Corn Prices aid beef

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
From http://www.beef-mag.com

High corn prices could aid beef

Jan 1, 2007 12:00 PM

Over the course of the last several months, as I've moved cattle and fixed fence, I've tried to sort out the impact the ethanol boom is having on the beef industry. My formal training is in the area of ruminant nutrition, although I've been a full-time cowhand for more than 10 years.

I think the net effect of ethanol on the beef cattle industry is going to be positive, but I want to float some mental meanderings in the hope of generating discussion.

For years I've complained about grain subsidies, primarily due to their effect on lowering the market price of program crops by reducing the cost of production. As a producer of feeder cattle, I like cheap corn. However, my competition, Tyson and Smithfield, absolutely love cheap corn.

In beef production, appreciable quantities of feed grains aren't part of the diet until after weaning, and possibly not until at least 120 days prior to harvest. Conversely, the pork and poultry industries rely almost solely on feed grains for the breeding female herd and in every production segment until harvest.

Cheap corn helps poultry

I ran through some calculations several years ago. My numbers suggest a reduction in corn prices was about 50% more beneficial to the pork and poultry industries than the beef industry. Of course, the inverse would be true about an increase in corn prices.

Consequently, if $3/bu. corn is here to stay, it will cause some pain for the beef industry and force some readjustments in how we do business. However, it will absolutely clobber pork and poultry.

The second and equally important consideration is the byproduct generated from the ethanol-production process. The chemical and physical properties of distiller's grains will allow it to price into beef cattle diets more effectively than in poultry or swine diets.

Corn and soybean meal diets work extremely well for non-ruminant species because the mix of amino acids effectively matches the needs of the animal for maximum growth and production. However, the amino acid profile of distiller's grains requires the addition of synthetic amino acids in the diets to attain a similar level of production as that generated with corn/soybean meal diets.

Of course, it's also a requirement that the distiller's grains be dried if they are to be moved through bins and augers. To be used in beef or dairy diets, this byproduct can be fed wet without impairing production, and even improving production in some cases. Of course, if plants can sell the product wet, they don't incur the expense of drying it. Thus, they can sell it for a lower price.

The defining rule of biological systems is the individuals that flourish are the ones that can best adapt to the environment. A similar statement would seem equally applicable to an economic system.

While grain subsidies and the inexpensive feed-grain supply it provided wasn't the sole reason the poultry industry flourished over the last 20 years, its ascent couldn't have happened without them. While the government didn't mean to discriminate against the beef industry by implementing these subsidies, that's exactly what happened.

If $3+/bu. corn is here to stay as a result of a government policy encouraging ethanol production, I don't think it's a problem for the beef industry. It's an opportunity to further regain the retail market share the poultry industry stole from us.

Mark Sip
Geddes, SD

Ps. If you do not have Subscription to Beef Magazine they have free subscriptions that you can request online here

http://subscribe.beef-mag.com/subscribe.cfm?tc=NNWEB

This is an interesting theory. I don't see things turning out that way myself. Health nuts these days getting further and further away from red meats. Just the other day I seen some of them on tv talking about how it takes the human body at least 48 hours to digest a steak. It actually has to rot in our stomachs before we can start digesting it. Don't get me wrong though, I am a STRONG supporter of beef and love steak as well as a good turkey sandwich. I hope the best for both markets.

I agree to a point---
But you haven't factored in import competition.

The cattle industry can keep calves till yearlings on cheaper pasture gains- but will still have to compete with imports that have less expense in raising cattle on pasture(mostly land and labor costs)

I'm a contract grower for Pilgrims Pride chicken. When corn prices get high, they just start feeding milo to make up for it. It dosent do quite as well as corn but its cheaper for them I guess. And, you may not live in poultry country but I do, and I can tell you that 99% of poultry growers also raise beef for a living. All this talk about stealing from the beef industry is a bunch of BS. No one is going to eat beef all the time. The same is also true for chicken and pork.

It has more to do with the economy than anything else.
If Wall Street is faultering there go jobs, as Min wage goes up there goes the cost of living. Americans are going to play, and don't mind paying to play. Let the price of food go up or a gallon of gasoline and all crap breaks loose. The same consumer will pay 4 dollars a gallon for bottled water When money gets tighter Suzy homemaker is not going to buy the 7 dollar steak when she can buy the 2 dollar chicken.
They will still buy the bottled water.

Caustic Burno":3libw80x said:
It has more to do with the economy than anything else.
If Wall Street is faultering there go jobs, as Min wage goes up there goes the cost of living. Americans are going to play, and don't mind paying to play. Let the price of food go up or a gallon of gasoline and all crap breaks loose. The same consumer will pay 4 dollars a gallon for bottled water When money gets tighter Suzy homemaker is not going to buy the 7 dollar steak when she can buy the 2 dollar chicken.
They will still buy the bottled water.

I think what your saying about the water is true. I don't know what I personally would do if I had to buy meat, as far as if things were tight which I would pick. I think Beef has a major advantage in the aspect of "ground beef" I mean man you can use it for anything.!. The thing against chicken is who could eat it everyday for a long period of time. There is only so much you can do w/it. Turkey is a little more versatile, Lunchmeat, turkey bacon, oven baked, etc. But beef! It is never ending.

Again Just my Opinion, Kinda resembles my families habits also. ;-)

Latest posts