Corn, Beef, Fuel and other prices in general

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Didn't want to highjack the corn thread, but the post got me to thinking. Does anyone have any records they could share regarding beef, corn and fuel prices from a few years back? Just curious as to how our business is holding its own in regard to inflation or are we losing ground. I hear a lot of people talking about high cattle prices but I was wondering if they are really high in relation to the rising cost of fuel, fertilizer, land and other things - sometime I feel like the mule with the carrot dangling in front of my face - if you know what I mean.

Jogeephus":rp6kb1yy said:
sometime I feel like the mule with the carrot dangling in front of my face - if you know what I mean.

That dangling carrot wouldn;t be so bad if they'ld quit wacking me over the head with the stick that it's dangling from

dun

It is the cost of water that is outrageous. Bottled water costs more than a bottle of coke. There used to be drinking fountains at the service stations.

backhoeboogie":20d77xlm said:
It is the cost of water that is outrageous. Bottled water costs more than a bottle of coke. There used to be drinking fountains at the service stations.

I still have clean pure well water, and bring my own with me. 8)

I know cattle numbers in the US are on a steady decline. Here in MN [and I think most everywhere] cow/calf producers are a deing breed. Most of us are the last that will be raising cattle on our land. Most of our land will be sold to developers or for recreation.
The better farmland is bought up by corporations and center pivits put on then its crops corn, beans, and potatos. Young farmers cannot go into dept for a cow/calf opperation.

The US does not and cannot be self sufficient in beef production, we import more and more each year.
I think I strayed away from the question a bit.
:cboy:

mnmt

The rec land market is really driving up the prices of pasture around here.. That is if there are any trees on them. Amazing what a piece of garbage sandhill pasture that can't grow anything but some sparse grass and cactus with a few old cottonwoods and oaks will bring these days. Had a place offered to us last year near by that would be a great addition to this place.. Almost chocked when I heard the price...

Some land around here that averaged out at 1800 an acre in 2000 would bring closer to 4000 an acre now with the right buyer (These are big places that people love doing exchanges for)

Up here we're having the northern migration of the folks from Calfornia with fat check books...seeing the new super crop being grown around here...cookie cutter sub-divisions.
Hate to go to farm auctions anymore.
Oh yeah...corn is still ten cents a pound from the Brethern...and my pick-up will hold 3280#.
DMc

10 cents a pound? That is like 5 dollar+ corn with 50-55 pounds in a bushel.. Yikes... Of course, you are out west and I know corn is a bit more out there.. I can't even tell you what the elevators are charging for corn, will have to look at the next bill when we get it for the broiler feed the wife bought for her chickens.. I know they are paying around 3.25 (maybe 3.50 it keeps fluctuating) locally to buy corn from the farmers and you know they add in a bit more on top of that for their profit when they are selling.

You can't touch anything for $4,000 an acre around here. The shame is the developers take the prime farm land and make housing additions out of it. There is waste land that would be perfect for all those rock walls and land scaping.

I get tickled at Dallas. Each year they put in several more acres of concrete in roads and parking lots. When it comes a 3 inch rain in about an hours time, all that water has to go some where. None of it can soak in anymore. Roads that used to be fine are now becoming streams. Houses that used to be fine now have canals dumping into them. What do they do? Add more concrete.

Susie David":17mv115c said:
Up here we're having the northern migration of the folks from Calfornia with fat check books...seeing the new super crop being grown around here...cookie cutter sub-divisions.
Hate to go to farm auctions anymore.
Oh yeah...corn is still ten cents a pound from the Brethern...and my pick-up will hold 3280#.
DMc
Sorry to say Susie, your not getting a bargin there. That would be 200. $ per ton and you are hauling. 130 dollars per ton would be more like it, and that would still be above maket price if its loaded in your truck. Ya I know its the local market.

Less than ten years ago I bought some land for $250 per acre, three years later I bought the farm adjoining it - with a lot of haggling - for $1500 per acre. Now the land is selling for $4500 per acre thanks to the half backs coming into our area and buying land with 1031 money. Now our local government has discovered traffic lights and other "improvements" and have tripled our land taxes to pay for these things to flount our prosperity.

Personally, I felt pretty prosperporous when I turned a yearly return of $200 on $250 per acre land. Felt Ok with same return on $1500 per acre land, but the same return on $4500 per acre land is pretty darn meager. Plus, it seems I could buy 100 gallons more off road diesel with a sale of a heifer than I can today.

So to me it seems, though we talk about high cattle prices, are they - in relation to our buying power and today's rising costs? I don't buy bottled water or the little coolaid stuff you can add to it that puts it at $2.00 a bottle. I live a simple life. I hate to say this, but I don't like cattle enough to pay for the privelege of owning some. If rising costs get out of hand and taxes continue to excalate, I probably have to start raising houses - though I hope it never comes to this. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a whiner, just thinking about our "new prosperity" and our new $20,000 water fountain the county is planning on putting in.

land prices are the craziest, there is 10 ac's full of brush and trees, not good trees, scrubby ones. across the road from us, if you buy the whole 10 ac, he will sell for 40,000, but if you just want 5 brushy acs then it will be 25,000. it sits right beside the rail road tracks, what a deal. i wouldnt mind buying it just to keep people from building over there, but not for that kind of cash.

mnmtranching":huft2jro said:
I know cattle numbers in the US are on a steady decline.

I personally wouldnt say that. There is definetely a steady decrease in producers but the number of cattle seems to be holding pretty steady. Its tough being young and going into this very hard trade but there are three things I see to do: Turn the regular old farm from farm to business, find a nitch market, or just go broke and die, either way I have to have some ole' leather hides running around me :cboy:

Latest posts