know the right answer.
Thanks...Dave Mc

Susie David":1svxhbyd said:
The grand daughter asked me why the corn at the end of the rows and the side rows were smaller that the corn in the middle. Didn't really have an answer so I told her that corn likes company and the stalks on the outside was lonely and didn't grow as fast.
Anyone know the right answer.
Thanks...Dave Mc

Ends of rows and sides of fields are the "head lands".

This is the area that gets the most traffic from farm equipment.

That means the ground also gets the most packed - the soil is usually a lot harder and the soil often has less nutrients. The hard siol delays seed germination and the ground is slightly less fertile from all of this traffic.

Best answer I can come up with in just a couple of minutes - I am sure there are other reasons, and if so - someone will post.

Regards,

Bez?

We threw three to five kernels in a pile together within six or eight inches or of the next pile, and had planned to thin it out as it came up.. Well, before we knew it, it was up too big to thin, so we just left it. Much to my surprise, the best looking corn is where two or three stalks came up from the same pile, and where there are several 'piles' like that close to one another in the row. In other words, the corn is taller, thicker, and greener where it's the closest together.

Conversely, the areas were only one stalk came up from the pile -- and especially where that stalk is several inches from the next -- it looks weak and spindly.

We've also got a row of sunflowers that came up as volunteers, and the spot that looks the best is right in the middle of the row where they're thick as thieves. One is 9' tall with multiple blooms, right smack in the middle of the row. Out toward the end, where they're more sparse, they're smaller.

I can't explain it either, but it's good to know that I'm not just hallucinating.. :lol:

Having only 2 summers experience with corn (including this one), I've often wondered if it was because there was no protection from the sun and those areas dried out faster because of that. :?:

My uncle taught me to plant corn this way. Sow four to six corn seeds a couple of inches apart, then move down the row a foot and plant four to six more corn seeds a couple of inches apart, etc. My corn likes growing that way much better than in a thinned "proper" row.

So it does appear that corn loves company.
I noticed that also, the multiple mounds do better than the single stalks. Sure thought that I'd get one of our Ag majors to
offer a more technical explination; but then again, simple is often best.
Thanks...Dave Mc

Susie David":zngtn2w9 said:
So it does appear that corn loves company.
I noticed that also, the multiple mounds do better than the single stalks. Sure thought that I'd get one of our Ag majors to
offer a more technical explination; but then again, simple is often best.
Thanks...Dave Mc

The Indians had it down hundreds of years ago. They also planted beans or peas with the corn for added nitrogen.

CORN NEEDS CLOSE NEIGHBORS FOR PROPER POLLINATION.

MASTER GARDENERS NOW RECOMMEND THAT CORN BE PLANTED IN SQUARES INSTEAD OF ROWS. [FOR HOME GARDEN].

MOM

Some more information on the outside corn rows.

The fertilizer now days is broad casted, and the price of the stuff no one wants it to fly out of the field, so lot of the time it comes up short. and a little wind would push it back a row or two. Same with the herbicide and pesticide. And the soil at the edges of the field is usually not tilled as well as the inner stuff. :D

I'm only talking about field corn here. I think sweet corn may have other issues :cboy:

Edges of our fields usually have a problem with the wicking effect from trees. Haven't thought about equipment compaction due to turn arounds but that makes a lot of sense.

Latest posts